Ecoboost Owner Forums

SHO lover getting ready to make an Ecoboost the FIFTH one!

jim1274

I drove the MKS and then the PP 2013, I actually thought the ride was much more harsh on the MKS??? Go figure? Compared to the 2012 SHO interior the MKS seemed nicer, but the updated soft materials in the 2013 was on par with the MKS for sure. I ended up ordering a 2013 non-PP after much stewing. Ultimately I decided summer tires in Utah winters is a BAD idea, plus for $600 more I got the 20" wheels and all seasons anyhow. Also, now that I have used the adaptive cruise, I cannot imagine NOT having it! Wow! As for braking, its just upgraded pads on the PP, so that's not even a consideration to me...But the last lingering issue was that the non-PP would have "soft" suspension...NO WAY! After driving my 13 the last few weeks, I have absolutely no regrets, none! I actually wonder if Ford really puts different suspension on the two packages, they feel and ride identical. I'm certainly not trying to sway you in one direction, but I can say that I have no regrets getting all the added tech features that come in the non-PP, and the performance is exactly the same as far as I can tell.

Good luck!

Well, this might be the most timely comment yet. I swing between the 2010 used deal and a new 2013. The wife told me this morning over coffee that I am making a mistake in considering a used--get a new one exactly how you want it--you will not be happy if the used has one flaw on it. I will probably make an offer today on the black loaded non-PP 2013 that was driven a couple days ago. I'm not sure how good a deal can be driven on these, but there does seem to be a decent inventory of them on lots. Most are loaded non-PP cars, so I can always price at another dealer or two if needed. I am going to search current local dealers inventory for loaded 2013's and make some calls today. In fact, I'm going to shoot the dealer visited Wednesday an aggressive offer via email right now.

I'd say it is at least 50-50 I will be posting a picture of the new ride tonight......

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck in your search! I was in a somewhat similar dilemma when I bought my '12. I wanted PP & Nav, but couldn't find both on the same car. I had to make a choice and ended up going with the PP.

In any case, i think you're making the right choice in going 2013. It's a better car with the added tranny cooler & bigger brakes. You also get the led tails without the crappy chrome trim.

I wish I would've waited just a little longer for the 2013!!!

Found 11 SHO's within 30 miles and 7 MKS AWD. The MKS listings were not real clear on ecoboost--are all MKS that have AWD mean ecoboost too? Not up on the Lincoln model terminology.

Actually saw one AWD MKS that looked promising if ecoboost--not clear from the ad.

If you are using Auto Trader, just put Ecoboost in the "Special Info" area. A few non- EB will still come up but very few. The ones I thought promising were 3 MKS at a dealer in Washington, PA which is likely about 400 mi from you. The neutral interior is what I would need.. (MKS only) but that's just me. If the engine is a 3.5 w/ AWD it should be EcoBoost. The 3.7 is definitely NOT. Dealer should mention EcoBoost in detail. Last night, doing Auto Trader search, nationwide, I found 113 SHO's and 200+ MKS using EcoBoost in box of special requests. There was a loaded (non PP) 11' Red Candy SHO in Mississippi that had less than 7,000 mi for under $30 K at a Ford dealer. You can search low to high mileage, or low to high price etc. Many were certified.

As far as suspension... My Flex has H & R's, plus XL (extra Load) tires that are Max performance. Also has air bags in rear suspension pumped to about 40 psi. Does it ride firm... Quite, but we're in our 60's and have owned Caddies, Lincolns etc. and we find it just perfect. My 2 G8 GT's have stock suspensions and Bridgestone 050A (stock tires) and they ride slightly softer.

We love black, but it is a bitch to keep clean, and black/black is not acceptable to us as it gets too hot here in IA in summer and FL in winter.

