Ecoboost Owner Forums

mystery icon instrument cluster system warning

Hmm, I wonder what is causing some of us to have the grade assist and some of us to not have it. Could it be that there are 2 different six speed auto transmissions that were used in our cars? One of them being capable of having the grade assist and one not?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two questions for markssho

First you did not say what tune if any you are running. I'm running 4+.

Second...Did you have the tranny TSB performed with the valve body replacement? I did.

I have the grade assist icon, and you don't. Since our cars are so close if we can find a difference, we may learn something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh' date=' I did not have the valve body TSB done...this could be a clue? [/b']

I did not have the "Valve Body TSB" performed either.....

However, I did have the TCM Reflash/Update TSB.

There's more monkey wrench's tossed into this thread than I care to count.....

However, I am almost inclined to PM our wonderful ADMIN and inquire about the possibility of designing/creating a Smilie/Emoticon that would depict something to that effect (a Monkey Tossing Wrenches that is).

Ha! :RpS_lol:

Sorry...I have no tunes installed. I've never seen this icon and the manual setting has never changed on its own.

However, a month or two ago I did have the TSB performed for the valve body replacement 11-08-21. A few months after I bought it, had 10-21-2, 10-20-8 performed.

No grade assist icon, manual mode will not up shift but does down shift on its own, no tune, TSB's listed above.

Thanks markssho for the reply. Some of us both with and without the mysterious icon have been trying to figure what is going on. I have a hunch that if you ever install the LMS stage 4+ tune you will discover that the "grade assist" icon has shown up. Of course if you do install, you will also be very pleased with the many other changes you will discover.

Thanks markssho for the reply. Some of us both with and without the mysterious icon have been trying to figure what is going on. I have a hunch that if you ever install the LMS stage 4+ tune you will discover that the "grade assist" icon has shown up. Of course if you do install, you will also be very pleased with the many other changes you will discover.

I installed Stage 4+ for the first time last weekend...no grade icon.

mjhpadi....

Don't know how we can check on trannys but......

So far I have made a half-hearted effort to keep track as best I could of the info posted in this thread. As BPD1151 has noted many monkey wrenches have been tossed into early theories. Of 16 responses 6 have claimed to have the grade assist icon. All have had 4+ and 4 of the 6 were '10's and 2 of the 6 were job 2 and a couple were unknown. Crystal ball gets real cloudy after that. Some who have not seen this icon even with 4+ have been Job 1, or '11/'12. One has the icon, but had it before 4+. I may even have gotten some info wrong but I hope most is accurate. Any ideas?? I'm not seeing a clear pattern here. I'm wondering if there is some randomness to the cars that we are not aware of.

So is there only one transmission used in the SHO or are there more then one?

There are two types of transmissions for the late model Taurii. The 6F50 and the 6F55.

The major differences being internals and I think torque ratings.

It is my understanding that all SHO's have the 6F55, while the lower trim levels have the 6F50.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject matter than I, will chime in with more info.

:whistle:

The reason I wondered about different transmissions is that in the thread about the auxiliary cooler for the transmission, someone mentioned two different transmission numbers. I am not sure if that meant that there were different transmissions used in the SHO or if the person was just referencing the fact that the SHO transmission was similar to another Ford transmission.

Finally something new to add. I'm vacationing up in Maine and had to fill up today. For the first time since I bought my car I was not able to get 93 octane. Best I could do is 91. I drove easy as I could and at the first opportunity I went back to good old stage 3. Surprise surprise no more grade assist. I don't know about any other SHO, but for mine....I now believe that here is proof that grade assist is stage 4+ dependent. When I get some 93 back in the tank, and I reinstall 4+, I hope my grade assist comes back.

That's what makes this so hard to figure out. I think it takes 4+ and some other factor. Can't pin down the other factor. Oh well at least for now I feel like I have one piece of the puzzle.

Yeah, it sure is kinda puzzling...I am still thinking that my car beginning an earlier production date, does not have something that was changed after it's production date. Although it was built at about the halfway point of total SHO production for 2010.

I'm now back from my trip to Maine. 759 miles. 27.3 MPG with 4 adults and a trunk full of luggage going out and 28.3 on the return trip. I went out running 4+ with 93 octane and came back with stage 3 and a blend of 91 and 93 octane. As soon as I feel I have purged the 91 I will go back to stage 4+. For the next week I am now running stock for the first time in a while. Stock does not offer the grade assist either. So I now have confirmed that grade assist is not normal for my '10 " Job 2 " non PP.

Archived