Ecoboost Owner Forums

tunings/tuners

casperl878

hey guys, is there anyone out there familar with the tuner by tunings my james? i know alot of you guys have suggested and said talk to rick at Livernois Motorsports and that all good reviews and not 1 bad reviews or bad thing, but just curious about this place, anyone get there tune from tuning by james or know someone or here anything good or bad from there? thanks guys for your help

anthony

I believe I have heard of him via the G8 Forums, but know nothing about him. I have first hand experience with both Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning and Livernois. Both are great. Because Torrie has worked with me on tuning with W/M system & more, I have a closer relationship with him, but both basic canned (internet ready) tune packages from either are first rate and provide similar tuning levels.

so you have never used tunings by james at all ever? but do you know someone who has use him and how did it work out? or since im new on this forums i wouldn of seen in the past if pepole did say they used him or didnt use him or if they heard good things about him or bad things about it??? thanks guys and i hope to get a lil bit more info out of u guys to help me out on this decision, well appreciated

anthony

I never heard of him or ever saw anyone ever refer to him either here or on any other of the forums I have visited. With all the success and high praise that EVERYONE piles on Livernois, me included, this is a no brainer....buy from a guy that no one has used or heard of or from someone who has proven to be successful and whose products everyone is just tickled to death to have and use. Both Livernois and Torrie have great reputations here and have proven themselves over and over...this isn't a hard decision.

never heard of him Casper, to my knowledge I am only aware of 3 companies that do ecoboost tuning, LMS, Unleashed, and Henessey. But try to forget I even mention that last one. But as other have said about LMS and Unleashed, both great companies active members here in our community. I have ran LMS tune in my car for a little over a year now, have met and spoke with Dan Milan at LMS on multiple occasions and when he tunes these car he is very conservative and stays well with in safe boundaries. Because there more at here then you cars well being, his companies reputation as well. Its commendable that you are doing your home work, but to me and many others its a no brainer. perhaps with the mods can set up a poll on this site to see how are running what.

Hennessey uses the SCT tuner.

There are others doing tunes. Beefcake, when he had his SHO, switched from Torrie to a local SW Ohio area tuner. If you have this James guy tuning your vehicle in person on a dyno, you probably would be OK. However, if you are buying an internet "universal canned" tune package, the cost differential between Livernoi, Torrie, and others isn't worth the risk. Go with proven tuners products.

This guy? http://tuningbyjames.com/ECOBOOST.html

His gains look like what guys are getting from my tune (Livernois 4+++). That said I am 100% for Livernois. When these first came out some guys blew up from bad tuning. Livernois has hundreds of Ecoboost cars running with not a single engine failure.

Same issue with the Coyote, lots of "#8" cylinder failures from bad tunes. I was very cautious in getting both my cars tuned cause I dont want to be another failure..

well he has a sct and the itsx tuner and said it can be down with my iphone wireless, he sayd about 70 hp roughly for the aggressive street mode and is around 700.00ish price, just curious if anyone has worked or got one before from him, i been emailing alot with him the past months cause im just trien to look into these tunes alot, but sounds like everyone keeps saying the same place livernois so it seems like a no brainer,

well he has a sct and the itsx tuner and said it can be down with my iphone wireless' date=' he sayd about 70 hp roughly for the aggressive street mode and is around 700.00ish price, just curious if anyone has worked or got one before from him, i been emailing alot with him the past months cause im just trien to look into these tunes alot, but sounds like everyone keeps saying the same place livernois so it seems like a no brainer,[/quote']

Like I said I play it safe with tunes, to many horror stories. I with Livernois cause everybody got solid gains and nobody blew their stuff up.

Like I said I play it safe with tunes' date=' to many horror stories. I with Livernois cause everybody got solid gains and nobody blew their stuff up.[/quote']

Very true Paul. As a matter fact I had a guy ask me the other day ask me about if I heard of anyone melting holes in there pistons. I told I have never seen or heard of anyone having done this on the forums I go on, but apparently he had read horror stories on SVT forum of this. Just food for thought.

Wow! this thread has grown! Sorry for my late reply. I obviously prefer Livernois for my tuning, and I'll give a little history to why that is and comment a little on the rest of this thread as well.

