Ecoboost Owner Forums

Best oil/filter

Hey guys getting ready to do my 36k mi tune up with new denso plugs and was wondering what everyone was running for oil and filter. I use mobile 1 filters and royal purple in my cobra but I have no idea what guys are running in the SHO. Stock oil weight, brand, full synthetic? Post your thoughts.....

This is the mentality I've had for all the vehicles I've owned the last 12 years: whatever synthetic is on sale with a Mobil 1, KN, or Purolator Pure 1 filter. At my first oil change at 1k I used 5w30 Valvoline Synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter on the SHO. Next oil change at 5k I'll nab whatever's on sale and use that. Then it will be a change every 5k.

I do all my own changes so it saves a penny or two....

I just started using Royal Purple 5W-20 and the Royal Purple filter, and so far I am pleased with both. However, in our Explorer and my Lincoln Mark LT I always used Mobil One 5W-20 (again the Ford recommended weight) and Mobil One filters. I never encountered any oil related problems.

Word is that all EB engines are built on same line.. so Ford did it for consistency.... 5W-20 was installed in 2010 to get best mileage #s possible. Pickup engines which are the bulk of the EB built use 5W-30 as their valve train is variable plus the bigger turbos (which is one of the reasons for the higher torque numbers).

Archived