Ecoboost Owner Forums

Thinking of Buying a 2013 SHO

Hey everyone, I've been toying around with the thought of trading my 08 Mustang GT in on a 2013 SHO but have some questions and am looking for some insight.

My first question is what are, if any, some of the main re-occurring or common problems that people have had with the Gen 4 SHO? So far from reading on the forum I haven't seen many serious issues but I didn't go too far back either.

My next question is can you tell a big difference in the transmission gearing between the 2013 PP vs non PP gearing? Are there any acceleration time comparisons?

I love modifying the Mustang and was very excited to see lowering springs and tunes available. Are there many cars out there with higher mileage with tunes? I'm curious to hear how it holds up to being tuned long term.

For those with lowering springs, how is the ride quality? I'd be using this as a daily driver and don't want to harshen things up too much. Are the shocks on the PP package better equipped to handle the lowering springs?

Thanks for everyone's help and I look forward to talking more with everyone.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just traded in my 07 GT with a Whipple blower on a 2013 SHO with PP. I can't comment on your specific questions, only that I am very happy with the SHO. You will find it much quieter with a much better ride but I think the handling of the SHO is better. No more worrying about breaking the tires loose as the AWD in the SHO is perfect as compared to trying to drive the Mustang.

First Bigjht, welcome aboard :welcome:

Second, you bring up quite a few points, but I would think that it would be unfair to compare a '13, to say any of us who are 2010-2012 owners.

However, there may be some similiarities at the same time.

I'm sure others will chime in here as the day progresses, however I would report that my 2010 has been relatively trouble free.

Most Gen4 SHO's have had cosmetic issues with the peeling chrome tail lights. I think a few others may have had the rattle in the rear sun shade. Both of which were fixed under TSB's / warranty.

Mechanically, the only things that I can think of that have come up as "issues" were some faulty spark plugs where the ceramic broke off or something, as well as an occassional leaking turbo, most of which were the front one's from what I recall. Again, both of these have been fixed either under TSB / warranty.

So considering that from 2010 to current, there haven't really been any "serious" issues per se, and I would say that most here would agree, the platform, in an overall broad sense, has been relatively trouble free all things considered.

As far as your gearing question goes, I believe the non-PP final drive ratio is 2.77 and those SHO's with the PP, their's is 3.16.

I'm not aware of any actual acceleration comparisons, but would be inclined to believe it's probably good for a few tenths in the 1/4. The other factory differences 'tween non-PP, and PP (again, these are for the 2010-2012's) are the upgraded brake pads, slightly better suspension, and summer only shoes.

The 2013's have nearly a complete brake re-design, but the motor and everything else has remain unchanged from what I understand. Also, the 2013's have new, all LED tails and it has yet to be seen if there's been any of the dubious peeling chrome us pre-'13 owners experienced. Different instrument panel, and center console radio set up's are also different. As are the side vent badging, and the front upper lower grilles are now matching.

As far as mileage, tunes, and lowering springs go......

I'm currently at almost 33K on my clock. I've had my '10 tuned since about 1K and have had ZERO issues to report (way to go LMS).

I've had my car lowered on H&R's since about 3K, and again, ZERO issues to report.

Again, I'm sure others will chime in here, mainly to reassure you that their experiences with their SHO's have been nothing but short of OUTSTANDING!

I can sit here and blow smoke up your @ss and go on and on about how much I've enjoyed my car too, and honestly, I have.

For me, this 2010 SHO is my 1st personally owned Ford product ever, and I am elated with the purchase. Ford did a phenom job with this car. The price point in relation to the overall tech stuff, combined with performance etc. is unmatched IMHO.

The two gripes I do have about my car are the brakes, and the overall sheer mass of this behemoth. But, it is classed as a large sized sedan.

Brakes have been addressed in the '13 rollout, so you shouldn't really have any foreseen shortcomings if you do choose to pull the trigger on one.

These cars are very responsive to modding. I think the tunes alone are the best bang for the buck. Other (bigger) projects are currently in the works by some of our supporting vendors, as well as individual owners.

