Ecoboost Owner Forums

Non painted plastic exterior pieces?

What has everyone found best to care for their non painted black plastic skirt pieces?? I'm assuming some sort of armor-all or something similar? Also, how do you apply protectant, spray careful or rag it on?? I'm really scratching my head on why Ford left the skirt panels unpainted.

http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodid=64

I use this and it works great. It ha a sponge and you just apply it like wax. It returns the shine and protects. I put that stuff on before I wax and that way I won't get that white wax stain on the plastic.

That's why I love EBForum somebody know the anwser to that scratch your head question!! thanks fueld13 for asking what I was thinking.

Ive tried both, Mothers and Turtle wax, very similar products but I prefer the Turtle Wax. I am going to stop applying either to the piece between the hood and windshield, residue will accumilate on the bottom of the windshield making it harder to get glass clean.

I've used most of what the people here have mentioned, and can't say I was happy with any of them...they either didn't do a very good job, or didn't last...I would recommend Adam's Polishes VRT or In and Out Spray...the In and Out works awesome and lasts, not only protects but shines great. The other thing that I do like and you can use it both interior and exterior is Aerospace 303 Protectant, this is great stuff. Be aware none of the 3 are inexpensive, but you really get what you pay for, you can find Adam's on-line at: Adam's Polishes, and not sure where to find the Aerospace 303 line, but if you check on-line they have a list of places that carry their line.

One last word, like everything else when it comes to detailing, there is no secret magic bullet, keeping the trim looking good, is like keeping the rest of the vehicle looking sharp, almost consent attention to it and doing it right. There is no way to keep a vehicle looking it's best without doing a bunch of steps...they kind of thing most people will say is too much work...

One more thing, in just the past few minutes several things have been going on and I must say, if you have never used Adam's Polishes products, you really should give them a try. Customer service is OUTSTANDING and the products give really great results...if you want your car to look the best possible, give them a try. Sorry to sound like an ad for Adam's it's just that they really do have a great product line.

Thanks for all the great ideas! Looks like I might need to give a couple a try and see what I think.

While on the detailing subject, what waxes are people liking? I have used a polish called Honda glare polish the last couple years. Its made specifically for bikes but can be used to polish all your chrome, glass, etc...I was using it on a 65 Mercedes and it really was great at dressing up the chrome. I'm not really sure that it was giving a good wet look, but it did seem like it held up for a long time. Has anyone used glare? Otherwise, I would love to hear some thoughts on waxes that people have found that work well!

Underhood I use 303 Aerospace protectant (already mentioned above). I have used it on the trim, but I found Poorboy's World Trim Restorer works very well when applied with a rag. I've also tried Back to Black but was never satisfied with the results. The Poorboy's has not let me down yet, and smells a bit like coconut. For metal surfaces I've used Collinite metal polish and am amazed how good it does. There's nothing on the SHO that I would use the metal polish on though, I use it on the chrome wheels on my Aviator and the faucets in the house. For the painted surfaces I use a clay bar (Meguiars, Mothers, doesn't matter) followed by Collinite 845 wax. This offers very long lasting protection relative to most waxes on the market and also does not leave a residue when it gets on the unpainted plastic. It also works well on the chrome-like trim on the car. It's easy to apply and easy to buff off. If ever I have swirls or scratches in the paint, I use 3M foam pad polishing compound along with a foam pad on a buffer. For fine swirls I use Meguiars #9 swirl remover, works great.

For the interior I have used Detailer's Pro Total Interior Cleaner. This leaves just the right shine for my taste on the instrument cluster and seats and also has a light banana smell. I've tried several other DP products and unfortunately this is the only one I like. Recently I've also been trying out Optimum Opti Clean Cleaner and Protectant for the interior. I'm not sure which I prefer, the Optimum has really no smell to it.

For the tires I use Pinnacle Black Onxy tire gel. This stuff goes on well and doesn't sling if not over-applied.

To remove fine scratches in the instrument cluster plastic or the driver's door keyless entry pad I've had decent luck with Griot's Garage Plastic Care Kit. I've also tried Plastix but didn't seem much improvement with it. There was a noticeable improvement with the Griot's (although still not "like new").

When cleaning the glass, I've tried a few different products and my favorite are the "Invisible Glass" products.

With the exception of the 3M foam pad polishing compound and Meguiars #9 swirl remover that I bought at the local automotive finishes store, all the other products mentioned above I purchased from Autogeek.net.

-Rod

Underhood I use 303 Aerospace protectant (already mentioned above). I have used it on the trim, but I found Poorboy's World Trim Restorer works very well when applied with a rag. I've also tried Back to Black but was never satisfied with the results. The Poorboy's has not let me down yet, and smells a bit like coconut. For metal surfaces I've used Collinite metal polish and am amazed how good it does. There's nothing on the SHO that I would use the metal polish on though, I use it on the chrome wheels on my Aviator and the faucets in the house. For the painted surfaces I use a clay bar (Meguiars, Mothers, doesn't matter) followed by Collinite 845 wax. This offers very long lasting protection relative to most waxes on the market and also does not leave a residue when it gets on the unpainted plastic. It also works well on the chrome-like trim on the car. It's easy to apply and easy to buff off. If ever I have swirls or scratches in the paint, I use 3M foam pad polishing compound along with a foam pad on a buffer. For fine swirls I use Meguiars #9 swirl remover, works great.

For the interior I have used Detailer's Pro Total Interior Cleaner. This leaves just the right shine for my taste on the instrument cluster and seats and also has a light banana smell. I've tried several other DP products and unfortunately this is the only one I like. Recently I've also been trying out Optimum Opti Clean Cleaner and Protectant for the interior. I'm not sure which I prefer, the Optimum has really no smell to it.

For the tires I use Pinnacle Black Onxy tire gel. This stuff goes on well and doesn't sling if not over-applied.

To remove fine scratches in the instrument cluster plastic or the driver's door keyless entry pad I've had decent luck with Griot's Garage Plastic Care Kit. I've also tried Plastix but didn't seem much improvement with it. There was a noticeable improvement with the Griot's (although still not "like new").

When cleaning the glass, I've tried a few different products and my favorite are the "Invisible Glass" products.

With the exception of the 3M foam pad polishing compound and Meguiars #9 swirl remover that I bought at the local automotive finishes store, all the other products mentioned above I purchased from Autogeek.net.

-Rod

Wow!!! I pretty much use all the same products as Rod with the same results...I still like Zaino Bros for my paint protection however. I also like Klasse with Pinnacle Paste over it

Another +1 for Adam's Super VRT. I detail cars on the side - not really a professional but i do family/friends/co-workers cars for a fee. I don't own a SHO (yet) but my wife has a GMC Acadia which also has the dark grey/black trim along the bottom. Super VRT gives it a great matte shine - not too blingy like armorall. It's also waterproof so it lasts a long time. I also use Super VRT for tire dresssing - going on three weeks on my WRX with 2 rain storms and they're still holding the shine.

Adam's All Purpose cleaner is another go-to bottle. I haven't used any of their polishes or waxes but the VRT and APC are great!

Archived