Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 leather states

I can't believe how great the interior on my 2013 is and I obviously want to keep it that way. Does anyone recommend using leather cleaners and/or conditioners this soon? I've never owned brand new leather car seats before.

Fyi, mine are not the suede seats, all black leather.

Thanks in advance, I know I'll get some great info!

I typically use leather conditioners on seats. New, or not, doesn't matter.

Helps keep the leather pliable. I'll usually apply it when I know the car will have several hours of down time, to assure it soaking into the actual leather.

Any name brand product out there I'm sure will work just fine.

For what it worth I advise much caution with vinyl and leather conditioning products. After many years in the auto trim field I may at least have more experience than most guys. If you read the care and conditioning instructions packaged with "Katzkin" a top provider of after market leather kits, they usually advise wiping down with damp cloth with very mild soap and water. Most people are just dying to do much much more. Danger signs to look for are softeners and emollients which are often buzz words for oils. Oils added to upholstery do the opposite. They speed the natural aging process. If you just have to smooth something on your upholstery to make yourself feel good, read the label and refuse to apply anything that has any kind of oil. That includes anything called petroleum products.

Years ago I did a leather kit on my brothers beloved SUV. He was anal about grooming his interior and regularly used a Canadian leather preservative product on his seats. The next time I saw his car was about one year later and his leather looked and felt about 10 or 15 years old. I took his case to the leather company and got a replacement kit for a reduced price even though the 3 year warrantee was voided by his well meaning maintenance. We wound up replacing the kit. In the same category is "Armorall" .... at least the old formulations. That stuff has prematurely aged more vinyl than you can ever imagine.

None ...I repeat none of what I said above applies to the 303 line of products. That stuff is great and I have used it myself for many years. It is based on sun screening for your upholstery.

Contact with sun tan oils, body oils, gasoline, kerosene, mink oil and any other kind of oil with your vinyl/leather seats should be reduced to an absolute minimum. Reduce sun exposure as much as possible and keep interior car temps as cool as reasonably possible to further lengthen the life of your interior. IMHO. Good luck and happy detailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Larry, if Katzkin says just wipe with a damp cloth using mild soap and water...that's good enough for me. They make great leather products...really impressed with them. I was going to get them in my 98 F-150 as the stock leather wore out, but ended up with Roush Leather kit, that I got for $150.00! It was nice leather but it was discontinued and the dealer wanted to move them, so I couldn't pass up the deal!

Well you can try to make the best of things. For instance as ugly as those windshield reflective panels are they in theory might be helpful in keeping temps down. Popping up the sunroof if it's not supposed to rain helps to keep interiors cooler. Minimizing all oil contact can help. You can come up with some better ideas I'm sure once you know what you are trying to accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived