Ecoboost Owner Forums

New TSW Staggered Wheel Set Up (06/07/12) Pics.....

Wow, looks beautiful!! Can you get a side shot?

Also, what size are the rims and what offsets are you running?

Tires?

Any rubbing or clearance issues?

Very, very nice!

No clearance issues experienced thus far. I took it easy at 1st (leaving the install shop) due to the fact that I had the four (4) OEM 20" wheels, along with two (2) of the OEM Michelin Primacy's spread out amongst the trunk and back seat.

Not to mention my 11 year old was with me.

But nothing on the way home.

I then raced out to my car club's shop to pick up a vinyl decal for the rear windshield as I need that for next week's major outdoor car show event here in Chi-Town.

Anyhow, I was on her hard on the Expressway, no issues. Pleasantly :thumb:

As far as the set up goes:

20x8.5's up front, and wrapped in 255/45 ZR 20's (Continental Extreme Contact DWS's) and the rim's at a 40mm Offset.

20x10's in the rear, and wrapped in 275/40 ZR 20's (Continental Extreme Contact DWS's) and again, the rim's at a 40mm Offset.

Knew it would look GRRR8! But... think it turned out even better than I expected. It would make a really kick ass undercover vehicle......

Any rubbing issues under WOT?

I'll reiterate what I expressed above..... after I dropped the kid off and ditched all the OEM wheels and tires out of the interior compartment, I raced off to my car club (about 15 min away) and I WOT'd her on several occassions, and never once experienced any rubbing.

Thankfully too! EBB your calculations were spot on bro! :thumb:

Appreciate the assistance.

I'm loving the new set up thus far and can't wait to log in some more miles with her now that it's all installed.

I really REALLY love how the rear wheels fill that well, not only from the side perspective, but glance at that ass end shot again, the amount of rubber resting on the pavement looks down right menacing..... muahahahahahahaha!

Thanks to all the others for the kind words and compliments on the latest transformations to my SHO! :hail:

Y'all inspire me as much as you profess that I've inspired you..... thank you, thank you, thank you :yo:

Never really checked out the rear view, NICE, it looks great with the wide stance and all the rubber on the road. Just wondering if you are going to get more road grime on the rear quarter due to the extra width of the tires. Have to let us know after you get a few more miles on the new set-up. But even if it means a little more detailing the new look is AWESOME!:thumb::thumb:

Very nice Mike, very sharp! So I assume the diameter of the tires where the same from the front to the rear? I know we've touch on the subject before, and I know some tire brands diameter change on different tire widths. And I have where all wheel drive guys have a blowout and are told the must replace all tires. I am just trying to learn, I am assuming continental tires stay true to form width changes?

Oh that's a good one...rear wheel drive SHO, and that would be easy to sell that story, I bet you could get a bunch of takers....Heck, I have yet to have anyone question the 14 inch scar on my right leg/knee that was caused by a grey reef shark, while filming sharks off the coast of Costa Rica!

I'm compelled to share with you guys/gals that while driving around today, running my various errands and what not.....

I've had an odd, almost weird occurrence that has repeated itself literally all day long..... :gossip:

No joke, literally like 90% of the motoring public has been staring, double taking, goose necking at the SHO since the new wheel set up has been installed.

All age demographics, cars, bikers, truckers, you name it...... :crazy:

Bwahahahahahaha! It's been downright entertaining to say the least

:jaw:

• 6 months later...

All these pics are making my brain hurt. Now I am trying to imagine my rims in a 20" setup. DECISIONS DECISIONS! Lookin damn good. How much wider could those back tires go? Maybe you could take a look for me. According to my calculations (pushes glasses up) 285/30 22 on 22x10.5 with a 42mm back spacing should be 7mm (0.3in) closer on the inside. They are even less tall/sticking outward so that isnt an issue. I do plan to drop it down on H&R's also. And were you able to find out any info during your research for a staggered setup if our AWD could handle a slight diameter difference from front to back? I have seen a few audi's/Jeep SRT8's/Chevy SS with around a 2% difference.

All these pics are making my brain hurt. Now I am trying to imagine my rims in a 20" setup. DECISIONS DECISIONS! Lookin damn good. How much wider could those back tires go? Maybe you could take a look for me. According to my calculations (pushes glasses up) 285/30 22 on 22x10.5 with a 42mm back spacing should be 7mm (0.3in) closer on the inside. They are even less tall/sticking outward so that isnt an issue. I do plan to drop it down on H&R's also. And were you able to find out any info during your research for a staggered setup if our AWD could handle a slight diameter difference from front to back? I have seen a few audi's/Jeep SRT8's/Chevy SS with around a 2% difference.

Even if it can handle the difference to start, won't that effectively lower the threshold for uneven tire wear causing AWD issues?

Check post #9 in this thread for what I ran in this set up.

No issues whatsoever so far to speak of.......

I think I have approx 7-8K's worth of mileage now on these.

That includes track time, drag time, extended highway miles, and around town/city miles.

Not sure on that proposed 42mm offset with 10.5 inchers..... might be tight.

I personally wouldn't run anything greater than a 9" wide rim up front.

Archived