I hope this answers some, if not all of your questions. Anymore? Well, feel free to post up.

Once again, welcome aboard our EcoBoost home, hope you enjoy your stay, and hoping even more that you report back you decided to purchase a '13 SHO.

You won't regret it :thumb:

What he said ^ lol. My 2010 SHO has been the best car I have ever owned. Hands down. The lowering springs harsher the bumps a little bit but not the overall ride quality and the tune from livernois makes it a beast on the street! I have a non pp SHO and it's not that big a deal. I still run great quarter mile times and get awesome gas mileage. I love the technology and the comfort but most of all I love surprising unsuspecting would be challengers on the road. It's really a great car. I had my front turbo replaced and the peeling tail light issue. All covered by ford no questions asked. Welcome to ecoboost!

In 2010-12 PP gives you the 3.16 FDR, recalibrated steering, performance brake pads, "tuned" suspension, real A.Track off, & 20x8.5 wheels. I have no clue exactly what is changed with the electric power steering & suspension. Stock, the PP SHO is a couple of tenths faster in the 1/4 and traps a little higher according to Road & Track. Of course, we all know you're going to mod it so that info is probably negligible.

I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference, honestly, unless you seriously track the car. Get the best deal you can and run with it.

Hope you join the EB family soon!

Here's the Road & Track comment I referenced for a 2010 PP SHO:

" Although well dressed in base trim, the real action is in the shouldn't-be-optional Performance Package that delivers a numerically higher final-drive gear — a strong tonic for this mature performance car's corpus. This shorter gearing surprisingly didn't improve the SHO's 0–60 time (due to an additional shift), but its advantages were palpable in the quarter mile with 3/10ths of a second shaved and a 2.2-mph faster trap speed. Sportier summer tires on 20-in. wheels and improved front brake pads are two more commendable Performance Package improvements, as are a more precise calibration of the electric power steering and the ability to turn the traction/stability control completely off. The amalgamation of these upgrades resulted in an additional 0.06g around the skidpad, an extra 2.1 mph in the slalom and reduced braking distances from 60 and 80 mph by 8 and 15 ft., respectively. These tools put the needed final edge on the SHO's performance, and with no apparent downside. "

Link to article:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/2010-ford-taurus-sho-vs.-2010-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-mr-touring

They ran a 13.6 @ 103.2mph 1/4 mile with it. Not bad for a 4k lb car.

I've nicknamed mine "The Mother Ship". :D

I must add the reason a lot of use didn't get the Performance Package was that it required you to delete the Adaptive Cruise Control, and I believe there was another option that you could not get if you got the PP but I can't remember if that is accurate. I know that I really like the ACC but if I were to get another car, I believe I would want the PP, unless you had to sacrifice too many creature comforts. I believe that Ford has addressed this and I'm not sure if you have to give up the ACC to get the PP in the 2013's. Also, several people have commented on the brakes, but I really don't find them to be bad at all, but then I'm coming out of driving pick-ups for the last 12 years, so both the brakes and the mass of the SHO seem a lot less then what I had been driving. Also, I think it is a lot better handling and feels a lot more capable the some of the Crown Vic's that this car replaced.

Thanks for the info everyone. So far I really like what I've read. I guess my main concern at this point is the ride quality with the lowering springs. I read a couple of posts that stated some had some clearance issues with the H&R Springs but I really like the way they make the car look. For those that have them do they improve the handling of the car or just mainly seem to offer a lower ride height? I worry that the H&R springs would be fairly harsh, atleast from my experience with them on past Mustangs, but that is the only experience I had with them and realize this is a completely different kind of car. I am also waiting for some of my local dealers to get one in stock so I can test drive one. I think my biggest hurdle is me deciding to be practical or not and getting use to the thought of not having a Mustang. It's been a very difficult decision for me.

Ditto all of that for me and add that I don't think there is a better all in one compromise car available. Comfort, luxury, safety, economy, winter traction, high tech toy, and of course huge performance. Stunning blend of daily driver and fun driver. I've got 34 K on the clock and I think it's the best all around car I've ever had!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess my main concern at this point is the ride quality with the lowering springs.

