Ecoboost Owner Forums

Top Speed?

Yes and no...

If I take my car for example, I finish the 1/8 mile at about 90 mph and the 1/4 at about 113mph... But, I complete the first half in 8 seconds and the second half in 4.x seconds (1/4 mile in 12.x sec.). So, my point is that yes it is harder to accelerate in the second portion of the 1/4 mile, but there is also about half the time less in that second portion. So, my car does 0-90mph in 8.0 seconds and 90-113mph in 4.5 seconds. Actually, it does 90-125mph in 8.0 seconds.

So, it is not just a matter of distance, but also of time. It is normal that if you take half the time to do the second half of the 1/4 mile that your car cannot replicate the acceleration of the first half. But with the same 8.0 seconds, I only manage to add an extra 35mph instead of 90mph... there is that air hitting the car making it hard to reach high speeds.

Steve, after re-reading this post, I really don't think you can infer that because you go from 0-90 in 8 seconds that you will be at 125 in another 8 seconds. As speed increases and the resistance increases more power is taken to keep the vehicle moving forward hence it will take longer to increase speed as those speeds get into the higher 3 digit range. You can see this with any of the nitro cars at the drags, most are in the 260 range at the 1/8th mile but only in the 300 range at 1000 yds, so acceleration in the upper end becomes more difficult, because of the resistance and the engine is now at the edge of it's power band.

I agree and understand the principles of physics. That said I timed myself accelerating many times. Rough numbers are 0-60 in 4 sec, 0-90 in 8 seconds (from 1/8 mile), 0-113 in 12.4 sec (from 1/4 mile) and 0-125 in a bit less than 16 sec (filmed during 1/4 mile run which I continued a bit but needed to start braking!). So, since my 1/8 mile is done in about 8 sec flat at 90 mph and that it takes me close to 16 sec to reach 125 mph, it is easy to deduct that 90-125 takes 8 sec...

Now I don t know the top speed but given it is very easy to push it to 125+ and that I have already drove a 1994 Cadillac STS to about 160 mph, I am convinced that my guess of 175 mph with current setup is not utopic. However I was thinking about that yesterday, I would probably need a bigger methanol tank if I were to attempt top speed because it would certainly be meth thirsty! Lol

Archived