Ecoboost Owner Forums

SHO lover getting ready to make an Ecoboost the FIFTH one!

jim1274

I am a prior owner of 4 SHO's shopping right now for number 5. Current ride is an '06 TL preceded by a GTO. I just traded the wife's Boxster in 2 days ago to get her a 2012 SRT Challenger, and the TL is not working for me anymore--go figure how THAT works! I can hardly drive the TL now....

I did have some concerns about whether I would be satisfied with the new SHO afteer driving the SRT, but it seems like the SHO will do just fine with a little tuning as needed. Just trying to decide if I want to go for a new '13 SHO or save some bucks and find a nice 2010 or 2011. I'd probably just spring for a 2013 if she, er, we, would have settled for the much cheaper Challenger RT, as that SRT was pretty salty. Pretty hard to buy an RT after driving the SRT. Just told myself the SRT would hold value better for an excuse to go for it. You only live once....

Anyway, seems like a great forum, and for sure I will be active once the mod bug kicks in...as it surely will...

Glad to be aboard, and welcome any comments that might help me in ending up with a SHO that I don't try to talk the wife into swapping for her 392!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:welcome: First glad that you have joined us. I can't blame you for getting the SRT Challenger, however, I don't know if I could let me wife have a great car like that... Next, I gotta admit I really like the SHO and the 13's are very sharp. I don't believe that there is any tuning available for the 13's because I don't think the codes have been broken yet. So if you want to get a tune in the car it will have to be a 10-12. Anyway, with the tune the car performs great, I was amazed how great this car runs with the tune, plus it is a fun car to drive and is very comfortable for longer drives. Lastly, the production numbers on the SHO's are rather low, so you will see a lot less of them then most of the other muscle cars that are out there. Hope this helps with your decision.

That was me... 30 days ago ... do I spring for the srt8 superbee and thats it or do I find a used sho and mod it. Well I found a used SHO (2010 with 6k miles on it) and modded it three weeks later. I made the right choice as I still have some coin in my pocket. Good luck.

That was me... 30 days ago ... do I spring for the srt8 superbee and thats it or do I find a used sho and mod it. Well I found a used SHO (2010 with 6k miles on it) and modded it three weeks later. I made the right choice as I still have some coin in my pocket. Good luck.

Well, since I bought an SRT 2 days ago, the only question now is which SHO is going to join it in the garage......

Actually, I did mull over the option of just adding another SRT in Charger form to the other half of the garage, but decided some variety was needed plus I have owned 4 SHO's in the past--gotta try the latest one! Good thing the Dodge dealer had no SRT Chargers on the lot--might have test driven one and become an all MOPAR guy!

Almost everything the 2013 has can be adapted to the 2010-2012 with the exception of a few body styling pieces. Just get a nice 2010, add a trans cooler, tune, exhaust, lowering springs and a cai and have money left over. I bought my 2010 in late 2011 and saved almost $15k over a new one. Just have to shop around! Good luck.

Actually, I did mull over the option of just adding another SRT in Charger form to the other half of the garage.

Good thing the Dodge dealer had no SRT Chargers on the lot--might have test driven one and become an all MOPAR guy!

Hhhmmmm..... Chargers, Chargers...... Here's a few pics of my old multiple award winning Charger:

Newcarpetingforshows003.jpg

Newcarpetingforshows002.jpg

Newcarpetingforshows008.jpg

TrunkInteriorJUN09.jpg

But, I assure you as I type this..... the SHO will be just as insane, if not more so, than the Charger build project car was! :whistle:

:welcome: First glad that you have joined us. I can't blame you for getting the SRT Challenger' date=' however, I don't know if I could let me wife have a great car like that... Next, I gotta admit I really like the SHO and the 13's are very sharp. I don't believe that there is any tuning available for the 13's because I don't think the codes have been broken yet. So if you want to get a tune in the car it will have to be a 10-12. Anyway, with the tune the car performs great, I was amazed how great this car runs with the tune, plus it is a fun car to drive and is very comfortable for longer drives. Lastly, the production numbers on the SHO's are rather low, so you will see a lot less of them then most of the other muscle cars that are out there. Hope this helps with your decision.[/quote']

I hear ya on the wife driving an SRT comment. She was moving from a Porsche (Boxster), so had to get her a nice ride(?). Plus she is retired now and the keys will be in the basket more often than not...

As for the downside of the 2013 given no tuning (yet), I was not planning to do much out of the gate, at least until warranty ran out.

I need to check the production number comparison out of curiousity. Really the relevant number would seem to be the SRT vs SHO versions respectively. I am guessing more SHO's on the road than SRT Challengers. For sure there are fewer "Yellow Jacket" versions of the SRT that is sitting in the garage--think that was limited to 1000 units. For better or worse, that yellow version draws a lot of looks on the road. The SHO will be my "stealth" ride--no yellow ones even if one was of such a mind! I'm still getting used to a yellow car to be honest....

It is really a great car era when one is comparing cars like the latest SHO and a 392 old school type muscle car that are both relatively affordable and pretty good values compared to some of the other options.

This is a great forum--really appreciate the response--did not expect to have this many members replying.

Almost everything the 2013 has can be adapted to the 2010-2012 with the exception of a few body styling pieces. Just get a nice 2010' date=' add a trans cooler, tune, exhaust, lowering springs and a cai and have money left over. I bought my 2010 in late 2011 and saved almost $15k over a new one. Just have to shop around! Good luck.[/quote']

That sounds like one heck of a deal. Have not found a 2010 with that much off even sticker, and this is many months later in 2012 plus with '13's released and on the road. I can be patient now and wait for a deal--the SRT keys are in the basket if I need a fix until then. I can live without the 2013 styling updates, and am assuming the performance package upgrades for '13 can be achieved with mods as needed. Used just seems like the more compelling buy for these SHO's, especially after writing the SRT check.....