WhenI was looking for my Eco MKS, I also used 3.5 or turbo as a keyword, as not every ad said "Ecoboost". I am not challenging anybody's opinion, but I have driven several SHOs and MKS' in my search. I found many did not have proper tire pressures. When properly adjusted, I found the MKS would always ride smoother and quieter and the SHO would be firmer (sportier) and feel more connected to the ground.

Makes me wonder if that MKS was overinflated? That's a good point! I kept thinking, "Man this thing sure seems like it rides rough for a Lincoln?"...I worried the PP SHO would REALLY be rough in comparison. I do have to say that the interior on the MKS is simply beautiful!!! Although the 2013 SHO got really close, the interior on the lincoln is amazing!

hello just a quick lil 2 cents ill add, i live in ny and i cant find a pp sho around also,i have a 2010 sho, but if i had a choice i would get whatever i like most which i LOVEEEEE THE 2010 sho which is probably half the price now of the 2013 and you can do alotttt of upgrades and mods to make it what you want in ur own different way for alot less overall then still the 2013, but either way if money isnt a issue then you can go wrong,but i do wish the 2010 brake system was better and also i think on the 2013 the back up camera is in the middle on the ford emblem which i think is sooooooooo much better then on the rear spoiler of the 2010,i have a black SHO and loveeee black cars esp. when you chrome with it, black is just so sexy and beautiful when its so nice out and cleaned,but it demands and must clean soooo much and you see every lil dust,dirt,marks etc. but i still love black, i do like the 2013 black or charcoal SHO interior also, well good luck which your choice buddy

anthony

Thanks, Bob, as I am done waffling around and need some real help now getting the right spec on a new 2013. The more I think about it, a used 2010 just does not seem that compelling when I can get in a brand new 2013 for about 8500 bucks more by giving up the options. If this title lien issue and added risk had not surfaced, I probably would be posting a photo of the 2010 on Saturday. I am not 100% ruling out the 2010, but if the seller does not have some more definite answer soon on getting the title issue resolved, I am getting a '13.

First off, yes I did search for a used MKS. There are a lot fewer of them on the used market, and I did not see any that looked like promising deals.

I searched the forum using "2013" search term and read everything found to get some insight on the PP and such. Found some help, but not a lot of threads yet.

The best way to make a call on PP or no PP would be to find a dealer with both and test drive. Have not found one--almost every 2013 car on the lots seem to be loaded non-PP cars. Not sure I really need the PP. We have some really lousy roads around here (everywhere anymore?), so a little more compliant suspension may not be a bad thing. Don't see this car going to the track, so is the extra cooling needed? I do love my big Brembos on all fours on the SRT, so the real brake upgrade on the '13 version of the PP caught my eye for sure. Those 20" wheels are pretty nice too for sure. I drove the non-PP 2013 and certainly did not find it lacking or a mushy suspension by any means. And with the SRT on the other side of the garage, not sure if I need the ultimate SHO performance. If the PP came with all-season tires, I might just spend the $2000 and be done with it.

Anybody out there drive both the 2013 PP and non-PP cars and prefer the non-PP ride comfort??

Color selection is personal preference, so am on my own on that spec. (never owned a black car in my life--might actually make this my first one--wife liked the red)

I really liked the Nav on my last 3 cars--check that box.

The only other option that I really would like is the premium sound, but a $3000 package to get it seems like a lot of money, but a chunk of that goes to the BLIS and such. The premium sound in my SRT Challenger is really good and I think about that every time I skip over the 402A check box....

I may have just answered my own questions. The dealer had 2 black '13's with about every option available except the PP. The easy, but expensive, solution is to go over tomorrow and right the check and start driving. Hmmmm.....

If you are using Auto Trader, just put Ecoboost in the "Special Info" area. A few non- EB will still come up but very few. The ones I thought promising were 3 MKS at a dealer in Washington, PA which is likely about 400 mi from you. The neutral interior is what I would need.. (MKS only) but that's just me. If the engine is a 3.5 w/ AWD it should be EcoBoost. The 3.7 is definitely NOT. Dealer should mention EcoBoost in detail. Last night, doing Auto Trader search, nationwide, I found 113 SHO's and 200+ MKS using EcoBoost in box of special requests. There was a loaded (non PP) 11' Red Candy SHO in Mississippi that had less than 7,000 mi for under $30 K at a Ford dealer. You can search low to high mileage, or low to high price etc. Many were certified.

