Ecoboost Owner Forums

Taking the SHO-boat out sailing. SHO's first AutoX

Since buying the car i was wondering if i was going to be able to autocross it because of the weight. I'm happy to say that even with non PP suspension and only max performance tires the show did really well. The course was fast course with a couple technical parts. The car did a great job. I put the car in manual mode and once i got two 2nd gear that was fine for the rest of the course. Turbo lag was not a problem, and the awd system did a great job of keeping the car from massive understeer. I could easily tap the brakes and get the back end to come around when needed. It was back and forth with my and someone else in a much lighter car for first place in my class, but in the end he beat me by almost a second. I plan on upgrading to the '13 PP springs and shocks. I also will be looking into swapping out the swaybar bushings for poly ureathane. Here are the pix from the event. I'll have the video up later.

101_3638.jpg

IMAG0661.jpg

IMAG0662.jpg

IMAG0670.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

55.jpg

66.jpg

77.jpg

Yes i was running stock brake hardware, for now. I had to brake fade or fluid boiling so i was constant all day. I will be getting new rotors and getting EBC Yellowstuff brakes in addition to the suspension components. If nothing else it shows the SHO can do more than just tear up a drag strip.

Very nice! What was the other car you were competing with? Did you get any video?
Main rival was a early 90's Plymoth Duster(sundance) with a 3.0v6, 2600lbs & on DOT slick tires. That car has always been a monster in GS hear because of the light weight.

Nice job! I too have wondered how the SHO would fair in Auto-X or on a road course. I live just a few miles away from Summit Point here in WV' date=' which has a few excellent technical road courses.[/quote']

For a road course i would make sure to do something with the braking system so you don't over cook the brakes. I'm keeping the stock brakes size so i can get better brake pad material(EBC Yellowstuff or Hawk LTS)

For a road course i would make sure to do something with the braking system so you don't over cook the brakes. I'm keeping the stock brakes size so i can get better brake pad material(EBC Yellowstuff or Hawk LTS)
racerx78 It's nice to see I'm not the SHO to run a SCCA AUTO-CROSS. This was me and my 18yr youngest little girl 1st auto-X and the car still had the dealer tag on the car. [ATTACH=CONFIG]675[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]676[/ATTACH] http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPoDZVFP-WQ

post-237-142532287421_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532287424_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532287427_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532287421_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532287424_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532287427_thumb.jpg

That is awesome' date=' how did you do? I am in Ohio so i'm apart of the OVR-SCCA club. I'm excited for the next event. We have a double header weekend coming up next month. I hope to have my Tranny cooler, suspension and brakes setup by then.[/quote'] I see that you were in the GS CLASS like me but if you add all the up grades what class will that put you in? Also we have to new sub classes GS RTR or GS RTA (RTR road tires RWD or RTA road tire AWD). Have your local add these sub class? I have stay in the shock class so a great car can make a bad driver look good. our best time was 57sec the other guys avg 54-56 sec. best time all weekend was 48sec. 57 sec not bad for a 1st timer and a 4200lb 4dr.

I see that you were in the GS CLASS like me but if you add all the up grades what class will that put you in? Also we have to new sub classes GS RTR or GS RTA (RTR road tires RWD or RTA road tire AWD). Have your local add these sub class? I have stay in the shock class so a great car can make a bad driver look good. our best time was 57sec the other guys avg 54-56 sec. best time all weekend was 48sec. 57 sec not bad for a 1st timer and a 4200lb 4dr.

I saw the new classes but for me i don't see a need to compete in them. I good in GS.

I am novice so I was running the tire pressure for factory setting.

When i ran i did 40 psi in my Pirelli P Zero's but they stickier tire than OEM.

I saw the new classes but for me i don't see a need to compete in them. I good in GS.

When i ran i did 40 psi in my Pirelli P Zero's but they stickier tire than OEM.

I have the goodyear f1 summer they are rated really stciky. I could not brake them loose but I have falken all season now and will chirp into 3rd gear. So why is the highter tire psi better for auto-x and is it true for dragracing to are less psi better for draging and does it may a drifferent for rwd vs awd?

• 2 months later...
That is awesome' date=' how did you do? I am in Ohio so i'm apart of the OVR-SCCA club. I'm excited for the next event. We have a double header weekend coming up next month. I hope to have my Tranny cooler, suspension and brakes setup by then.[/quote']

racerx78, did you do the brake upgrade yet? I am trying to decide which product to go with. I do not race, but definitely want to improve upon the stock setup.

I have the goodyear f1 summer they are rated really stciky. I could not brake them loose but I have falken all season now and will chirp into 3rd gear. So why is the highter tire psi better for auto-x and is it true for dragracing to are less psi better for draging and does it may a drifferent for rwd vs awd?

Way back when I used to Auto-X the higher tire pressures were to counter th rolling over of the tires sholder, or so I was told. I thought the loss of traction wouldn't be worth it, but I did as I was told (42 PSI). My straight line friends run lower than stock pressures.

As stated in AutoX the higher pressure can be used to reduce the tire rolling over on the sidewall. Also adjusting pressures F&R can help reduce under/oversteer on a car depending on what you want it to do. When i autoX my FWD MS3 i ran higher pressures in the rear lower in the front, to reduce understeer. For drag racing you want lower pressures since your not cornering and want the tire to be able to move around help it get traction. If you look at any top fuel dragster at launch, their tires twist on the rim. Partially due to the power partially due to the lower pressure.

racerx78' date=' did you do the brake upgrade yet? I am trying to decide which product to go with. I do not race, but definitely want to improve upon the stock setup.[/quote']

Not yet but i've price things out. I upgrading to the '13 PP calipers, rotors, booster and master cylinder next year. I want to get the SHO on a real road course next year.

Archived