Yup' date=' this is a great forum and a bunch of great people. Congrats on deciding to go the route of a SHO. You will not be disappointed with the results of the stock car, and when you add a tune it will only get better![/quote']

Oh, I am sure there will be no regrets on getting the SHO. Just need to try and be patient and find the right car at the right price. Fortunately, I am not too picky on color (all of them seemed at least acceptable), and most seem to be loaded-up with options, so the first deal found should result in a purchase. It seems the 2010's found so offered are still a bit high given the 2013 is out, so I am going to be patient. I have gotten feedback from buyers who bought cars back in late 2011 that were priced at what has been found so far. I'm thinking 6+ months later and release of the next model year should reduce the prices by at least a few thou?

Anyway, thanks again to all for helping me. I really like this forum. Have been an active member in other forums, and this is a good one for sure.

Henne, you are so right, one of the local dealers here has a 2010 listed for slightly over 26. I don't know anything about the car, don't know the mileage or how it is equipped, but I sure would like to check it out, just to see how it is equipped, but I'm betting that if they are asking 26 you could get the car for 21-22.

Henne' date=' you are so right, one of the local dealers here has a 2010 listed for slightly over 26. I don't know anything about the car, don't know the mileage or how it is equipped, but I sure would like to check it out, just to see how it is equipped, but I'm betting that if they are asking 26 you could get the car for 21-22.[/quote']

I wonder if the $3000 incentives on new 2012's are starting to drive down used prices? Have found several dealer listings for 2010's still under full warranty (<36k) for under $26K listing price, but none are local to me. I still think a nice used is the better deal, but there may be some compelling deals on the last of the new 2012's as more 2013's roll-out. My last SHO was a '99 purchased in 2000 and recall I got close to $10K off sticker between discount and incentives after it was sitting on the lot for a year. Maybe ford will up the incentives if too many 2012's are in the inventory when the $2500 + $500 expires on 7/2? I'm guessing one can get maybe $4000 (more?) off sticker even before rebates. At some point new becomes the better deal. I will pull the trigger on the first really good used deal, but have not found one locally yet.

I just perused Autotrader again and quickly found a 2011 with relatively low miles for under $26k asking price:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46410&endYear=2013&keywords=SHO&modelCode1=TAURUS&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=67746&startYear=2010&makeCode1=FORD&keywordsfyc=SHO&searchRadius=500&showcaseListingId=322033132&listingId=321723218&Log=0

I was trying to buy a nice used one from a fellow enthusiast, but it looks like dealers are pricing these to sell.

It is getting close....

Have a guy deciding today if he is going to buy my 2008 silverado 4 by 4 with 4500 miles. That will leave me a car short and even more motivated. I am waiting to hear back from a guy with a low mile loaded 2010 SHO. I found a new 2012 with no options locally (relatively) with zero options--gonna call now and see how motivated they are to move 2012's now that 2013 is out. With the $3000 in current 2012 incentives, might as well at least explore new.

See EBB's boost, being able to tune the 12 would weight heavy in my decision if the price was right...after driving the tuned SHO, I would rather have a tuned one then the new 13 at this point. Hopefully, they will get the 13 figured out in the near future. Good luck with your decision!

See EBB's boost' date=' being able to tune the 12 would weight heavy in my decision if the price was right...after driving the tuned SHO, I would rather have a tuned one then the new 13 at this point. Hopefully, they will get the 13 figured out in the near future. Good luck with your decision![/quote']

The new I was looking at currently for a deal is a 2012. The dealers are not quite as anxious to move the '12's out as expected after getting the bottom line price, and I was mistaken on the rebate--only $2500--the other $500 was if using Ford credit. This is a really tough decision on a stripped brand new '12 vs a nice loaded used '10.

Take the loaded 10. Mine was loaded. Only thing missing was massage seats and the feature of automatic cruise control. Do either of them have the performance package?

The new stripper has zero options and thus no PP. The 10 does have the PP.

I am leaning more and more toward the 10. An extra 2500 bucks off just does not seem enough incentive to buy a new 12, which is now is a year old model with 13's out.

I did a search of dealers both here in IA & in Southwest FL. There are NO 2012 SHO's showing up on Ford's sites in IA, but some dealers don't list. One dealer in the Ft. Myers area had 2, both loaded non PP cars. The $2,500. is not a particularly good deal, probably because there are few cars available.

When was the 2010 built?

I did a search of dealers both here in IA & in Southwest FL. There are NO 2012 SHO's showing up on Ford's sites in IA, but some dealers don't list. One dealer in the Ft. Myers area had 2, both loaded non PP cars. The $2,500. is not a particularly good deal, probably because there are few cars available.

When was the 2010 built?

Wow, I would have figured there would be more 2012 stock still sitting on lots. Looks like holding out for a bigger rebate from Ford to clear 12's is a useless strategy. Plus that's not until July 2 when current deal ends....I can't wait that long for a "Christmas in July".... The $2500 was in addition to dealer discount, which was about $3000. I'd maybe save another $1500 or so on the sales tax reduction if trading in my truck on new, assuming they gave me a good buck. I did REALLY good on real dollars received on the Boxster for SRT trade last week, so was definitely going to at least try that option if going for the new SHO. It is tough to value that truck since it is 4 years old but only 4600 miles--comparables were not found.

I am kind of leaning toward the 10 with all the goodies, but have not ruled out the stripper '12, since it is a LOT closer to me.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply!!!

All I have is the 3/22/10 sticker print date--a close enough proxy for the build date? That would make it a late '10 build?

When was the 2010 built?

I was way off on build date--just got a PM from guy who looked up for me--10/9/09 build. Relevant to decision at hand?

Archived