Ecoboost Owner Forums

I tried plasti dipping too...

When I was in Detroit, I bought 6 cans of Plasti Dip at 5.98$ at Home Depot. I figured I couldn't lose much trying it at that price and also that it can be peeled off very easily if I don't like the results. I washed the grille and the rear horizontal chrome bar (didn't feel like washing all the car)... Nevertheless, I should have waited longer for the water to dry out completely. There was still a bit of water hidden in the front grille and a few drops made the results not perfect... I will probably redo it in a few days/weeks. I think personally that the front looks good, gives it a bit sportier look. The back, not so sure... Either leave it chrome to go with tail lights or do taillights in black too. Maybe that second option is the one I will do when my taillights start flaking again... lol

Before:

IMG_1035.jpg

After:

IMG_0534.png

Before:

IMG_0030.jpg

After:

IMG_0521.jpg

Total project was 6$, taping took me 20 minutes and I gave 4-5 coats, 1 minute per coat and let dried between 20 and 30 minutes between coats.

Some drops resulted in three little area where plasti dip is not well stuck on the car and there is also some spots of uneven paint on the front grille. I thought I was using the proper technique as instructed and seen on youtube, but there is still some wave effect in the paint... But it still looks good.

Let me know what you think!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I already had posted this thread 10 days ago, but I guess it passed under the radar. I too enjoy the look but I don't like the finish. First it looks paler than the rest of the car and it is rubberish and when you dry it with microfiber clothe, it loses the fibers... really anoying. Also, I had washed the front grill and the transversal bar in the back (not the rest of the car, that's why those tips aren't shining), but it was apparently not completely dried. As a matter of fact, the littles wholes in the two front bars in the grille retained water and so did the Ford logo... When I sprayed the 4-5 coats, some drops of water came out of those wholes and logo and the paint didn't stick properly... Anyways, I love the look too and it was more a test to see if I liked it in black. I think the chromed grille looks more luxury and sleeper, but the black one makes it look sportier, whih is what I am looking for. When I saw Chris' car (crash712us), I loved the mobsteel with the SHO logo in the bottom right... But it would come close to 1,000$ and I'd prefer other mods instead with that money... That said, I am considering and will ask my Ford dealership for a quote to sandpaper the front grille, paint it in tuxedo black and clear coat generously... If the price is fair, I might go that route. That is the advantage of plasti dip, you can remove it and it doesn't damage under it... But I needed to see it in black first to be convinced and I am. Because once I decide to have it painted in tuxedo black, there is no turning back... and Mike (BPD1151) already sold his front grille... : )

Thanks again for the comments!

Steve

Thanks all. I already had posted this thread 10 days ago, but I guess it passed under the radar. I too enjoy the look but I don't like the finish. First it looks paler than the rest of the car and it is rubberish and when you dry it with microfiber clothe, it loses the fibers... really anoying. Also, I had washed the front grill and the transversal bar in the back (not the rest of the car, that's why those tips aren't shining), but it was apparently not completely dried. As a matter of fact, the littles wholes in the two front bars in the grille retained water and so did the Ford logo... When I sprayed the 4-5 coats, some drops of water came out of those wholes and logo and the paint didn't stick properly... Anyways, I love the look too and it was more a test to see if I liked it in black. I think the chromed grille looks more luxury and sleeper, but the black one makes it look sportier, whih is what I am looking for. When I saw Chris' car (crash712us), I loved the mobsteel with the SHO logo in the bottom right... But it would come close to 1,000$ and I'd prefer other mods instead with that money... That said, I am considering and will ask my Ford dealership for a quote to sandpaper the front grille, paint it in tuxedo black and clear coat generously... If the price is fair, I might go that route. That is the advantage of plasti dip, you can remove it and it doesn't damage under it... But I needed to see it in black first to be convinced and I am. Because once I decide to have it painted in tuxedo black, there is no turning back... and Mike (BPD1151) already sold his front grille... : )

Thanks again for the comments!

Steve

SickSHO10 bought Mike's grille. I think he is painting his white. I would shoot him a PM and see if he wants to get rid of his stock grille. I'm sure at one point we will all have parts of each others cars installed on our own lol.

Archived