Ecoboost Owner Forums

mystery icon instrument cluster system warning

So far I'm stumped and my service department has never heard of this but on a short trip today, I noticed that my info cluster (odo, mpg, etc) was displaying a previously never seen icon. My normal display was preempted. It was like the ouline of the car on a steep slope pointing downhill. My guess was emergency brake. I tried to pull up the emergency brake pedal (which I never use) with my toe with no effect. I could not stop at that moment to restart the car, but in a few miles when I could, I restarted and all was back to normal. I looked in my owners manual, and they describe a "park brake engaged" warning, but they don't describe what it looks like. I called my service manager and he said he never saw my icon himself and had no idea. So I don't know if my mystery icon was that warning, but if it was, and the icon stays displayed at speed, as mine did, I'm supposed to notify my dealer ASAP. I've got about 34,000 on the clock so I don't want to neglect this if it's a problem. Any one else out there had any experience with this display??

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you place your car from 'D' into 'M' it will illuminate.

It will stay illuminated as long as once after having placed your car into 'M' you do NOT tap the paddle shifters (on the steering wheel).

Perfectly normal.

I'll be leaving for work in a couple of hours and try to recreate it so the icon appears, snap a pic of it, and repost to confirm we're referring to the same thing.

It essentially is taking the 'overdrive' out of the equation and is used for when navigating steep inclines or declines, similar to a vehicle with a tow type of package is the best way for me to explain it.

Check back later for an image.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

So I precipitated this by unknowingly being in M instead of Drive. I'll go experiment. I did feel it was shifting differently in a subtle way. I've got to figure this out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YOU DA MAN!! You hit it right on the head!! It's so cool after so many miles to discover a new functionality. When I looked in the transmission area of the owners manual I at least found a reference to this function called "Grade assist" on the 5 speed. They neglected to describe it for the 6 speed. Your detailed knowledge on this car is amazing. Thank you for solving my mystery. Now I'll share with the service manager.

YOU DA MAN!! You hit it right on the head!!

It's so cool after so many miles to discover a new functionality.

Your detailed knowledge on this car is amazing. Thank you for solving my mystery. Now I'll share with the service manager.

No problem, glad to be of help......

Crappy cell phone pics, but just to confirm, this is the image that you were referring to correct?

2012-05-11_17-20-04_344.jpg

2012-05-11_17-20-35_663.jpg

That's it.

I have fooled a bit with the paddles but beyond novelty I didn't take to them. Never realized that M without touching the paddles made for a whole new shifting strategy. I wonder how many others besides me did not have a clue.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

NO FLATBED FOR ME....... YET!!!

Tonite, I got a chance to check out my new Michelin Pilot Super Sports from a rolling start, Got about 60' of lite tire marks... with the STOCK TUNE.... Not sure what Ford did... but I gotta get this stock tune to the strip... Feels like a mid 13.... maybe it's the light weight wheels and tires....

I have not recreated the incident but BPD's spot on description and explanation make sense and I think he did recreate it. I accidentally went into M without noticing and then went on to trying to diagnose my new icon during my short haul. The shifting both up and down was crisper, there was no free wheeling and I think torque management was gone or minimal. But....shift it did!

I just recreated this. From a stop I went from D to M and did not touch the paddles. The above icon shows up and the car shifts up and down more firmly than my 4+ and does not free wheel so engine braking is evident. I suspect that the 6th gear is not available but can't say that for sure.

I just recreated this. From a stop I went from D to M and did not touch the paddles. The above icon shows up and the car shifts up and down more firmly than my 4+ and does not free wheel so engine braking is evident. I suspect that the 6th gear is not available but can't say that for sure.

Using "M" and not using the paddles, is the "SPORT" mode, and does indeed shift more firmly as well as at higher RPM. And YES it eventually goes in 6th. In my 2010 Flex, it is also used as a trailer towing mode, do to the shifting parameters. It will shift DOWN but not up if you touch a paddle, even accidentally.

As for real world performance, I have tried just about everything at the strip, except manually using the paddles. T/C on or off, M or D, and all combinations, and my results are not much different, though some things work better with certain track conditions.

See this is what is confusing me. I have a sport mode under the traction control since i have the PP on my 2011 SHO. But when I place the car in M instead of D it will not shift and the computer will just let it bounce off the redline. I have never seen this icon on my car. It very well could be a setting that the PP has. Those of you that the car shifts automatically without the paddles in M, do you guys have the PP?

I have a 10 non PP. I'm also running 4+. Mike sounds like his is just like mine on this issue. He was aware of this and explained it all to me. My manual doesn't really cover this ....actually almost not at all. Interesting discovery ! I wonder if there might be an advantage for those cars so set up to use the M auto shifting mode at the strip because the shifts feel more aggressive. Some comparison runs would be very interesting.

Im thinking that it has something to do with having or not having the PP. I seem to remember something about the PP that the computer is changed a little bit to allow it to bounce off the redline instead of the car taking over and shifting.

I think you are probably right on the PP. I wonder if a stock tune would do the same. I will add that if I touch a paddle after engaging M I can bounce off the redline too. The thing new to me is that strange new mode with M and no paddles.

*Stretch..... *Yawn.....

Damn kids woke me up, shift was busy as all hell at work last night....

Anyhow, my '10 DOES NOT have PP.

I can recreate this "magic" icon each and EVERY time.

Just a quick reply for the 30secs I glanced over this thread since posting last.

Maybe i'll have to do a short video clip or something as proof there of.... :noidea:

My '10 has done this ever since I owned it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

This is great. I'm loving my new "sport" mode.

I don't know if any one else had the feeling like from a rolling start I could not really predict whether at a given speed I could count on a downshift or not. If I got the downshift the car was great. If not it was definitely less spectacular. With the use of my new M mode, I'm getting very reliably spectacular downshifts which of course let my 4+ do it's thing. No kidding it feels great. All this fun and it didn't even cost anything. Thank you BPD for the assist.

Archived