As far as suspension... My Flex has H & R's, plus XL (extra Load) tires that are Max performance. Also has air bags in rear suspension pumped to about 40 psi. Does it ride firm... Quite, but we're in our 60's and have owned Caddies, Lincolns etc. and we find it just perfect. My 2 G8 GT's have stock suspensions and Bridgestone 050A (stock tires) and they ride slightly softer.

We love black, but it is a bitch to keep clean, and black/black is not acceptable to us as it gets too hot here in IA in summer and FL in winter.

First off, not a single local new car of 6 prospects worked out yesterday. Litany of reasons, but most involving price in some fashion. There was a change in price that I am trying to work through with the primary dealer or this would be a picture of a loaded 2013 black and not more hand wringing on what to get. I was prepared to write the check. Not to be.

I dug deeper on that promising local MKS AWD listing and it was NOT in fact an ecoboost. You mention that promising one about 400 miles from me. Wow--I never even CONSIDERED a car more than a couple hundred miles away. That just seems too risky. I mean, that is a long way to go even after due diligence. The private seller I am talking to is 220 miles away and even that has been a hassle given the distance. Maybe I need to expand my range, particularly in regards to a MKS as and option. Actually, the more I think about it, the better an MKS sounds. I'll work a little harder on the MKS search paramaters and sniff out the ecoboosts. (i did use ecoboost in the search--did not get as accurate of results as when using SHO for the ford version)

Is certified relevant if a car is still under full 36 month warranty?

I don't mind a firm ride at all. I've been more likely to complain about too soft in the past. Our new SRT8 Challenger seems just right to me on the ride--the PP SHO can't be any less compliant than that car?

As for black, believe me, I know the cons and have reservations. There is a reason that I've had maybe 20 new cars over the years and zero have been black. Since this will not be a daily driver, the black seems less of a problem. The truck that I just sold to make room for a SHO was dark blue metallic--black is similar work in keeping it sharp looking? Black on black is a good point in regards to heat--that will be pretty toasty in full sun on a hot day! Hmmmm....those neutral MKS interiors are sounding interesting...

Time to troll Autotrader again it seems. Just found out yesterday that the used red 2010 will not have title in hand until after July 9, and the dealer deal snafu is unresolved, so I am still in the looking phase it seems. I have spent more screwing around on this by a large margin than any other car in my many years of car buying. That SRT8 Challenger deal by comparison took maybe a hour and a half total including looking-driving-buying. The saga continues.....

WhenI was looking for my Eco MKS' date=' I also used 3.5 or turbo as a keyword, as not every ad said "Ecoboost". I am not challenging anybody's opinion, but I have driven several SHOs and MKS' in my search. I found many did not have proper tire pressures. When properly adjusted, I found the MKS would always ride smoother and quieter and the SHO would be firmer (sportier) and feel more connected to the ground.[/quote']

I could probably live with a little softer suspension on this car. It is not going to the track or anything like that, and I do have that SRT8 in the garage if I feel in a sporting mood. I am thinking any version is going to have a little more sporty handling than my 2006 TL.

One thing I did notice and REALLY liked was the cabin isolation from road noise on the 2013. That is the one thing I hate about my TL--REALLY lets in a LOT of road noise. I don't get that on a car of that type and cost.

just ran the Autotrader MKS search using turbo then ecoboost for search parameters. Decided to stick to 100 mile radius--that is about my limit at this point. Found 4 within about an hour drive worth scoping out and one about 1.5 hours that would merit a call first. I'm thinking if this latest attempt does not work out, I'm either waiting a couple more weeks for the title to come in on the red 2010 or just making my best new deal.

