Ecoboost Owner Forums

What do you launch at with the foot brake?

Paulford8

I am hitting a track rental this weekend with a re-match against a pesky SRT8 Jeep. He will probably want to line up as soon as they let us so I wont have time to play with the foot brake.

How many RPMs do you guys run up foot braking? Dont want to roll through my brakes but want to have the turbos as close to spooling as possible.

For my Flex, with smaller lighter tires/wheels and an adjusted 3.40 axle ratio, I go with at least 1,800. You want the RPM's to be as high as possible without causing issues with your AWD system, which will shut it down. I would practice somewhere to see the holding point of your brakes before you go to the strip.

A somewhat related question, sort of: From a stop, no brake standing, when I simply take my foot off the brake and mash the gas to the floor, I don't get any chirp. Even with AWD, that surprises me. Is this normal for the Eco? I still get a respectable 5.25-5.3 0-60, so it seems the car is performing as expected. The complete lack of chirp suprises me though (all stock, no tune, brand new tires).

I am hitting a track rental this weekend with a re-match against a pesky SRT8 Jeep. He will probably want to line up as soon as they let us so I wont have time to play with the foot brake.

How many RPMs do you guys run up foot braking? Dont want to roll through my brakes but want to have the turbos as close to spooling as possible.

My car seems to launch best around 1800 rpm. However seat time is the only thing that's gonna work for you

A somewhat related question' date=' sort of: From a stop, no brake standing, when I simply take my foot off the brake and mash the gas to the floor, I don't get any chirp. Even with AWD, that surprises me. Is this normal for the Eco? I still get a respectable 5.25-5.3 0-60, so it seems the car is performing as expected. The complete lack of chirp suprises me though (all stock, no tune, brand new tires).[/quote']

That's completely normal, especially with the traction control on. I don't think my car chirped before a tune....but it had 400 miles on it when it was tuned so it didn't give me much time..lol

Thanks for all the replies - I love this forum. I am going to try raising the tach to 1800/2000 and see what happens. :) I am guessing my 0-60 time should improve a smidge, maybe to 5.2 (versus 5.25-5.3) with the turbos spooling from the start. How much faster, stock, is the SHO compared to the MKS? I seem to recall about .2 faster 0-60. Sound right? Which begs the question, what the heck kind of crazy 0-60 times are you all getting with tunes? Man I love these cars.

Most people have no clue of 1/4 mile times but 0-60, everybody knows that... Even my mom has an idea lol!

When stock, launching at around 2000 rpm, I was at 5.0 sec. Then stage 3 brought it down to 4.5. Stage 4 to 4.2. Stage 4+ to 4.0... And now with meth at around 3.8-3.9... Once better tuned at Livernois, I believe 3.75 sec would be fair to assume. Note that HR springs helps a bit in launching. With stage 3 I also had the Airaid, then I had the exhaust done when I switched to stage 4.

Good tires also helps... Last thing, my 0-60 times are based on runs at the drags, so they include a 1 foot rollout good for a tenth or two...

Enjoy your ride and keep us informed on your progress... I love stats! Lol

I will launch in out in the country a couple times before this weekend 1800-2000. I tried it once a week ago and got wheel spin with TC on. At the track I will run with TC off so it doesnt go nuts.

Personally... I leave the TC on at the track... I get a little bit of spin and the TC light flashes a couple of times, BUT i'm still pulling 1.9x 60'. I just like the idea of the TC helping me stay safe, just in case the tires REALLY break loose...

Personally... I leave the TC on at the track... I get a little bit of spin and the TC light flashes a couple of times' date=' BUT i'm still pulling 1.9x 60'. I just like the idea of the TC helping me stay safe, just in case the tires REALLY break loose...[/quote']

From my experience, T/C on and T/C off doesn't make much difference if you can't completely delete it like the PP SHO can. My first ever time at the track, the best runs were all with T/C on. Once I got my Methanol system tuned in, neither would work on cool nights, with system shutting down due to too much spinning at front, even with T/C on, and starts at around 1,400 RPM. With Nitto DR's on Front, I got the best runs with T/C off, the only time I used them. (2- high 12's with temps in low 70's & my infamous Flex beats 2012 GS Vette video))

Flex is semi-retired until Scrming beats me!

Most people have no clue of 1/4 mile times but 0-60, everybody knows that... Even my mom has an idea lol!

