Ecoboost Owner Forums

Engine Oil Weight

I was a lifelong motor craft oil filter user for the past 25years until I read a quality comparison between Ford filter vs Mobil-1 filters then after an in person comparison it was a no brainer the Mobil filter despite being pricey seems to be of a better quality.

I don't think the Motorcraft is a bad filter, but I really like the Mobil One filters, I use it on our Explorer. I believe the Mobil One, K&N, and Royal Purple oil filters are all made by the same manufacturer. Can't remember the name, but it's amazing how much heavier these filters are compared to most other. Not sure if this is because the inside is better quality or the casing is heavier.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't really found anything that was very useful at Bob The Oil Guy's site. Mostly opinions when I gave the Forum a quick glance, and the only study I've seen from him was done years and years ago...I believe in the early 2000's perhaps earlier, so I am not wild about Bob...not that I have anything against him...just haven't found it helpful (for me). However, I did receive my sample kit from Blackstone Labs and I am going to send in a sample when I do next oil change, I'm hoping that will give me more info that I will find useful.

When I took my car in for the first free oil change I drove off and could "feel" something was amiss. I happened to glance at the oil change sticker and they had put in 5/20. I returned to service and they pulled the car in and changed to synthetic 5/30 and ahhhh the car felt great again. So much smoother. 5000 miles later I changed to the Rotella 5/40 and everything was peachy keen. Last week changed the oil again but this time I used 5/30 conventional Motorcraft and the engine isn't as smooth. I can definitely say that the thicker oil quiets down the valve train and just feels more fluid than the other oils. I'll be changing my oil next week once I turn at least 300 miles on this last oil change to get some miles out of it. Rotella T6 is so far my favorite. Maybe I'll try 5/40 in Mobil 1 or Royal Purple just to give them a try. Just my .02

Archived