Say, what do you guys use as your resource for looking up dealer invoice prices??? I used Edmunds, but the dealer quoted me an invoice price of well over $1000 bucks more than Edmunds, and yes, the options and sticker were the same. If not for that, since we were making a deal on any car with same discount relative to invoice, I'd have a 2013 in the garage right now--was ready to buy yesterday until the deal appeared to be changed.

That MKS option is really starting to grow on me. The MKS is a pretty handsome vehicle. Not that I don't like the SHO, but the Lincoln version is really nice, and the light interior availability is something I never thought of. I'd say the vast majority of my cars in the past have had black interior, with a gray here and there. Other than the slate blue interior on the wife's boxster that turned into a yellow w/ black interior Challenger, I can't recall any other colors from the past. One interior color on the MKS that did not work for me was the brown--had to dump a couple local prospects with the brown interior.

This white with cream(?) interior caught my eye, but more miles than I was targeting (trying to stay in mid-20k miles at tops)

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46410&endYear=2012&keywords=ecoboost&modelCode1=MKS&sortBy=distanceASC&driveCode=4WD|AWD&startYear=1981&makeCode1=LINC&keywordsfyc=ecoboost&searchRadius=100&listingId=323646417&Log=0

The top 3 prospects are all black on black with 18k to 28k miles priced from 30-32k. Suppose I should go take a look to cover all the bases....

Re: the MKS warranty. If it is certified, it is 6 years/100K miles from in service date. Factory Lincoln warranty is 4 years/50K from in service date. Definitely get certified, like I did! And a few shamelss photos I just posted in another thread to help persuade you to an MKS so I am not alone here anymore. :)

MKSside.jpg

mksrear.jpg

Re: the MKS warranty. If it is certified, it is 6 years/100K miles from in service date. Factory Lincoln warranty is 4 years/50K from in service date. Definitely get certified, like I did! And a few shamelss photos I just posted in another thread to help persuade you to an MKS so I am not alone here anymore. :)

MKSside.jpg

mksrear.jpg

Just finished MKS Adventure. Complete waste of time. I will never believe a dealer again. This is not going well at all....but...I liked the MKS A LOT! Just not this one.

I found out why they did not post any photos of the car in Autotrader (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46410&endYear=2012&keywords=turbo&modelCode1=MKS&sortBy=distanceASC&driveCode=4WD|AWD&startYear=1981&makeCode1=LINC&firstRecord=26&keywordsfyc=turbo&searchRadius=100&listingId=315835717&Log=0)--would have shown all 4 wheels had a run-in with a curb at some point for starters.

The price was right, the car was certified, the options were nice....but...the car was trashed by my standards and had zero service record and no proof the oil had even ever been changed. I should have know it was too good to be true.

The MKS is a really nice car in general. Just not this one. The saga continues.....

A couple observations on the MKS I just test drove:

I did not like the intrusion of the stability control system at all. Did an aggressive cornering move and it did some weird stuff that actually had me nervous for a moment. That may be great in rain or snow, but not sure if I would want it on during spirited driving on dry pavement.

The audio system was really weak. I'm not sure how the MKS audio rigs map over to the SHO models, but if sound was a key feature to a buyer, that one would not cut it IMHO. I'm definitely going to make sure whatever I buy has the Sony or equivalent upgrade. Is the sound upgrade on the MKS the Lincoln equivalent to the Sony on the Ford?? I hope the Ford Sony is a lot better than this MKS system. It is part of the rapid spec 201A and called "THX-II CERT AUDIO W/5.1 SURR" on the sticker below.

Too bad this car had so many cosmetic flaws and history was suspect--$30K for a $53K sticker car with 28k miles is certainly a good price.