When I first purchased my car, there werent very many people doing anything with the Ecoboost. Torrie (from Unleashed) was was really the only one I had heard anything about. He was at the time, tuning his car and was tuning Beefcakes car as well. I went back and forth via email with Torrie and I can tell you this...the guy is amazing at returning emails, customer service, etc. I was close to pulling the trigger on using Unleashed, and then Beefcake ran his 12...using a tune from Modular Depot. He then kinda bashed Torrie a little, and I realized later, without great reason, but as a newbie Ecoboost owner I was hesitant. I decided out of the blue to give Livernois a call because they were local and had done some tuning on my Lightning. I like using local tuners because its a little easier to hold them accountable honestly. They said they wanted to get their hands on one....and the rest is history. This was with 400 miles on the odometer and before their AWD dyno was installed. They've provided me with outstanding customer service and Dan was very dedicated in trying to perfect the tuning while keeping it safe. They've afforded me opportunities I might not have had without them and I've gained some great friends. They've tuned a great deal of cars without many if any complaints and no failures. My car now has 40,000 hard driven miles and is to my knowledge the quickest and fastest in a 1/4 mile with a best of 12.13 at 117. Tuners can make dynos show pretty much any numbers they want...keep that in mind. Real numbers are shown on the street/track.

Haven't heard much about James, I believe he used to be an employee of SCT, I've seen the video, but havent really heard of anyone using a tune of his...if he's local to you....I would say maybe give him a call.

Torrie's done alot of tuning, and probably, honestly has the most experience with the platform....even to the extent that he know's what goes wrong and when. I have nothing bad to say about Unleashed, I run his radiator/t-stat and now his aux trans cooler package that he has put together.

Fastlane Turbo in Texas has Ecoboost tuning, but again, dont really know anyone that has run their tune.

Hennessey has a tune, I'm pretty sure they blew up their car, but I'm not sure under what circumstances.

Modular Depot has tuning, not sure if they've done much after Beefcakes car..havent really heard anything from them since that pass.

So there are options out there....IMHO Livernois or Unleashed Tuning has done the most for the community....but these are my thoughts, not yours.

Hope this is helpful

Before I found any of the Ecoboost related forums I discovered James. I think at the time he just left SCT and my local tuner had recommended him. My local tuner had no experience with Ecoboost motors, and I wasn't convinced that James did either. I then discovered some of the Ecoboost related forums that won't be mentioned here and subsequently I heard about Unleashed and Livernois. And eventually obtained tuns from both of them. And no, I don't have a favorite, I swap between Torrie's high boast tune and Livernois' 4+ regularly, which reminds me, it's time to flip them again.

Darreli pretty much said it all.... Torrie and Livernois are your best bets, and won't cost you any more money.

Torrie has spent a great deal of time working with me on my Flex, and recently with my G8 GT. He is amazing in his response time 7 days a week, though Livernois is also great, during business hours. Torrie currently also owns Fast Parts Network. He travels around the country tuning groups of customer cars like Vipers, & Ford GTs. I started with Torrie, as from the info I had at the time (March 2010) he the only one doing canned EB tuning. After Ben got Livernois tunes to go with Torries, I too had to check them out.

In daily and long distance driving (haven't tested Livernois tunes in the 1/4 mi) both tuners canned tunes seem to respond similarly and are completely trouble free in my Flex.

The best situation if you are trying to get the absolute most out of your vehicle, would be for you to have your vehicle dyno tuned by either Livernois or Torrie, either in person or remotely (less desirable due to logistics and time, but possible). Every vehicle is a little different, and responds to tunes accordingly, so a canned tune has to be made safe enough for most all situations.

When Torrie and I were working on his W/M system for my Flex, he would send me a tune, I would log it under WOT conditions, send him the log(s), and he would revise the tune, and we would repeat the proceedure until he felt he had obtained the most performance available safely. And that's how I got my 12.9!

Tuning is fairly easy and with the customer service offered by our sponsors, Livernois and Unleashed, it is really something you can do on your own, most of us have installed the tune we are running because only a few of us are close to the tuners.

Archived