Ecoboost Owner Forums

Engine Hood Vents For My SHO (Completed 05/25/12)

Holy sh!t, Holy sh!t, Holy sh!t!

I became increasingly concerned as the day passed, and no update(s) from the body shop.

I was growing worried believing that they f'd up and just didn't want to tell me about it. Yikes!

Finally, I had it, I was about to crack. I couldn't hold out anymore. I lived up to my promise by not stopping by their shop unannounced. I did text their secretary though simply stating the following..... "Should I be worried? Or do I even wanna know?".

She replied, "I am off today, I do not know". I apologized and left it at that.

So closer and closer and CLOSER to 5pm (end of business day) and I telephoned the shop themselves.

I ended up speaking to the one brother (co-owner of business) who DOES NOT handle the customizing. He's very much by the book, and doesn't really think outside of the proverbial box. He leaves custom stuff to his brother. Even with all of that said, I've never known him to be like overly positive by any means.

But, he proceeds to tell me that not only did they get the holes cut (and successfully) but the car was baking as they opted to paint the cut edges to prevent rust (even though they won't be seen mind you) but goes onto state the following "Mike, you are going to be very, VERY HAPPY with the results".

I was flabberghasted as I have never known this individual to ever be so positive about any outcome of their work. He's always like "We could've done this, or we should've done this" and blah blah blah.

So he offers to email pictures of their progress up to this point, to which I eagerly replied "That'd be much, MUCH appreciated".

So below are the five images total they emailed me just a lil while ago:

HoodVentInstall1of5.jpg

HoodVentInstall2of5.jpg

HoodVentInstall3of5.jpg

HoodVentInstall4of5.jpg

HoodVentInstall5of5.jpg

I'm so freak'n stoked lemme tell all of you! :whoo:

So before we disconnected, he informed me that they wanted to ensure the continued structurally rigidity of the hood (in an overall manner) and went one step further by shooting some type of hi-grade professional body shop quality caulk or something into some of the openings where the hood material is like doubled up and what have you, as they were now some what compromised due to the mere cutting of the holes in order to facilitate installing of the vents/extractors themselves.

I must say, pure artwork. I am continually amazed at this facility's abilties to create in reality, some of the things that are bouncing around my head when it comes to modding my various cars over the years. Just amazed.

Before disconnecting, I did ask about an estimated completion and he advised they were shooting for around 12 noon (CDT) tomorrow because they all wanted to get the hell out of there for the upcoming, holiday, Memorial Day weekend.

So even though I myself am working this entire weekend, I am hoping to get y'all some completed pics AFTER I get the car back, but BEFORE having to go into work myself.

Keep staying tuned is all I can ask.

Mike :yo:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that looks great!!!

If you didn't know you would have thought it was from the factory.

Rick

Thanks Rick for the kind words. :hail:

It means a lot coming from someone of your caliber.

I too am just beside myself with this body shop.

I would agree with you on the factory appearance. Scope out that pic of the underside of the engine hood really closely.....

You can see that their measurements (and subsequent cutting of the holes) is quite literally SPOT ON!

When I dropped off the car to them, I said "Put 'em wherever you think is best, as it relates to w/e the hell is going on underneath. My biggest concern is symmetry. I want a mirror image on either side and I will measure it myself, so please be as accurate as possible".

It appears they listened. Hahaha.........

Very happy right now and am more excited than ever for the finishing touches!

Sweet.... Mike I can't wait to see all put together. Looks like they did a top notch job, as the structural stand point I doubt it effect much. But the body adhesive was good idea that way there is no squeaks or rattles. I know on the super cobra jets that we build there are no structural under lining on the hood, huge weight reduction. But very flimsy, hence the 4 hood pins.

Hey Bob. I like that I idea!!! You could drive people crazy! Seriously Mike, it looks awesome. I wish I had a body shop that would be willing to do that high quality of work and wouldn't mind doing the mod stuff instead of just insurance funded repairs. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished project, I think it will be fabulous! Again, really jealous that you have a great body shop that works with you. But I agree with Rick, it really does look like this was a factory job, and the extra they did to keep the hood rigid really impresses me.

