Ecoboost Owner Forums

Question about keys

Hi all, yesterday we woke to find my work truck had been broken into in our driveway and my laptop bag along with other things had been stolen. Problem is in my laptop bag was a key to our 2010 Taurus SHO. We have one fob and because of the 4th no dealership is open. Can the old code be changed so the stolen key no longer works? If not I fear they will come back for the car next it is a push button start. any thought's

Thanks

I think as long as you have a fob you can change the code, but I don't think you can remove the factory code, so if they have a fob, the can always open the car with the finger swipe on the keypad, you don't even need a fob. If you are really concerned about the car being taken, I think I would disconnect the battery before heading to bed tonight, so it would take some time for someone to get the car started. It would be a pain to reprogram everything, but less of a pain then having the car stole.

You will most likely have to have filed a police report in order to turn it into insurance, and I don't think changing the code will do anything to eliminate the fob from working with the finger swipe, since it doesn't require entering a code.

You will most likely have to have filed a police report in order to turn it into insurance' date=' and I don't think changing the code will do anything to eliminate the fob from working with the finger swipe, since it doesn't require entering a code.[/quote']

My guess is that they can change the code and the fob would become inactive. I can't use my fob to open your door if it's in my pocket. On my Subaru I had someone steal the key and they had me bring in all my keys and they reprogrammed them so that one wouldn't work. But they will have the key inside the fob, you might think about rekeying.

Thanks all for your reply's, Called insurance have an 100 deductible for that an dealership says 150 so....it is basically re-keying the car 1 new fob and reprogramming. These low life people out their popped out my rear window on my truck and stole my computer bag my work keys and work radio. God what I would give for 10 min alone with them...

Archived