Ecoboost Owner Forums

External touch keypad

I've been having some inconsistent behavior from my keypad. Swiping motion works like a charm to unlock but the two finger on the bottom numbers to lock has been real iffy. With repeated attempts I can usually get it to lock but frustration often sets in. Dealer has replaced the pad with no improvement. Last time the dealer could not duplicate the problem. It is like 50 / 50 for me too so I'm not surprised. Any one else have any experience to share on this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, every Ford keypad I've see since the early '90's has locked by pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 simultaneously. I never had problems with the locking feature on the old membrane style, but I've also experienced iffy locking performance with the current touch sensitive style. What seems most reliable for me is the put the tip of my thumb on the 7/8, then roll my thumb to cover the 9/0 buttons. Generally the locks lock reliably this way. Trying a two-finger method works maybe 40% of the time for me.

-Rod

Hve found that using one finger-between first and second knuckles-works almost 100% Sort of make fist and keep index finger knuckle extended to contact 7/8..9/0. Key has to be in proximity-if i extend full arm with key in pocket it may not work. Easier than trying to get two fingers on simultaneously.

I use my thumb to hit the two buttons simultaneously.

As others have said, the 7/8 and 9/0 together lock the car. Not sure if anyone else knows these other tricks, but if you put in your code, followed by 3 will unlock all doors, and the code followed by 5 will unlock the trunk. I've surprised a lot of people like this in the past with my Fords, haha.

Thanks for all the great replies. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one to wrestle with this odd behavior. I tried the several finger placement methods suggested and Spooling's trick of the thumb covering both sets of numbers worked perfectly for me every time so that will be the new drill. Thanks again everybody.

Yeah, same here, sometimes 2 fingers work great to lock and sometimes I have to use the thumb and kinda roll over both numbers to get it to lock. Also don't forget that you can unlock the trunk by entering your code and then hitting the 5-6 button after the code and the trunk will unlock!

So far I've used the code only the one time I left the fob in the car and locked it. It was good to have the code. If I want to open the trunk, I feel it's easier and faster, for me anyway, to use the trunk button under the plate, or the fob, or the dash button depending on where I am or what I'm doing at the time.

So far I've used the code only the one time I left the fob in the car and locked it. It was good to have the code. If I want to open the trunk, I feel it's easier and faster, for me anyway, to use the trunk button under the plate, or the fob, or the dash button depending on where I am or what I'm doing at the time.

There have been several times when I wanted to get into the trunk and I didn't really need to get into the interior and I didn't have the fob with me, that's when I use the keypad.

Love that IA SHO.... but I wasn't kidding (like I normally do about everything) when I locked the car with my wash mitt. Luckily, I had the extra set of keys in the house... First thought they might be in FLA... And I have long forgotten my touch pad code... Never use it.

Love that IA SHO.... but I wasn't kidding (like I normally do about everything) when I locked the car with my wash mitt. Luckily' date=' I had the extra set of keys in the house... First thought they might be in FLA... And I have long forgotten my touch pad code... Never use it.[/quote']

Forgotten the code, I put in a code that I can't forget...but then again at your age EBB you might have that old-timer's thing going on!:dizzy:

^^ If the fob is on your body, yes. But, I like to leave the fob in the car if I am, for instance, going running at a park.

Not really a tip, but helps me remember better: Instead of remembering the "3" opens all doors, I remember that the "4" opens all "4" doors. Easier for me to remember that way. :)

My wife locked her fob in the car the other day and the car unlocked the doors and sounded the horn

I believe it only does that if the fob is in the trunk. Not positive though. I lock my car almost everyday with the pad with the fob inside the center cupholder area.

If you leave the keys anywhere in the car and lock the doors with the lock button inside, it will do that. I guess it's a way of saying "hey, forgetting something?" However, if you leave the keys in the car, and lock it with the 7/8-9/0 button combo, it will lock.

^^ You are right. But, if you leave the keys in the trunk and try to close the trunk, I seem to recall it doing the same thing - beeps twice and you need to slam the trunk a second time, as it does not lock the first time.

^^ I remember being really annoyed by it because I bought an extra fob and programmed it, and then left it in my trunk until I had time and I could bring the blank uncut "emergency" key inside to a key shop to cut it. For like 3 days, the trunk yelled (beeped twice) at me and wouldn't lock on the first slam. LOL.

I have to credit my wife with this, she made the dealer throw a 3rd fob in with the car purchase, so we have 3 for the SHO. It they programmed it during an oil change visit at no charge, so we have the fob covered, only problem I have had was a few times the car failed to recognize the fob was in my pocket so I had to lay it on the seat before the car would start.

Archived