I wish I had a body shop that would be willing to do that high quality of work and wouldn't mind doing the mod stuff instead of just insurance funded repairs.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished project, I think it will be fabulous!

Again, really jealous that you have a great body shop that works with you.

But I agree with Rick, it really does look like this was a factory job, and the extra they did to keep the hood rigid really impresses me.

Well, since my shop has already done the job now (albeit once) I can always PM you their contact info as they have the measurements and what not and you can touch base with them yourself and arrange to ship either your own SHO engine hood to them (for modification) or......

You can arrange to ship an entirely separate new (or used) hood to them for the same modification purposes.

Just an idea my friend :brick:

Although I have yet to pick up the car......

Shop's Secretary just texted me telling me to check my email.

Therefore, I did and prior to opening the attachment, I laughed cuz it was titled "BADASSSHO".

You bet all of your sweet lil asses I'll be taking more pics afterwards, but feast your eyes on this one, solitary image in the interim:

HoodVentsCompleted052512.jpg

:RpS_drool: :RpS_drool: :RpS_drool: :RpS_drool: :RpS_drool:

Mike, I ran your idea by my mechanic and he said it actually is a very good idea, as heat is the anti-christ to engine wear. He wanted to know as I do, how have you solved the issue of stoppping debris from enter the extractors? Thanks and it looks fantastic. Kudos for being the first one up. Bryan

Wow, wow, wow!!! That is f'ing sweet. They came out better then ever imagined. Congrats on the idea and a great execution of it! Very nice!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

And if nothing else, you can spend your time off during the holiday week-end admiring this latest mod during the hot Illinois week-end!

Just picked up the car from the shop...... I tell you what, i felt like I should be on the show "Pimp My Ride" or something along those lines.

I was awestruck to see it in person! :faint:

Fit and finish are impeccable. The fabricator commented that they "Snapped right into place" and "They fit like a glove".

He said the majority of the work involved positioning as they had to take into consideration a multitude of factors, both above, and below the hood.

Two things came to mind as I was eye raping my own car.....

1.) The hood should be slightly lighter now with a bunch of metal chopped out of it.

2.) I wonder what an after market, upgraded BOV might sound like?

You should've seen literally every person goose neck'n as I drove out of not only the shop's facility, but also while driving home. Truck drivers, LEO, people in regular cars.

It was a pretty cool feeling I must admit.

Now I am unfortunately working this entire weekend, which means a very, VERY busy 3 days, of back-to-back 12hr shifts.

As such, not much time to enjoy the car at this moment as I'm get'n ready to lay down for a power nap here.

Glad all of you liked the one pic I did post, as such, I whipped out my shitty digi cam and snapped off a few more... not the greatest pics, but pics nonetheless.

I suppose after I pick my set of after market TSW Nurburgring's, I'm gonna have to reach out to my photog pal and arrange another photo shoot after that next mod gets completed.

I think someone asked about debris or what have you entering into the openings.....

Seriously, not worried about it at all. The car's a garage queen, and if inclimate weather occurs (since I DD it) on those rare occassions I'm motoring around, I'm really not concerned.

I mean seriously? How much debris (for those expressing that concern) do you think is gonna get in there? I can answer that, minimal, at best.

Water? Eh..... again, not worried about it. I'll repeat, the engine compartment is by no means a water tight, water proof enclosure. Water, etc get's in from the underside, as it does enter through the fornt upper and lower grilles. I'm hardly worried about some tiny, vented holes in which have screening incorporated into them by design.

So onto the pics (and good night, I'll check back with y'all later tonight). Enjoy your Holiday weekend everyone! :thumb:

002-8.jpg

003-7.jpg

001-10.jpg

004-5.jpg

005-4.jpg

Archived