Ecoboost Owner Forums

MGP caliper cover

[ATTACH]404[/ATTACH][ATTACH]405[/ATTACH][ATTACH]406[/ATTACH][ATTACH]407[/ATTACH]Ok, bought these from a fellow member on the site last week. Tackled the install today after work. Working with the jack provided from ford and basic hand tools I installed them in about an hour. The quality is great and it's a simple install concept. The spacers provided for the front seem to be good quality and they fit just fine. There is no rub on the rim up front with the spacers but the clips used to attach the covers are a b$i@ch!! I spent the majority of time trying to adjust them so they didn't rub the rotor. Super tight fit. I still have some rub so I will be re bending them tomorrow. But they look great!

post-47-142532293369_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293373_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293377_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293382_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293369_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293373_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293377_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293382_thumb.jpg

The clips can be tough to get just right, it took me quite a bit of time to get them just right so they weren't rubbing on the edge of the rotor. Good luck with yours. I'm glad I'm not the only guy here who likes the way the covers look...I pretty much got nailed to the wall for having them at the old place. :mad2:

The clips can be tough to get just right' date=' it took me quite a bit of time to get them just right so they weren't rubbing on the edge of the rotor. Good luck with yours. I'm glad I'm not the only guy here who likes the way the covers look...I pretty much got nailed to the wall for having them at the old place. :mad2:[/quote']

Yeah it's a pain but worth it. They look very nice. I plan on painting the rest of the caliper black just to make it blend better. Any tips for getting the clips right?

I got so frustrated that I put the covers back into the box to try again sometime. My issue was the clips rubbing the rotors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. No I'm going to go down and Plasti-Dip my peeling chrome taillights! Already did the grille.

Update: I just fired off an e-mail to MPG about the problem with the clips rubbing. I will let you know when I receive an answer from them. FYI, when I contacted them in the past they were very quick to return my e-mails and help fix my problem, as I purchased my covers before the spacers came with the covers. Here is a copy of my e-mail to them:

Hi, it has recently come to my attention that several people (besides myself) that have purchased your caliper covers for the new 2010-12 Taurus SHO are experiencing the same problem. It seems that the clips used to hold the covers in place are impossible to use without having them rub the edge of the rotors, this is more of a problem on the front calipers, but does exist with the rear. Several people that have recently purchased the covers have commented at Ecoboost Owners Forum that they have the same problem with the clips rubbing. I have had my covers for over a year and still have a problem with the clips rubbing the edge of the rotors. Since this is becoming a major concern on the forum, and suggestions or solutions you can offer would be appreciated. I will be glad to pass them on to the others on the forum to help solve this problem that all of us seem to be experiencing. Thanks for your help and attention to this matter. Mark

Will pass on anything I hear from them.

Update: I just fired off an e-mail to MPG about the problem with the clips rubbing. I will let you know when I receive an answer from them. FYI, when I contacted them in the past they were very quick to return my e-mails and help fix my problem, as I purchased my covers before the spacers came with the covers. Here is a copy of my e-mail to them:

Hi, it has recently come to my attention that several people (besides myself) that have purchased your caliper covers for the new 2010-12 Taurus SHO are experiencing the same problem. It seems that the clips used to hold the covers in place are impossible to use without having them rub the edge of the rotors, this is more of a problem on the front calipers, but does exist with the rear. Several people that have recently purchased the covers have commented at Ecoboost Owners Forum that they have the same problem with the clips rubbing. I have had my covers for over a year and still have a problem with the clips rubbing the edge of the rotors. Since this is becoming a major concern on the forum, and suggestions or solutions you can offer would be appreciated. I will be glad to pass them on to the others on the forum to help solve this problem that all of us seem to be experiencing. Thanks for your help and attention to this matter. Mark

Will pass on anything I hear from them.

Big thanks from the rest of us!

Update: I used a thin piece of cardboard to jam in between the clips and the rotor to adjust and tighten the clips down. I did this to ensure even spacing top and bottom. Then I removed the cardboard. I then used a very thin flat tip screwdriver to bend the clips away from the rotor while they were installed on the car. The clearance is enough to slide a couple sheets of paper through, but it worked! No more rubbing. I took her out for a long test drive afterwards alternating rolling up and down all 4 windows to listen for scraping. Pain in the a$$ though. Now I know why the guy I bought them from sold them to me so cheap!

Big thanks from the rest of us!

Update: I used a thin piece of cardboard to jam in between the clips and the rotor to adjust and tighten the clips down. I did this to ensure even spacing top and bottom. Then I removed the cardboard. I then used a very thin flat tip screwdriver to bend the clips away from the rotor while they were installed on the car. The clearance is enough to slide a couple sheets of paper through, but it worked! No more rubbing. I took her out for a long test drive afterwards alternating rolling up and down all 4 windows to listen for scraping. Pain in the a$$ though. Now I know why the guy I bought them from sold them to me so cheap!

Ran into the same thing today with my install... had clearance until I hit the track was was doing some very heavy braking coming down from 105 MPH in the shutdown area... seems the rotors expanded enough to start touching the clip just a bit... oh, well... LOL

I think the covers look really nice, but have you considered painting the calipers? It's not as costly, not too difficult to do, and very durable if you use a kit such as the G2. Here's what mine look like:

Front with SHO decal- [ATTACH=CONFIG]412[/ATTACH]

Back - [ATTACH=CONFIG]413[/ATTACH]

post-76-142532286795_thumb.jpg

post-76-142532286796_thumb.jpg

post-76-142532286795_thumb.jpg

post-76-142532286796_thumb.jpg

How can I get those center caps? very nice.....

I think the covers look really nice, but have you considered painting the calipers? It's not as costly, not too difficult to do, and very durable if you use a kit such as the G2. Here's what mine look like:

Front with SHO decal- [ATTACH=CONFIG]412[/ATTACH]

Back - [ATTACH=CONFIG]413[/ATTACH]

Very nice! I actually bought caliper paint to touch up around the covers. I have used it before and did not like having to touch up chips every couple of months. Once you get these covers to fit right I think they are a very nice mod.

I've used the G2 on my CTS-V & SRT Jeep and in 80K miles of driving on those 2 vehicles, have never had issues with peeling or chipping. I did use the duplicolor spray on kit for my wifes SS Trailblazer and did have to touch those up a few times. That is why I went with G2 kit for my SHO.

As for the center cap overlay decals, I got them from a seller off eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Taurus-SHO-2010-2011-Wheel-Center-Cap-SHO-Graphic2-/180723707761?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a13f8ef71

Just checked my email and here's the response from MPG. They are willing to supply a free set of caliper covers to any member in the San Diego area who will bring their car in and allow them to use it to check the clip rubbing issue. Here's a copy of the e-mail I received:

Cc: mjhpadi@ptd.net

Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 10:52 AM

Subject: RE: Caliper Covers on the new Taurus SHO

Mark,

Thank you for your email. I am aware that a TSB was issued in 2010 that changed the front caliper bracket and that caused some issues with the clips.

I would like any input the solve this problem. I typically look at three things: Clip width, clip gap and bridge angle (angle of the caliper cover arm).

If any members are in the San Diego area we will offer a free set of caliper covers for coming in and having our tech team verify fit and clearances.

Thanks!

Mike Barland

MGP Caliper Covers

619-754-4099

• 3 months later...

Archived