Ecoboost Owner Forums

Engine Hood Vents For My SHO (Completed 05/25/12)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SUPER SHARP! Mike' date=' I am really digging. One question, has it effected the cars sound at all? Hear the turbos any better, or blow off louder?[/b']

Mind you, the shop is barely 10min form my residence and I had the A/C on (windows closed) but yes, I actually could hear them and was quite surprised.

Kind of why I'm think'n about the whole after market, upgraded BOV.... maybe an HKS Universal one perhaps?

Oughta sound sick being positioned right under the vents.

Alright seriously, done with lunch, am going to lay down now for my old man power nap. TTYL.

You can arrange to ship an entirely separate new (or used) hood to them for the same modification purposes.

Maybe your shop can sell templates so it can be done locally.

Hey about that...a bpd1151 hood vent kit that have the vents, templates and installation instructions :RpS_biggrin:.

Hey about that...a bpd1151 hood vent kit that have the vents, templates and installation instructions :RpS_biggrin:.

Although that sounds like a great idea on it's surface, initial thoughts are doubtful.

This shop knows this was a 1st of it's kind mod, and although they admitted to retaining templates, measurements, etc. etc. for future use, I wouldn't imagine they'd be willing to sell them (outright) in the same token.

I did mention that there seemed to be some interest (from others here/online) to do this mod as well and that perhaps they'd be interested in receiving hoods (via shipment) in order to do the mods and then ship them back out.

They seemed receptive. No clue on intended costs, but if there's genuine interest, I could make more concrete inquiries on those interested parties behalves :noidea:

Man that looks damn nice. Thats just crazy how well they fit the car.

Thanks RFS...... :hail:

They turned out even better than I envisioned them to be.

For the short amount of driving I did with it today after having picked it up, people (some mind you, who aren't even like "car people") have been commenting abut how sinister she looks.

I couldn't be happier with my local body shop for their talents and abilites.

Maybe I'll garner some attention from FMC themselves? It'd be kinda cool to be featured in their quarterly magazine that's for sure.

Who knows, one could hope :noidea:

Listen here mike, you are very close to making me eat my words of constructive criticism....

I'm kinda hungry so I'm looking forward to that meal.

Hope you're enjoying that meal.

I'd bargain to say you should have a pretty full belly by the time you are done. :boink:

Although that sounds like a great idea on it's surface, initial thoughts are doubtful.

This shop knows this was a 1st of it's kind mod, and although they admitted to retaining templates, measurements, etc. etc. for future use, I wouldn't imagine they'd be willing to sell them (outright) in the same token.

I did mention that there seemed to be some interest (from others here/online) to do this mod as well and that perhaps they'd be interested in receiving hoods (via shipment) in order to do the mods and then ship them back out.

They seemed receptive. No clue on intended costs, but if there's genuine interest, I could make more concrete inquiries on those interested parties behalves :noidea:

Totally understandable; they have a lot invested on this. You are lucky to have a shop buddy that's works with you on these type of projects. Again...looking sharp my man!!

Besides if Mike's shop can do the work in only a few days, it could be an awesome field trip, out to get the heat extractors installed, visit and meet Mike, if he's available and then off to Livernois and any other sightseeing one might want to do in the great Midwest!:thumb:

Besides if Mike's shop can do the work in only a few days' date=' it could be an awesome field trip, out to get the heat extractors installed, visit and meet Mike, if he's available and then off to Livernois and any other sightseeing one might want to do in the great Midwest!:thumb:[/quote']

I flew from SoCal into Omaha NE and from there drove the MidWest backroads to Kansas City MO last year when the main freeway (I think it was 29) was flooded. It is indeed beautiful. I lot of corn fields though; reminded me of the "Children of the Corn" movie :RpS_scared:lol. I would love a road trip to Manhattan, IL then off to LMS. It only 2000 miles away :wacko:. Someday.......maybe someday..........

Besides if Mike's shop can do the work in only a few days' date=' it could be an awesome field trip, out to get the heat extractors installed, visit and meet Mike, if he's available and then off to Livernois and any other sightseeing one might want to do in the great Midwest![/b'] :thumb:

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind hosting if that's the case.

I dropped my car off at thier facility this past Wednesday morning (and they had it pulled into the shop within minutes).

Then picked it up Friday, late afternoon. 2.5 day turn-a-round :hail:

I would say now that the majority of the work is done (measurements, placement, templates, etc) I'm sure they can shorten that down to a straight 2 days depending on their other jobs and/or workload at that time :noidea:

But, yes, would be more than happy to host fellow EcoBooster's for beer/food etc. while the work's getting completed.

Finally, my long, Holiday work weekend is over.

14 consecutive hours Friday. 13 consecutive hours Saturday & 18 consecutive hours Sunday. Good God.

Anyhow, after crawling into bed this morning & then waking up several hours later, I wanted to share a pretty neat observation that i've noticed since having picked up my car from the body shop Friday afternoon.....

All weekend long I was noticing a very distinct, audible "whooshing" noise.