LINCOLN MKS

2010 AWD 4 DOOR SEDAN GTDI 5-PASSENGER 3.5L ECOBOOST V6 24V 6-SPD SELECTSHIFT TRANS EXTERIOR: TUXEDO BLACK METALLIC INTERIOR: BLACK ULTIMATE LEATHER VIN: 1LNHL9FT1AG610929

ORIGINAL MSRP:

$52,840

EQUIPMENT

FUNCTIONAL

4-WHL DISC BRAKES WITH ABS SECURICODE KEYLESS ENTRY INTELLIGENT ACCESS W/PUSH

BUTTON START REVERSE SENSING SYSTEM REAR WINDOW PWR SUNSHADE MYKEY AMBIENT LIGHTING

INTERIOR

THX II CERTIFIED AUDIO SYS SIRIUS SAT RADIO N/A AK/HI SYNC VOICE ACTIVATED SYS LTHR/ WOOD TILT/TEL WHL W/

AUDIO,CRUISE & MEDIA CTRL 12-WAY PWR DRIVER W/LUMBAR 12-WAY PWR PASS W/LUMBAR HEATED & COOLED FRT SEATS

WITH DRIVER'S MEMORY HEATED REAR SEATS DUAL-ZONE ELECTRONIC

AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL

EXTERIOR

ADAPTIVE HID HEADLAMPS FOG LAMPS HEATED PWR MIRRORS W/ MEM

& SECURITY APPROACH LAMPS DUAL EXHAUST W/ CHROME TIP EASY FUEL CAPLESS FUEL FIL

SAFETY/SECURITY

PERSONAL SAFETY SYSTEM DUAL STAGE FRONT AIR BAGS SIDE AIRBAGS/SAFETY CANOPY SOS POST CRASH SYSTEM PERIMETER ANTITHEFT SYSTEM

ADVANCE TRAC WITH ESC

INCLUDED ON THIS VEHICLE

RAPID SPEC 201A ULTIMATE PACKAGE DUAL PANEL MOONROOF NAVIGATION PACKAGE VOICE ACTIVATED NAV SYSTEM REAR VIEW CAMERA THX-II CERT AUDIO W/5.1 SURR

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

245/45R20 TIRES 20" POLISHED CAST ALUM WHEEL WOOD DOOR TRIM PKG

Is that the NEW Caddy XTS????

Now that you mention it, they do look similar - hadn't really noticed..... You should hear the Caddy guys on my Caddy forum swearing up and down there are NO similarities. Ignorance is bliss. LOL

My stability control has never activated - which leads me to believe something was wrong or were the tires ready to be thrown out?

As far as the stereo goes, it is allegedly 600 watts. Mine is plenty loud but does not seem like the claimed 600. It is extremely clear and crisp, just not ear bleeding loud (as you would expect from that kind of power) My 07 Escalade was louder with less claimed wattage and more space to fill sound with. I have no point of comparison for the SHO. One other plus for the MKS are the adaptive headlights. They seem gimmicky, but really work great. Does the SHO have that in 2013?

The MSRP on mine was $53,265 (including destination& Delivery of $825), and my equipment seems identical to yours. So I am not sure why mine was $400.00 more - It was an early 7/09 build too.

For reference, I bought mine in March 2012 with 34K on the clock Certified, with 4 brand new Michelins installed. In service date was 9/09, so I am warrantied until 100k miles or 9/15. $29200 Plus tax.

Now that you mention it' date=' they do look similar - hadn't really noticed..... You should hear the Caddy guys on my Caddy forum swearing up and down there are NO similarities. Ignorance is bliss. LOL[/quote']

That was said before... just rubbing it in. I too think the MKS is better lookin than the XTS... Loaded Caddy AWD is $61,000.

My stability control has never activated - which leads me to believe something was wrong or were the tires ready to be thrown out?

As far as the stereo goes, it is allegedly 600 watts. Mine is plenty loud but does not seem like the claimed 600. It is extremely clear and crisp, just not ear bleeding loud (as you would expect from that kind of power) My 07 Escalade was louder with less claimed wattage and more space to fill sound with. I have no point of comparison for the SHO. One other plus for the MKS are the adaptive headlights. They seem gimmicky, but really work great. Does the SHO have that in 2013?

