Ecoboost Owner Forums

Dynomax UltraFlo axleback installed...

Installed the Dynomax UltraFlo axleback on the SHO yesterday. I had some fitment issues where the tips were barely touching the inner valence (followed installation directions to a T). I couldn't bend the hangars enough to center it so I called Dynomax. They stated the kit was made for the 2010 only, thus the fitment problems. Total BS, IMO, and I let them know that. Anyhow, had to swing by the local muffler shop where they had to cut additional pipe from the stock exhaust, cut pipe from the Dynomax kit, cut the dynomax hangars, and weld on new hangars.

My only gripe has to do with the tips. The transition from 2.5" to 4" can be seen from the side of the car, bottom side of the tip. This really annoys me to no end. I think the tip should have a straight appearance coming out of the muffler, through lower valence. The Dynomax tip is just too short, IMO. Moving it back any more to cover that lower angle in the tip and it wont be sticking out far enough.

What do you guys think? Am I being nitpicky regarding the tips shape?

IMG_0556.jpg

Here's a video of the exhaust. Overall, I'm ok (I guess) with the sound. I've got a Magnaflow X-Pipe on order and hope to have that installed in the next couple of weeks. Maybe it will change the tone a little.

:)

I agree with you on the appearance of the tips. Especially given the amount of coin you probably flipped for this set up.

IMHO, it's all in the details baby. Good thing, you can probably shop around for various tips that are more to your liking & make another trip back to your local exhaust joint to have them torch off those and re-weld the new ones you pick out.

Just a thought.

As far as the sound. Eh..... not bad. I am surprised given that the 3rd "suitcase" is still in place (as your 'X' pipe hasn't come in yet) it has the rumble that it does.

For me, this is my 1st personally owned turbo'd platform. I'm old school my friend. I'm from the "older" (notice I didn't say old) days where big honk'n V8's ruled the streets, double barrel Holley carbs (re-jetted often times) and cherry bombs in the exhaust were the norm (amongst LT headers, cams, etc) so it has taken quite a bit of adjustment for me to live with the exhaust note coming from my SHO.

I like where it's at now personally and I am looking forward to one addtional exhaust that mod that I am still keeping my fingers crossed will get completed at some point this year.

Thanks for your posting and sharing with the community.

Mike :wave:

Nothing beats the throaty pur of a V8. I had a Borla Stinger catback on my SRT8 Jeep and that thing screamed. I have to admit, when I first fired up the car and heard the UltraFlo rumble, my initial thoughts were damn that sounds ricey. I'm hoping the removal of teh 3rd cat & muffler will give it a more "exotic" tone. We'll see, I guess.

As for the Dynomax tips, I'm still on the fence regarding the shape. If they were just an inch longer, I could push them back where you dont see the angle at the bottom where they transition to the 4" diameter section. I'm sure I can find a replacement tip for a decent price...

I ordered my 2.25" Magnaflow X-pipe from Amazon. Free shipping if you're a Prime member. I buy a ton of stuff from them every month, so it comes in handy. :D

It's just the X part, not a full bolt on midpipe. There is a vendor who makes a full bolt on midpipe for the new SHO (can't remember name off hand). I plan on going to my local muffler shop and having them weld in the the X-section in place of the 3rd cat/muffler.

I ordered my 2.25" Magnaflow X-pipe from Amazon. Free shipping if you're a Prime member. I buy a ton of stuff from them every month, so it comes in handy. :D

It's just the X part, not a full bolt on midpipe. There is a vendor who makes a full bolt on midpipe for the new SHO (can't remember name off hand). I plan on going to my local muffler shop and having them weld in the the X-section in place of the 3rd cat/muffler.

Aha, I see! Very innovative. I found it. Its not a bad idea for $65. I figure with the welding you are looking at less than $300.

The advantage to using NESHO's Mid-pipe x-pipe replacement is that by adding flanges to the rear of both the section going in, and the stock piece coming out, that you can go back to the stock 3rd cat for trips to the dealer.

Cost works out to a bit more, but not a great deal more.

And... there is no concrete evidence that exhaust mods are worth the cost in terms of performance... But the "Noise Fluff" issue is kick... ass! Based on logging, Torrie thought he saw an improvement in boost when the 3rd cat and mid-muffler were removed and replaced with the x-pipe, but we didn't do a before an after on the same day with same environmental conditions.

Aha' date=' I see! Very innovative. I found it. Its not a bad idea for $65. I figure with the welding you are looking at less than $300.[/quote']

I'm thinking less than $300, easily, after all is said & done. I will definitely let you guys know what it cost me just to give you all a general idea.

Archived