More so when upshifting from a stop, through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

I confirmed these observations a lil while ago when motoring around just for the f@ck of it and was purposely recreating the noise.

It appears on the driver's side, the bottom most two slats / openings of the hood vent, is above the cavity or opening for the CAI.

So essentially I guess i'm getting air intake from two sources (the factory OEM inlet and now a portion of the hood vent opening, as i've never heard the noise before).

I find it actually kind of cool actually.

Not sure what, if any, performance may have been gained, but hot damn it's cool as f@ck to hear.

Just wanted to share.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Finally, my long, Holiday work weekend is over.

14 consecutive hours Friday. 13 consecutive hours Saturday & 18 consecutive hours Sunday. Good God.

Anyhow, after crawling into bed this morning & then waking up several hours later, I wanted to share a pretty neat observation that i've noticed since having picked up my car from the body shop Friday afternoon.....

All weekend long I was noticing a very distinct, audible "whooshing" noise.

More so when upshifting from a stop, through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

I confirmed these observations a lil while ago when motoring around just for the f@ck of it and was purposely recreating the noise.

It appears on the driver's side, the bottom most two slats / openings of the hood vent, is above the cavity or opening for the CAI.

So essentially I guess i'm getting air intake from two sources (the factory OEM inlet and now a portion of the hood vent opening, as i've never heard the noise before).

I find it actually kind of cool actually.

Not sure what, if any, performance may have been gained, but hot damn it's cool as f@ck to hear.

Just wanted to share.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I would guess what is really happening is that they are working as air extractors from the engine compartment. This is just as "cool" as you are pulling in more air from other areas. Same idea as the hood on the new Camaro ZL-1, which also has air vents.

And... it should help cooling, by increasing the air flow thru your radiator, even though you have a bigger one than stock.

But... The BLING and "Visual Fluff" is definitely worth it, even if they don't do a damn thing!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if they could create Methanol out of air... that would really help you.............

I second that, would be willing to pay for Mike and Torrie to put a kit together like this with some parts, templates and instructions!!!

Just wanted to provide an update for those of you who were semi-concerned about moisture, debris, etc getting into the engine bay.

I had to work last night, and as such, my car sat outside during an all afternoon, and entire overnight rain episode that took place here in Chi-Town.

The rain was constant, and steady, lasting several hours (14+) and my area recv'd almost 3" of rainfall total.

Did moisture get into the engine bay? Sure.

Was it of any detriment, or negative resulting experience. Nope.

Not at all.

So, for any of who may be considering this mod for themselves, understand (as I previously stated) the engine compartment is by no means a water-tight, water-proof enclosure.

Moisture gets in. Plain and simple.

I can't tell you how many compliments I have recv'd thus far on this mod alone. The looks, the stares, the double takes..... it's borderline insane how many people look now at my SHO.

Driving her around since this install...... even more sick!

To hear the "wooshing" sound of the turbo's (even more evident now) is downright exotic. The car feels like she's "pulling" slightly better now and I think this may be entirely due to the bottom 2 inlets on the Driver's Side Hood Vent allowing for true, fresh, cold air to enter into the cavity of the Airaid CAI.

So now I'm sure she's drawing air from not only the factory, OEM inlet up front, but also secondarily, from the Driver's Side Hood Vent.

To say I am pleased with this mod would be an understatement!

Tits, Tits, Tits :first:

Its very sharp to say the least Mike, I have shown off your pics at work to a few of the fellas and they all agree as well. As far the weather getting in was never a concern of mine or Ford for that matter cause the set up isn't really that different on the Mustang either. I got a lot of catching up to do my friend, meth kit, vents and now wheels! I feel like I'm driving a old HoopDEE now.

It's very sharp to say the least Mike, I have shown off your pics at work to a few of the fellas and they all agree as well.

As far the weather getting in was never a concern of mine or Ford for that matter cause the set up isn't really that different on the Mustang either.

I got a lot of catching up to do my friend, meth kit, vents and now wheels! I feel like I'm driving a old HoopDEE now.

Thanks Chris! Glad to hear that even some of your co-workers at FMC are pleased with the sh!tty images I did post (of the hood vent mod).

My hope at this point is maybe to achieve an article/photo spot in that quarterly Ford Mag that all owners get in the mail.

That'd be cool for sure. :thumb:

Your SHO will get there to my friend. All in due time. Hell, even I'm finding myself a lil jealous of Darrell and First-SHO Mike as each have achieved their own goals respectfully.

Speaking of goals....... I ordered up my TSW wheels today.

Info posted here-----------------> http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?168-Staggered-wheel-set-up

Let the jealousy ensue :bolt:

Nice, thanks for the update. I really like this mod and I would really give it serious consideration myself. I am sure that the fresh air is nothing but a benefit for the engine, as we all know heat is an enemy of all engines and performance. However, if I were to do this mod, I'm really not sure whether I would want to do the extractors in candy red to match the car or in silver like the other accents....decisions, decisions:noidea:

Archived