Ecoboost Owner Forums

I also tried.....Plasti dip

Ok so after seeing how awesome everything is turning out for everyone else using this amazing product I decided to try it. Here's what I did and how it came out. [ATTACH]408[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]409[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]410[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]411[/ATTACH]

Tomorrow I will be doing the gay chrome around the tail lights. Plasti dip ftw!

post-47-142532293386_thumb.jpg

post-47-14253229339_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293395_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293399_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293386_thumb.jpg

post-47-14253229339_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293395_thumb.jpg

post-47-142532293399_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Any thoughts of plasti dipping all the chrome parts

That's my thoughts. Its a lot harder than it seems though. Some things cannot be removed, like the stupid window trim. And then you have things like the Taurus fender vents. I tried doing those but the plasti dip filled up all the lettering and it looked funny. Going to think of something else. Maybe powdercoat.

That's my thoughts. Its a lot harder than it seems though. Some things cannot be removed' date=' like the stupid window trim. And then you have things like the Taurus fender vents. I tried doing those but the plasti dip filled up all the lettering and it looked funny. Going to think of something else. Maybe powdercoat.[/quote']

How about filling the letters up with something like Vaseline. Spray the object, heat and remove the vaseline.

There is also a "liquid mask" product that is used by R/C car modelers to mask off small details in the scale bodies for painting. You apply it with a brush, can trim with a hobby knife once dry, then peel it off after painting. The other nice thing about it is since it goes on in liquid, there really is no concern that the paint will bleed behind it like you can have with masking tape.

-Rod

Hmmm these suggestions sound tempting. I thought about putting painter tape over it and cutting around it. The lettering is so small it's tough though.

i tried this myself and it was hard, it didnt come out like i hoped so after trimming around the letters i ended up leaving it chrome. You can go to my page and see some pictures of all the crhome being covered up, I personally dont like chrome.

i tried this myself and it was hard' date=' it didnt come out like i hoped so after trimming around the letters i ended up leaving it chrome. You can go to my page and see some pictures of all the crhome being covered up, I personally dont like chrome.[/quote']

Yeah I am the anti-chrome guy. I watched a tutorial on dipyourcar.com. I'm going to try again this weekend. If it goes well I'm going to do the window trim, emblems, grill and the pieces around the leds in the front bumper. Then it might be the wheels with glossifier.

What do you guys think about using plasti-dip on the black plastic area that surrounds the car? I have a Platinum Silver 2010 and the bottom seems more like a dark grey than black but I would like it to be black. I was thinking maybe I could cover it with either flat or gloss black.

I'm but a measly 2010 Limited owner but I have blacked out a lot of stuff on my car using plasti dip. If you want to do the chrome trim around the windows here's what you do. Cover your window with something, newspaper what ever works best. This is going to sound crazy but I promise it works and I've done this quite a few times on my car with ZERO negative effects. Just spray the plasti dip all over the chrome trim. Obviously you'll have a lot of overspray on your door but the amazing thing about plasti dip is that it's easily removed with goo gone. Once the plasti dip has dried just spray some goo gone on a rag and carefully wipe the overspray off. I'll post up some pics of my limited if you guys are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to do any prep except clean the area beforehand with simple green or a like product. One problem I had with Plastidip was that it seemed to attract and hold dust, which was fine for my winter rims I guess. Any of you guys have the same issue with the chrome you have blacked out?

If I had an SHO I would go on a Plastidip frenzy. Problem with my MKS, is that there is just too much of it (I don't have the ecoboost appearance package - which eliminates a little chrome).

Archived