Ecoboost Owner Forums

Cabin Air Filter

for those who aren't aware our taurus's have cabin air filters its located behind the glove box, you have to push the pins inwards to remove the glove box then there is a piece that pops off the release the tabs, and then remove the cabin filter its easy to do all you need is your hands no tools required this filter is for a/c system.

Hhhmmmmm......

I'm kind of scratching my head at this one. Why?

I thought this was discussed here previously, however it appears I am not able to locate anything through the search function.

Anyhow, I have discussed this very same issue of "cabin air filters" in other forums, before having made EBF my permanent home.

As such, I did go back and dig up my posting on this elsewhere, and to the benefit of all eBF members here it is:

Check inside the glove box.

But...... becareful when pulling down the door, there's a sliding rod type of thing that needs to be carefully dislodged in order to swing the door completely open to access the filter.

If you don't use caution, you will likely damage the o-rings that connect the two rods together.

Check the diagram below as this is what you will see in your Taurus SHO equipped with the filter:

Cabin_filter.jpg

Check with our EBF Supporting Vendor , Mr. Torrie McPhail of Unleashed Tuning for replacement filters at a discounted price.....

Or it can ordered from here------> http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/WIX0/24065.oap?ck=Search_24065_-1_-1&keyword=24065

Or any common, local auto parts retail supply store of your choosing.

Finally, here are images of the connector rod, along with the o-rings that help seal it together:

GloveBoxConnecter1of3.jpg

GloveBoxConnector2of3.jpg

GloveBoxConnector3of3.jpg

This rod alone will set you back about $51.00 USD if you damage it.

Or you can just replace the o-rings themselves for under $2.00 USD.

Either way, a good tip for those doing this the first time...there is a small slot on the left hand side of the glove box where you slide the end/pivot point of the check arm out and unhook it from the box.

Hope this is of some help to those of you considering replacing this filter.

Which from all the posts I've seen across many communities, these get VERY dirty.

I swapped mine out 25K and it was disgusting.

Mike, if anyone damages the O-rings and needs replacement...I can send them to them for a lot less...more like 50 cents apiece. We have a bunch of O-rings at the Scuba Center that are the correct size and work fine. Actually if someone needs the O-rings I can provide them without cost, we have a ton of O-rings that are replaced in normal equipment servicing that work fine and that there is nothing wrong with the rings, just that they must be replaced when servicing life support equipment.

Alrighty, well just been provided some newer/updated info on the pricing of that black plastic control arm.... apparently that part is available at FPN, and at a SIGNIFIGANTLY REDUCED PRICE!

Here's the link----------------> http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2010/FORD/TAURUS/SHO/?siteid=318&vehicleid=1445050&diagram=JN10430&diagramCallOut=8

Looks to be an entire, whopping $13.29USD

Thanks goes out entirely to fellow EBF member drthv8r for having provided this info to the benefit of community members!

Thnx again drthv8r :hail:

Thanks clos6539 for the heads up. I checked mine yesterday and it was very dirty. I shook out the loose stuff, gently vacuumed and reassembled while waiting for my replacement. I don't know how it measures up but my local parts house cost was $25. I had no trouble with the O rings as I left that assembly together and just slid out the pivot from it's slot in the glove box at the attachment point. I did have difficulty releasing the latches on the filter lid in the confined space. I found that any kind of hook tool will work better than my fingers did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But at your age' date=' I'm surprised you remember the name of the vehicle!:RpS_lol:[/quote']

I DO TOO... It's a SHO wagon! Just look at my PIX. I do however forget the name of my Wife and Dog......especially when I have seen a bar I cant remember....

In CL, that's the local Tornado Shelter, the new VFW, which is open to everyone and sells cheap beer + FREE popcorn!

Just an FYI' date=' the MKS airfilter is changed in the same manner, but I don't remember seeing that bar, or needing to do anything special when lowering the door.....[/quote']

its actually in front of it and to the left just a little i didnt notice it at first but then i went back and checked and there it was, and it being black just like almost everything else inside there doesnt help at all..

Thanks clos6539 for the heads up. I checked mine yesterday and it was very dirty. I shook out the loose stuff, gently vacuumed and reassembled while waiting for my replacement. I don't know how it measures up but my local parts house cost was $25. I had no trouble with the O rings as I left that assembly together and just slid out the pivot from it's slot in the glove box at the attachment point. I did have difficulty releasing the latches on the filter lid in the confined space. I found that any kind of hook tool will work better than my fingers did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no problem larrylu i figured since im a meber on here and i work on these cars i might as well be helpful to you guys..

its actually in front of it and to the left just a little i didnt notice it at first but then i went back and checked and there it was' date=' and it being black just like almost everything else inside there doesnt help at all..[/quote']

HMMM...need to look again, I know I did not need to move anything.

HMMM...need to look again' date=' I know I did not need to move anything.[/quote']

I just remebered I took pictures of how to remove the cabin air filter and that little tube came out in the picture I will try to post them up tomorrow

Anyhow, I have discussed this very same issue of "cabin air filters" in other forums, before having made EBF my permanent home.

As such, I did go back and dig up my posting on this elsewhere, and to the benefit of all eBF members here it is:

Hmmm, that diagram and those photos look awfully familiar to me. Wow, those photos are even still on my camera.... Mike, don't take all the credit here!

-Rod

I just remebered I took pictures of how to remove the cabin air filter and that little tube came out in the picture I will try to post them up tomorrow

Please do post a pic! Also, what year is your MKS - just wondering if they made a change in 2011+ or if I am truly going blind. LOL. Mine is a 2010.

Hmmm, that diagram and those photos look awfully familiar to me. Wow, those photos are even still on my camera.... Mike, don't take all the credit here!

-Rod

My sincerest apologies Rod. :sorry:

I'm scratching my head right now because I can't think of any other single instance in where I may have culled info from elsewhere, w/o acknowledging (even if in a general sense) the original poster.

Again, sorry. My fail. :tsk:

I think I had pulled those images from you know where, and placed them here when EBOF was 1st starting up, and our membership was small, having only been like a dozen members or less back in the beginning of Dec 2011.

I think you joined towards the end if I'm not mistaken.

Anyhow, know that the info is/was much appreciated, as were your efforts to provide them.

:faint: *sigh* :faint:

I would think that it should be changed no less then at 20K intervals...mine was fairly dirty at 15K...there was much more dirt in the filter then I would have suspected, since the car is not driven much in bad weather or on roads that are not fairly clean.

Please do post a pic! Also' date=' what year is your MKS - just wondering if they made a change in 2011+ or if I am truly going blind. LOL. Mine is a 2010.[/quote']

okay so i found out that that tube is not part of any filter, i asked the trim,a/c, electrical tech that i work with what the purpose of this tube was for and he told it's acts like a shock sort of so that the glove box falls slowy instead of all fast... i checked the pts website(ford website) for this tube in the a/c system and i couldn't find it anywere which lead me to ask the trim tech... here are some pictures of it...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]594[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]595[/ATTACH]

post-301-142532287028_thumb.jpg

post-301-14253228703_thumb.jpg

post-301-142532287032_thumb.jpg

post-301-142532287028_thumb.jpg

post-301-14253228703_thumb.jpg

post-301-142532287032_thumb.jpg

Had to repace my own. Asked dealerto check it at service. When came to pick up car-they said no filter in the car. Used forum to find/replace and went back to dealer/service to educate them. Reaction, "Oh so there is one". Don't think they sell.work on too many Taurus esp SHOs. Would like to find a dealer that is a little more performance orientated. Funny-they push the Roush 'stangs.

Archived