Ecoboost Owner Forums

mystery icon instrument cluster system warning

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe it's a 2011 or a PP thing but I do NOT have the grade assist icon...it doesn't light up when in M.

I can confirm at least on my car, when placed in M the car will not shift on its own. The needle just bounces off the redline.

Am I not understanding the info in this thread?

I have not recreated the incident but BPD's spot on description and explanation make sense and I think he did recreate it. I accidentally went into M without noticing and then went on to trying to diagnose my new icon during my short haul. The shifting both up and down was crisper, there was no free wheeling and I think torque management was gone or minimal. But....shift it did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ICON show up last weekend as I was backing (down hill) out the driveway as I went into drive going down the street but went out before leaving the subdivsion. That was sat. the same thing happen on sunday. but not again all week. I was thinking it was some kind hill brake assist. I will go out try it in M( Yes I've LMS4+,w-PP,& late yr S/N 2011) will report back.

Seems to be really hard to figure out but I have yet to hear for sure of a PP getting the Icon in M. So maybe we can probably rule out PP's. The only one who had it pre 4+ is BPD. Job 1 cars seem to be excluded also. A pattern of Job 2 running 4+ seem to be the main group who have accessed this. I know Rick believes the icon is a normal but it was not in the used '10 non PP with a build date of Feb 2010 I checked out at my dealer and I never noticed it in mine pre 4+ either. A lot of guys have claimed it showed up after 4+ and disappeared with the install of stage 2 or 3.

I think it looks to me like you need to have a job 2 non PP running 4+ to have this "grade assist" in M......except for BPD! His is the monkey wrench in this theory and I don't have clue unless there is some random value on the part of Ford or in 4+.

Maybe it's a 2011 or a PP thing but I do NOT have the grade assist icon...it doesn't light up when in M.

I can confirm at least on my car, when placed in M the car will not shift on its own. The needle just bounces off the redline.

I have not recreated the incident but BPD's spot on description and explanation make sense and I think he did recreate it. I accidentally went into M without noticing and then went on to trying to diagnose my new icon during my short haul. The shifting both up and down was crisper, there was no free wheeling and I think torque management was gone or minimal. But....shift it did!

This is great. I'm loving my new "sport" mode.

I don't know if any one else had the feeling like from a rolling start I could not really predict whether at a given speed I could count on a downshift or not. If I got the downshift the car was great. If not it was definitely less spectacular. With the use of my new M mode, I'm getting very reliably spectacular downshifts which of course let my 4+ do it's thing. No kidding it feels great. All this fun and it didn't even cost anything. Thank you BPD for the assist.

If you look at page 253 of the OWNER GUIDE the ICON is called "D (Drive) with Grade Assist" It say pressing the transmission control switch on the side of the gearshift lever. but a manual shift lever don't have this button. Can anybody lend light to this news?

Don't have it on mine. I have a 2011 with PP. It stays in the same gear (in M) until I shift with the paddles. Anyone out there with PP and have this icon?

I got the PP and I dont have it. It's good to see fellow PP person that cant replicate this. It's easing my over anxious mind.

It really is looking like this "sport" mode is for non-pp cars. If we could get more PP owners to chime in we can confirm it.

I had the ICON show up last weekend I've the PP on a 2011 built date 12-4-10.I have 25k on the car now but I've been stage4+ sense 21k 3 month. The ICON just show up a week a go.

Easiest thing to do is to start the car and put the lever into M. In the area that displays ODO & MPG if you see nothing else but an icon of a vehicle going steeply down hill, you have it and if you do not touch the paddles the car will shift more aggressively than normal. If you touch a paddle the icon disappears and is replaced by ODO etc. along with the gear number under the M and you will be able to redline to your hearts content. If you do not see that icon and instead see the 1 under the M you do not have this capability.

If you push the reset with grade ICON on your milage will come back on and the grade icon will stay on.

Is that something that Livernois deleted' date=' or are all EB Fords programmed that way in Manual Mode from the factory?[/quote']

Last year Before installing the tune I was at the drag strip and try manual shifting but the car stock was so quiet I couldn't hear the RPM to shift and the rev-limiter did kick in even in manual and I have PP on my car.

So now we have PP's that do and PP's that don't. We have non PP's that do and don't.

My guess is...... it's concentrated and dormant in "job 2" vehicles and triggered by 4+ (and / or another venders tune)

I'm cringing & waiting for the examples that disprove this conjecture.

Mine has the yellow pull strap to pop the trunk open in case you're locked inside, if that's the pull strap you're referring to.

So yours is the " Job 1" without the pull strap in the trunk?

Mine is GREEN! (with envy....)

Is mine the only one that changes from Down Hill to UP Hill when I FLOOR it at the Strip????:becky::becky:

Take that... "A little Torrie:clap2: Tune Magic"!!!!!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Mine changes colors.....

Pink when i'm driving the car like a Sally

Bright Red when i'm in daring and devilish mode.

Hahaha :D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I was wondering about that... if rev limiter is gone... ZOOM:llama::llama::flypig::flypig::flypig:.... "BOOM":flame::target::target: ....

If the car with the line is facing upwards... then you really have a problem.... It only happens when loading on to a flatbed!!!!!!

BOB IS NUTS!!!!! A GOOD KIND OF NUTS and he's our NUT, but HE IS REALLY NUTS. We love him anyway.:crazy::whoo::bump2:

So your's is the " Job 1" without the pull strap in the trunk?

I have the strap in the trunk.

Mine has the yellow pull strap to pop the trunk open in case you're locked inside' date=' if that's the pull strap you're referring to.[/b']

I think the "Job 2" is a suitcase strap handle on the inside of trunk lid.

To help clear up confusion on the primary, visual difference between Job's 1 & 2, "Job 2's" have this leather pull down strap located inside the trunk lid on the psgr side:

2012-04-11_14-26-36_373.jpg

The yellow pull down handle is simply an escape latch mandated by the Fed's that ALL are cars are required to have installed.

Mine has the yellow pull strap to pop the trunk open in case you're locked inside' date=' if that's the pull strap you're referring to.[/quote']

No the job 2 cars have an actual pull down strap in the trunk. It is a heavy duty strap to grab to use to close the trunk. All of the cars have the emergency release...maybe someone could post a picture of the pull down strap, since I don't have it or the grade assist!!!:mad2:

Edit: Then again, maybe I should read the whole thread before doing a response...sorry, Michael!:doh:

Archived