Ecoboost Owner Forums

Window Tint

Alright, I have a question for you guys.

I want to get my windows tinted, but I'm not sure what I want to do. The legal limit here in Kansas is 35% all the way around. That doesn't seem very dark in my opinion, but I don't know what it'd look like on my car. It seems a ton of people have darker than 35 down here, so I kind of want to do a 20%.

First off. What do you guys have, or what would you recommend? 35%, 20%, something different? I had 20% on my last car, but that was when I was in Iowa and I just had the rear windshield and back windows done with none on the front windows.

Is it easy to find a quality place that will put on darker than legal tint? The place I called today said they only do up to 35%. Would they budge on that, or could I easily find a place that would do a good job, install a good brand, and do darker than 35?

Do any of you have darker than legal tint right now, and have you had any problems with police or anything?

Sorry for all the questions, but I was hoping this would be an easier decision. For some reason I had it in my head that I could go darker than 35% down here.

Thanks

hello,35% IS A very light light tint, the new and most common is the 3m tint/film, and i live in ny and its the same law about 30 or 35% but i have the lowest tint % which you can get with 3m tint which isnt or close to 20-25% i would say, and i have that and have had no issues, but of course if i c a cop next to me etc. u play it smart and roll it down or half way down at least, thats what i do and i dont give them a reason to pull me over and then to look at my tints, and i also have a black car, so i think your good and dont worry about it, just get what you like,

anthony

I want to get my windows tinted, but I'm not sure what I want to do. The legal limit here in Kansas is 35% all the way around. That doesn't seem very dark in my opinion, but I don't know what it'd look like on my car. It seems a ton of people have darker than 35 down here, so I kind of want to do a 20%.

First off. What do you guys have, or what would you recommend? 35%, 20%, something different? I had 20% on my last car, but that was when I was in Iowa and I just had the rear windshield and back windows done with none on the front windows.

Is it easy to find a quality place that will put on darker than legal tint? The place I called today said they only do up to 35%. Would they budge on that, or could I easily find a place that would do a good job, install a good brand, and do darker than 35?

Do any of you have darker than legal tint right now, and have you had any problems with police or anything?

Sorry for all the questions, but I was hoping this would be an easier decision. For some reason I had it in my head that I could go darker than 35% down here.

Thanks

You should try living in Minnesota...the law is no darker than 50% (Which is even lighter than 35%). Used to not be a problem as the shop would install whatever you wanted but now they made it a misdemeanor for the shop to even install it so you can't get it done. I had 35% on my previous car and no one ever bothered me for tint, but I hear they are enforcing the law now. What I don't get is why 35% is a problem here as every single SUV and Truck on the road (and that is the majority of vehicles here) can run around with factory tint on the back windows that is darker. I believe they state it is a safety issue for Law Enforcement and I'm all for that if it is really a problem but then why is the factory tint "legal"? The other downside would be that you could get legally pulled over and they could check for "other" things (how many beers DID you just drink?). Although that is easily avoided - don't do anything illegal. :)

Mike - care to share any light on this? :mod:

I definitely don't plan on doing anything illegal (maybe speeding) so I'm not too worried about them pulling me over and finding something to give me a ticket for. I just don't want to have to worry about getting pulled over and paying a fine for having windows tinted too dark or something (which I've only heard of happening once and that was back home).

I don't mind getting the 35%, but I just don't want to get it and then hate it or not even notice it because it's so light. Maybe that won't be the case, and since I have a white car maybe it'll look darker on mine than it would on a black car?

Is 35% darker than I'm giving it credit for, or is it barely noticable?

Just remember that the percentages are backward when it comes to window tint. They are measuring light transmission so 20% is darker than 35% which is darker than 50%. 35% is acceptably dark to me but I like to be able to see at night too. :) I had a camaro that had either 5 or 10% on it (bought it that way) and it lasted a week before I got a ticket in Ohio back in the day. It really depends on your local law enforcement. Down south tint is more common since the sun is a bigger deal.

I have 20% on the ENTIRE front windshield.

5% (Limo) Tint everywhere else.

This is darker than what the law normally allows in ILLINOIS, however, I qualify for (and have) the State Issued "Window Tint" plates, which allows for as dark as you want, where ever you want type of thing.

So, umm yea......

I like it, cuz it's dark as sh!t all the way around, and it almost appears as if it's a concept car due to the ENTIRE front windshield being tinted as well.

Police never give me no trouble, when stopped I put down all windows turn on interior light and keep my hands on the wheel. Being CPL holder I want them to feel as comfortable a possible, not that I have had exercise this much but when I did I was only given a warning to slow it down.

just my opinion but i think 50%would be a waste as it is very little and 30-35% is the lightest i would go if your that worried,but in ny its the same thing and i have i believe 20% and its dark enough, sounds like personally i dont think you'd be happy with 35 if you want a completely different look and noticable, if you only want a slight difference and dont mind a huge difference then 35 is cool, but i would go with 20, good luck buddy,

anthony

I definitely don't plan on doing anything illegal (maybe speeding) so I'm not too worried about them pulling me over and finding something to give me a ticket for. I just don't want to have to worry about getting pulled over and paying a fine for having windows tinted too dark or something (which I've only heard of happening once and that was back home).

I don't mind getting the 35%, but I just don't want to get it and then hate it or not even notice it because it's so light. Maybe that won't be the case, and since I have a white car maybe it'll look darker on mine than it would on a black car?

Is 35% darker than I'm giving it credit for, or is it barely noticable?

I think I'd like to go with 20. At least on the back. Does anyone know if a place will actually do lower than the legal limit. I'd be afraid to do it myself as I have never done it before, but one place I called said they won't go lower than 35. Anyone know if they'll cave and do 20 if I ask them to?

Thanks

What color is the car? I have 35% in the rear on mine (which is black) and it actually looks darker. 50% is legal for the front's in Ohio, and I didnt want a huge disparity between my front and back so I went 50-35%

I have 20% all around except the windshield which is 35%. I've only been pulled over once for tint and that was a couple weeks ago. Didnt get a ticket, but most of those tickets are dissmissable, you just have to strip the tint off. I originally thought I'd get harassed, especially over the windshield but I've been stopped a "few" times and no one has ever mentioned the tint until that stop a couple weeks ago.

Alright. So I made an appointment for tomorrow. I've decided that I'm at least getting 20% on the rear 3 windows, and either 20 or 35 on the front two. Any thoughts on what would look good.

Also, the brand they offer are 3M or LLumar ctx. She said the llumar has a slightly reflective look and costs $100 more. Anybody have experience with these 2 brands? What would you recommend?

I appreciate all of your help so far.

My car is white, and I used LLumar Axcess CTX 30% on the side and rear windows. I used Llumar Air Blue 80 on the windshield and sunroof. It is an all ceramic tint, does not interfere with electronics, and has fantastic heat and UV rejection. The attached link http://www.elitetint.com/Ceramic_Tint.html will tell you about the Llumar tint. I have also used 3M tint, but have no idea how it kept the heat and UV out. But they both looked good. The installs were good, and there were no problems with the tint (such as fading or color changing). Just make sure you buy the top of the line tint from whichever tint company you use.

Well, I dropped it off and got the windows tinted today. I decided to go with 3M instead of llumar, one reason was because they were out but I also wanted to save a hundred bucks. The 3m fx premium tint seems pretty good from what I read. I hope it lives up to what I read

I went with 20% all around and so far I really like. I think it'll take a little getting used to because I've never had tint on the front windows before. Anyway, here's a picture:

44668491-4fb1-9ed9.jpg

Archived