When stock, launching at around 2000 rpm, I was at 5.0 sec. Then stage 3 brought it down to 4.5. Stage 4 to 4.2. Stage 4+ to 4.0... And now with meth at around 3.8-3.9... Once better tuned at Livernois, I believe 3.75 sec would be fair to assume. Note that HR springs helps a bit in launching. With stage 3 I also had the Airaid, then I had the exhaust done when I switched to stage 4.

Good tires also helps... Last thing, my 0-60 times are based on runs at the drags, so they include a 1 foot rollout good for a tenth or two...

Enjoy your ride and keep us informed on your progress... I love stats! Lol

How do you know anything at all about 0-60 MPH, or even a 1/4 mile??? Arent you on the metric system? Just kidding. There is an aussie on one of my stang boards he said the 0-60, 1/8 and 1/4 are pretty well known around the car community.

If the springs helped your 0-60 they would help my 1/4. I am also curious about the meth injections that seems to be getting popular. How fast do you consume it? Do you leave the tune for it in all the time or do you shut the meth off and go to a different tune?

How do you know anything at all about 0-60 MPH, or even a 1/4 mile??? Arent you on the metric system? Just kidding. There is an aussie on one of my stang boards he said the 0-60, 1/8 and 1/4 are pretty well know around the car community.

If the springs helped your 0-60 they would help my 1/4. I am also curious about the meth injections that seems to be getting popular. How fast do you consume it? Do you leave the tune for it in all the time or do you shut the meth off and go to a different tune?

You'll get varied answers on the consumption, that's for sure. Some of these guys claim to go thru 5 gallons a week! Lol. I've had the methanol on for over a year now and I just opened my 3rd 5 gallon drum. This is including the first one that they used for tuning. My car is the only one that was dyno tuned with the system in place, not sure if that's the difference.

It's on all the time...my particular system, the LMS/AlkyControl system is progressive and starts I believe right around 8 pounds of boost and ramps up as boost increases. I can't believe the other couple guys drive their cars any harder then I do so I can't complain the increased use. It's around 43 bucks for 5 gallons of VP M1 which is what I run and run 100% methanol. There are other theories of mixtures with water and there are some premixed concoctions available as well. When I was going back and forth with Julio (owner of AlkyControl) to put the kit together last year he said he's had the best results with straight methanol so that's what I've went with.

You'll get varied answers on the consumption, that's for sure. Some of these guys claim to go thru 5 gallons a week! Lol. I've had the methanol on for over a year now and I just opened my 3rd 5 gallon drum. This is including the first one that they used for tuning. My car is the only one that was dyno tuned with the system in place, not sure if that's the difference.

It's on all the time...my particular system, the LMS/AlkyControl system is progressive and starts I believe right around 8 pounds of boost and ramps up as boost increases. I can't believe the other couple guys drive their cars any harder then I do so I can't complain the increased use. It's around 43 bucks for 5 gallons of VP M1 which is what I run and run 100% methanol. There are other theories of mixtures with water and there are some premixed concoctions available as well. When I was going back and forth with Julio (owner of AlkyControl) to put the kit together last year he said he's had the best results with straight methanol so that's what I've went with.

$43 for 5 gallons isnt bad, but even once a month would be costly. Do you DD your SHO? Winter? Mine has to be my daily driver at least until she is paid off. On nice days I can drive the Mustang, but that is only until fall and only a few days a month.

I would drive up to Livernois to tune it. They are about 5 hours north of me so it isnt real close, but very doable.

Yeah...it's my daily driver. Winter, summer, spring and fall. Close to 40,000 miles and I believe still the quickest 12.13@117. I've only went thru 3 in a year or one every 4 months...so about 10 bucks a month. Use a lot less during the winter months

To get to 8 PSI Boost' date=' you have to get on it pretty hard (Monitored with my DashHawk, and noting when spray light goes on. I found I used very little methanol unless I was at the strip.[/quote']

I will try and get a vid just for you :) The group going I am going to the track with has a G8 in it. He claims to run solid 12s so in my current trim he will spank but I am going to run him.

Yeah now that I spent a fortune on my Coyote swap I still like the SHO better and may end up tracking it more. All tracks are a drive and I dont have a trailer. My Cobra is awesome but it is not the greatest road trip car, SHO is the greatest road trip car however.

Wish I would have done springs before this weekend, Oh well. I will look at the meth injection probably as a winter install with a later winter/ spring trip to Livernois for tuning.

Archived