The MSRP on mine was $53,265 (including destination& Delivery of $825), and my equipment seems identical to yours. So I am not sure why mine was $400.00 more - It was an early 7/09 build too.

For reference, I bought mine in March 2012 with 34K on the clock Certified, with 4 brand new Michelins installed. In service date was 9/09, so I am warrantied until 100k miles or 9/15. $29200 Plus tax.

This car was very suspect even beyond the stability control. If I had to guess, it was maybe a repo--most cars less than 2 years into a lease do not end up at the auction? I think someone thrashed it and never changed the oil, but that is just my guess. Maybe the stereo was bad? The bass was badly distorted at medium volume levels and the bass EQ was set to flat. Crisp and clear at any point in the frequency distribution it was surely not. Not sue on the adaptive headlights--would have to check that.

I am assuming yours was in good condition unlike this one, and if so, that seems like a good and comparable deal. I absolutely went with the hope and intention of buying and would have given the $30K asking price--all the exterior damage and suspicious history was the deal killer. That car had more damage than I've collectively had on my cars in 20 years. Guess I'm not going to be going to join you as an MKS guy on the forum....

The deals seem better in Michigan--maybe a combination of weaker economy and larger supply?

I took a look at the build your own 2012 MKS on the Lincoln site--going to stick with a SHO for the new option--MKS pricier new. Getting pretty discouraged on the used option after today--very close to taking used off the table other than the red 2010 deal I've been working on for the last month. I expect two year old SHO's to be in a lot better shape than what I'm seeing--amazing how people trash a car this nice.

I did find a couple other promising 2010 MKS cars in the general area, but not sure if it is worth 75 minute rides to see them after getting burned today on a car. MAYBE I will call and dig for info on these two, but the one looked at today was represented as clean and cosmetically good. I really am distrusting of car dealers...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46410&endYear=2012&keywords=ecoboost&modelCode1=MKS&sortBy=distanceASC&driveCode=4WD|AWD&startYear=1981&makeCode1=LINC&keywordsfyc=ecoboost&searchRadius=50&listingId=321652354&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46410&endYear=2012&keywords=ecoboost&modelCode1=MKS&sortBy=distanceASC&driveCode=4WD|AWD&startYear=1981&makeCode1=LINC&keywordsfyc=ecoboost&searchRadius=100&listingId=323431200&Log=0

Jim' date=' It may have had blown speakers.... Sounds like they had a teenager driving the MKS frequently.[/quote']

Yeah--think that is likely. Boy, I am sure glad they would not negotiate on the price, even though they told me BEFORE I drove over that the price was definitely not firm. I am so tired of looking I might have been tempted if they cut a few thousand off, and would probably have been sorry. No, I am sure it would have been a mistake--would have cringed every time I washed the wheels and had to look at the damaged rims...

Say, does anybody have access to or can point me to the definitive place to determine the dealer invoice price on a 2013 SHO?

This is the one that would be in the garage right now if not for a discrepancy on what the dealer invoice cost is (my deal is referenced to dealer invoice price):

$39200 base

$3000 402a

$995 moonroof

$695 20" wheels

$1195 adaptive cruise

$595 multi contour

$795 nav

$795 destination

$47270 total

The dealer says invoice is $44,423, which is about $1000 more than Edmunds says.

I just used the Edmund's request a quote service since things are not moving forward with my local dealer--still waiting since yesterday morning for a clarification on the price. Maybe somebody wants what could be a 10 minute sale since I don't need a test drive or any hand-holding?

Also sent an email inquiry for more details on the two 2010 MKS ecoboosts from autotrader referenced in post 97(!)--not driving to look at them until I am comfortable that the cars are in excellent cosmetic condition after my experience today.

This has to be the longest thread ever about TRYING to buy an ecoboost......

Archived