Ecoboost Owner Forums

mystery icon instrument cluster system warning

I got the PP and I dont have it. It's good to see fellow PP person that cant replicate this. It's easing my over anxious mind.

It really is looking like this "sport" mode is for non-pp cars. If we could get more PP owners to chime in we can confirm it.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is "sport" mode on the PP cars..if you press and release the traction control button twice. If you press and hold the traction control while the car is not moving it will turn the TC completely off. You can only do that on the PP cars. In "M" mode on the PP cars anyway, the car won't shift unless you use the paddles...that part can get a little scary with the rev limiter removed on a tuned car

There is "sport" mode on the PP cars..if you press and release the traction control button twice. If you press and hold the traction control while the car is not moving it will turn the TC completely off. You can only do that on the PP cars. In "M" mode on the PP cars anyway' date=' the car won't shift unless you use the paddles...that part can get a little scary with the rev limiter removed on a tuned car[/quote']

Yea I knew about that mode. I was talking about this "sport" M mode for the tranny for apparently non PP cars. Yea I don't use my flappy paddles due to the rev limiter being removed.

Side-note:

Also I've noticed that if you are above 35 mph you can't put it in sport mode on the PP. Under 35 while in motion the car will go into sport.

OK, so I just checked my car and it does not show this icon. I put the car in M from D and I get nothing no icon, only a 1 shown under the M, not icon in any of the other gauges. I will research it further but it appears that my car does not have this feature.:RpS_confused:

BTW my car does not have the PP.

Just went through the owner's manual and according to it, it is with the 5-speed transmission with the OD on/off switch. Went to the car and tried it again...no icon. Do you have to switch from D to M while moving? 'Cause I just attempted it in the driveway without really moving the car..don't know if that makes any difference or not. But it appears that my car does not have the "Grade Assist".

You do not have to be moving. You can pull up to a light, pull the lever back into M and there is the icon. Do not touch the paddles and it will shift on it's own. There is also no doubt that with the icon, there is a whole different shift strategy.

There must be some that do this and some that do not. Seems like a good bet that PP cars are in the not group. It's interesting to find out if maybe there is a year factor. Mine is a 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me add a couple of variables that may possibly shed some light. My car is in the batch that had the pull strap trunk lid (job 2?). I have also had the tranny mod called for in the TSB and a valve body was replaced. I had complained of inconsistent downshifts. I'm not sure if I got an updated strategy or not. That's all I can think of. Be kind of neat of we can figure out who has what and why!

Ahhh, that might be the secret. My car did not need the tranny TSB and mine was a Job 1 car. It was built on 11/30/2009, while Mike's was built on 12/10/2009...I think this is about the time the change from Job 1 to Job 2 occurred. So I'm thinking the Job 1 cars do not have this icon or the grade assist.:tsk:

If its date and not TSB related you are right....we won't get any closer than that. So Mike has said that his has had this since day one, that means it's not a TSB thing. It has to be date!!

I'm just relieved to know that I hadn't missed it. I kinda pride myself on knowing how most things work on any vehicle I own, and I was shocked to think that I had missed the icon! Wish I could do "sport" mode but doesn't apply that my car has it.

Hey Im glad you're relieved but no relief here for me. I admit I'm a tad embarassed. I put 18 K miles on my beast without discovering this feature and when I did accidently stub my toe on it, I still did not know what I had found. Good thing Mike knew all about it.

Now I need to try this...whole different set of variables since I have a 2010 MKS (6 speed, no PP option on the MKS). HMMMMMM. I know I have never seen the icon and have only toyed with the paddle shifters, but I seem to recall tach going to redline.... will need to re-check.

Now I need to try this...whole different set of variables since I have a 2010 MKS (6 speed' date=' no PP option on the MKS). HMMMMMM. I know I have never seen the icon and have only toyed with the paddle shifters, but I seem to recall tach going to redline.... will need to re-check.[/quote']

Do you know your build date? If it was built after 12/09 you will probably have it.

Easiest thing to do is to start the car and put the lever into M. In the area that displays ODO & MPG if you see nothing else but an icon of a vehicle going steeply down hill, you have it and if you do not touch the paddles the car will shift more aggressively than normal. If you touch a paddle the icon disappears and is replaced by ODO etc. along with the gear number under the M and you will be able to redline to your hearts content. If you do not see that icon and instead see the 1 under the M you do not have this capability.

Just when I thought we had this all figured out!

Oh well good news is if mine showed up right after my 4+ install maybe I don't have to feel like a doofus for not noticing it for all these miles. That does not explain BPD who had it from day one.

Wonder if Rick has any thought on the subject?

I have an early production 2010' date=' for me this showed up at 50,000 miles when I started using LMS stage 4+, I suspect most of us have Livernois to thank for this new feature.[/quote']

Nope, I have the 4+ installed and have had it installed for quite some time...still no icon. Did you have the tranny TSB performed on your car?

Mjhpadi

I wonder of there could be different variations of 4+. Maybe Rick could update your 4+ file if that were so. At any rate I wonder if Rick has stumbled across this thread. Sure be interesting to see what he thought of our puzzle.

Archived