I read a couple of posts that stated some had some clearance issues with the H&R Springs but I really like the way they make the car look.

For those that have them do they improve the handling of the car or just mainly seem to offer a lower ride height?

I worry that the H&R springs would be fairly harsh, atleast from my experience with them on past Mustangs, but that is the only experience I had with them and realize this is a completely different kind of car.

I can assure you that after having logged in 30K with my H&R's installed...... I've had no clearance issues.

The ride quality has actually been IMPROVED in my opinion, and I think collectively everyone else that has had them will also attest to the same thing.

I too read where one, possibly two owners didn't like the H&R's. One had clearance issues, the other I believe just didn't like the overall drop they offered. You know, I almost wonder now looking back, if that one owner with clearance issues might've had the 19" wheels?? :noidea:

I know Eibach makes a set up and I thought I saw an ad in the for sale section for a brand new, unopened set from a fellow newer member who, like you, just signed up recently.

But me personally, I love the H&R's as much as I do my SHO.

I have one clarification, I was referring to road clearances such as steeper driveways or speed bumps, is that what everyone else was referring to when stating you had no issues or were you referring to fender clearances? Also, how have you stock shocks held up with the springs? Based on my Mustang experience the stock shocks and struts tend to wear out very quickly with lowering springs so I'm curious how the Taurus' hold up. Thanks again for everyone's insights and experiences. I checked with a local dealership today to see if they had one to test drive but they didn't. They did state they see some around but didn't offer up exactly where and I was in a hurry after picking up my truck from the shop. I'm going to try and call around to try to find one to drive this weekend.

I have one clarification' date=' I was referring to road clearances such as steeper driveways or speed bumps, is that what everyone else was referring to when stating you had no issues or were you referring to fender clearances? Also, how have you stock shocks held up with the springs? Based on my Mustang experience the stock shocks and struts tend to wear out very quickly with lowering springs so I'm curious how the Taurus' hold up. Thanks again for everyone's insights and experiences. I checked with a local dealership today to see if they had one to test drive but they didn't. They did state they see some around but didn't offer up exactly where and I was in a hurry after picking up my truck from the shop. I'm going to try and call around to try to find one to drive this weekend.[/quote']

I have Eibach's on my SHO. It's not as low as the HR's, but it did drop the front and rear. I only have issues entering/leaving steep driveways/entrances. The front chin spoiler rubs a little. Other than that, no speedbump problems, etc. As for ride quality, it never bottoms out or anything of that nature, no increased ride "harshness". I've only got 4k miles on my SHO so I cant give you any info on wear. Some of the other members probably can, I bet.

I put H&Rs on my car about a month ago and I am in awe of the car with it's looks and it feels to me like it handles better with a little less body roll, overall ride feels about 10-15% stiffer than the performance package ride. I've also had nearly no scraping on the underside.

I don't like that the car governs out at 215km/hr, I don't like the deaf chick that is ford sync; she has problems understanding too. Microsoft could take a lesson from Apple's Siri when it comes to language interfacing. Other than that I love this car. It's the best vehicle I've owned to date.

I put H&Rs on my car about a month ago and I am in awe of the car with it's looks and it feels to me like it handles better with a little less body roll, overall ride feels about 10-15% stiffer than the performance package ride. I've also had nearly no scraping on the underside.

That sounds exactly like what I would be looking for, little firmer but still smooth.

I hate the stereo. When you have a song with a little bass the speakers in the back rattle. And that's not blasting it. That's being conservative. I also hate how you can't input address directions into the nav while you are moving but there is a mod that you can buy to change that. Other than that, the car is an absolute wonder. Love it!

Hi All -

Ditto the comments above. I've had my SHO since Feb 2010 and I now have 52,000 miles on it. No major issues. Just replaced the tires. I've religiously kept up the maintenance. Quality of the interior and exterior trim remains like new. No issues or repairs other than the chipping chrome on rear tail lights. On that issue, dealer replaced under warranty. I still get the looks on the road. Great car for long road trips. Just got back from my third two-week road trip and it's the best!

Paul

Archived