Ecoboost Owner Forums

Has anyone run across this OBD code?

I had this code pop up twice, but it not long enough to make the MIL illuminate, P0012- Bank 1.

I was accelerating yesterday from a stop and the car fell flat on its face in 4th (i think). I tried to reproduce it and had no luck. When I got I figured I would see if there was and code stored in ECM, and that was the the code. The car has 1k and it is going back to Ford to fix paint and a Air Bag, and I will have them look this also, but I am curiuos and like to know what is going on with the car.

So any input or suggestion are welcome.

I would have them check the wires to the knock sensor to make sure they are not rubbing and getting chaffed. This is a problem we are well aware of here and several have discovered it, however, Ford is NOT aware of the problem and there is no bulletin on it, so you my have to be a bit forceful to get the service manager to actually look at it. But as far as the actually code, I do not remember seeing anyone having it before...doesn't mean that they haven't just that I don't recall it. Sure hope you get it resolved and you have no further problems.

P0012 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

OBD-II DTC Trouble Code Description

"A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

What does that mean?

A code P0012 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM). That consists of a few different components but the P0012 DTC specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is over-retarded, the engine light will be illluminated and the code will be set. The "A" camshaft is either the intake, left, or front camshaft.

Potential Symptoms

Most likely a P0012 DTC will result in one of the following:

hard starting

poor idle and/or

stalling

There are potentially other symptoms as well. Of course, when trouble codes are set, the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp, a.k.a. the check engine light) illuminates.

Causes

A P0012 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

Incorrect camshaft timing

Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system

Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber

Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

Possible Solutions

The main thing to check is to verify the operation of the VCT solenoid. You're looking for a sticking or stuck VCt solenoid valve caused by contamination. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit. Notes: Dealer techs have advanced tools and the ability to follow detailed troubleshooting steps, including the ability to test components using a scan tool.

My guess its probably a bad VCT solenoid, base on the failure of my wives 09 escape. Seems to be a fairly common problem and there is a TSB out there at least for her model. Oh and another thing I noticed when hers failed the performance went out the window also long before codes started to appear, which makes me wonder about others that complain of performance issues.

Archived