Ecoboost Owner Forums

Idle adjustment possible without a tune?

tss

I want to increase my engine idle speed by 50 RPM on my 2010 MKS Eco. Is it possible to adjust just that parameter? I don't want to risk any warranty issues right now, when warranty is up, I will be banging on Rick's door. But for now, any suggestions?

That is, in part what I was wondering. Is it possible? My dealer likes to say "no" as their standard response until otherwise proven wrong when it comes to thinking outside the box. The idle is just a teeny rough when in drive at a stoplight. All other MKS' I have driven feel the same way, so my dealer is likely to just tell me that it is normal for the model. I am admitting, it is ever so slight. Only I notice, no passengers notice and my wife only noticed when I had her pay close attention to it while stopped at a traffic light. Gassing it up 50 RPM (or maybe even less) smooths it out. I do have the latest ECP/PCM updates.

I guess I am spoiled a little after years and years of smooth V8s.

That roughness is in part due to the direct injection system.

Thanks, seriously! At least now I have a "reason" for it. And now that you said that, I do recall the same thing on loaner cars from Cadillac I have driven (CTS DI engines). Very subtle. At the time , I just chaulked it up to me not being used to a V6. So the SHO and Flex have it too at idle in gear? Now I am wondering if a tune actually helps this or not then. I can totally live with it, on a "bothers me" scale of 1-10, it is a 1. And, I was aware of it before I bought the car.

Do you still have it (in gear idle roughness at stoplights) after your tune on the Flex?

Think it's there' date=' but not as noticeable. I am currently running a stock tune, and definitely feel it when I come to a stop. It usually recovers after a second or 2, but it's much more pronounced than with a tune. You can see it on the Tach.[/quote']

Yep, that's what I am talking about, barely noticeable on my tach, but yes, usually recovers after a few seconds, then might come back briefly if it is a long light - thanks again for your time and confirming it is just the nature of the Eco/DI. Knowing that, it honestly does not bother me as much now. Again, I have just been used to silky smooth V8s for a long time (Northstars; GM 5.3s and GM 6.2s).

Todd

Archived