Ecoboost Owner Forums

mystery icon instrument cluster system warning

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
Ok, I have shifted into M and never had that icon. :( Car was built 9/09, so again, :(

Thanks guys for bursting my bubble. LOL

Just resurrecting this thread and updating. Update from my June, 2012 post above:

9/09 early build 2010 MKS (obviously no PP package, as none exists for the MKS) : I realized today, after installing my LMS tune about 6 weeks ago, that now i miraculously have the feature and the icon! I accidentally put it in M today in the driveway....did not get a chance to drive with it yet. 100% guaranteed, it was NOT there before I installed LMS tune (4+).

Thanks for posting TSS. Welcome to what looks like a select club! If you are like me, you will get more aggressive shifts and downshifts. You will not have 6th gear and you will not have freewheeling. All in all a very interesting bonus feature. Just feels unsettling to have LMS be in the dark about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I got a chance to drive it, and I really like the way it felt. It was a noticeable difference. So, if I don't have 6th gear, logic tells me I should never have it in that mode on the highway, correct? Only 4 around the town use? or maybe in the mountains?

It is interesting that LMS does not know that much about this. They know more about our programming than anybody else. I have never heard of this feature, ever, before on a MKS...... so the plot thickens......

Glad you think so. I have been fascinated by this from the get go. Some have suspected me of hallucinating and it feels good to have corroboration. I don't think we will be able to figure this out on our own. Rick has mentioned asking the tuner if he has an answer but I haven't seen anything as yet. The more mystery icon sightings, the merrier.

So...... am I correct that I should not use on the highway? And, count me me in the club that wants to get to the bottom of this mystery. I honestly do think it is very interesting. Particularly, in my case, because as far as I know, it was never available on any MKS, ever, yet it miraculously appeared after the tune.

So tell me if my summary is correct.

more aggressive down shifts

more aggressive up shifts

no free wheeling

no 6th gear

no rolling backwards when you're on a hill in you take your foot

off the brake

Did I miss anything?

So...... am I correct that I should not use on the highway? And, count me me in the club that wants to get to the bottom of this mystery. I honestly do think it is very interesting. Particularly, in my case, because as far as I know, it was never available on any MKS, ever, yet it miraculously appeared after the tune.

So tell me if my summary is correct.

more aggressive down shifts

more aggressive up shifts

no free wheeling

no 6th gear

no rolling backwards when you're on a hill in you take your foot

off the brake

Did I miss anything?

Sounds right. If you ever take your car to a SCCA Autocross event use the grade-assist it will be like you are in a manaul race mod. 3sec faster a lap. Have fun.

I think the shift points both up and down are more aggressive. It will not shift up beyond 5th. No freewheeling so you get engine braking when you take your foot off the gas. Don't know anything about rolling back on a hill. Not much needed on an automatic though.

Neat thing is it is a sure fire instant cure for the confused shifting attack. Pull the lever into M at the first sign of a clunk and presto clunking is cured and does not come back when you put it back into D.

As far as highway the main difference is an increase of about 300 rpm. So at 70 mph rpm might go from 1700 to 2000. So I'm a mileage watcher and I wouldn't take a trip in grade assist but for a spirited jaunt I don't think it is a problem at all.

I think grade assist is a common option with the Ford line. I rented a '12 Explorer on a recent trip....a 3.5 power plant and it had a rotary knob on the console that selected the mode. One of the modes was grade assist. I wonder if Ford might be using the same tranny for many vehicles and using software tweaks to turn capabilities on or off.

It's OK' date=' I'm really over it!:RpS_crying: But I sure can't figure out why I can't get the icon, since my build date was 11/09.[/quote']

Here is an interesting experiment for you to try. See if Rick will email you the latest 4+ file and try that. There may be an unknown or accidental variable that has been modified since your file was sent to you. It either makes a difference or it doesn't. Either way we learn a little more.

I do not know how I missed this thread all these months but I will add this, I am at work and cannot prove it right this second but, I am most certain I can only achieve this green car going down a hill icon by shifting into "M" mode while the car is already rolling and not by going into "M" mode from a stop. I know I have seen it before and will try it when I get off tonight but I am 99% certain it works as described for my car.

2011 PP car with the trunk pulldown, stage 4+

Archived