Ecoboost Owner Forums

What? More Drag Racing?

Scrming

Local track had a "Memorial Event" today which included Test and Tune and Bracket Racing.... With a little sweet talking, I convinced the Mrs. to let me go out and PLAY AGAIN!!!

Couple high lights from Test and Tune:

1) It was HOT again today! My BEST ET of the day was 13.092 @ 105.94 MPH. This is with the DA between 2700 and 2880!

best_et.jpg

2) Picked up my SECOND PERFECT RT!!!

RT.jpg

Then it was time for the Brackets! Today they once again broke it down into two group: 7.99 or faster and 8.00 or slower. Once again i was in the second bracket group... and once again I came out on TOP!!!! LOL

trophy.jpg

Today, however the two groups did NOT face off like last weekend... so each bracket got a "BIG" trophy!! ;)

So in the matter of two trips to the track, our mantel is starting to fill up! LOL

trophies.jpg

Now being that this was a special "Memorial" event the track was PACKED!! There was a lot of very cool and fast cars! I got spanked quite a bit!!! LOL! Uploading the GoPro video to Youtube right now! Will add it tomorrow... Not staying up for another 2 hours waiting for it! LOL!

Congrats' date=' now maybe you could talk the track into offering prize money, and some sponsors into some money for product use and sticker on the car...greenbacks are much better then trophies.[/quote']

The track does have a money bracket. These have been special "Trophy" events... The track runs their brackets on Sundays and usually I don't hit the track on Sundays.... Just might have to start!!! LOL

Of course... it is kind of funny sitting here, looking up and seeing the trophies on the mantel... Winning drag racing trophies with the wife's Flex... who would have thought! LOL

Thx for posting your videos... That last one however doesn't show recent cars, so it is more difficult to compare... It is funny to see that ugly Camaro that looks heavily modified or that Monte Carlo with a huge hood scoop that can't do better than that... I'd be a shame. Good job on the trophee too!

Thx for posting your videos... That last one however doesn't show recent cars' date=' so it is more difficult to compare... It is funny to see that ugly Camaro that looks heavily modified or that Monte Carlo with a huge hood scoop that can't do better than that... I'd be a shame. Good job on the trophee too![/quote']

Thanks!!!

Yeah, not sure what was going on with that ummmm... i guess Camaro/Firebird kind of thing... LOL! He had a vanity plate on it that was "BB FORD" Thinking perhaps it was Big Block Ford... You just never know what you might line up against at Lapeer! LOL

Steve, don't under estimate Scrming's driving ability. That has a lot to do with winning at the strip. Most people think it is easy to just drive down a straight line, but it's a lot more then that involved. And I can tell you that Scrming is no rookie, with the great Reaction Times I'm seeing on his ET slips and watching the video's, we have a driver here. So for those of you who meet up with him at the strip and are disappointed with your car's trip down the track, you might want to consider letting him have a turn in the driver's seat.

Learn something new everyday. So a "Trophy" race is like a 1 time bracket just for that night. Last time I went to a test night they had a "Trophy" class for another $5. Cars were set like a bracket elimination, didnt understand and left early. Maybe I will try it next time I am there on a Friday.

Lookie lookie at who else is garnering some well deserved hardware! :hail:

Wow! Most impressive indeed :thumb:

Can you explain wth "DA" is again for us dummies like me?

Cuz I already forgot :doh:

Thanks!!

DA refers to Density Altitude... not really sure I can give you a DA for Dummies explanation... Basically though start here:

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

Pick your track and date and time... (as close as possible). This will give you the DA at the time of your runs... The higher the DA, the SLOWER you will run... You can also plug in different weather conditions to get an approximation of how the weather will effect your times. For example I know in the Fall at the local track we will see a DA close to 0, which is what the calculator "corrects" to....

Sorry... i can understand DA but have a hard time explaining... LOL

DA is the altitudes that the engine perceives that it is operating at. It has to do with humidity and heat and what not.

For example when I go fly and pull weather if it's hot as hell and the airport is 311ft above sea level (you are on the ground so you see it as 0) you will hear that the DA is like 3311 ft.

So when that happens when you take off on the runway, the engine performs as if you were at 3311 ft when in reality you are at 311 ft. The elevation of the airport doesn't change but the way the engine performs does based on the environmental conditions.

So the same holds true for cars at tracks. If its a hot an humid day and your track is at 311 ft above sea level, you can calculate based on the weather that you're engine will perform as if you took your car up to Colorado and tracked it up there while in actuality you stated in the flatlands.

DA is the altitudes that the engine perceives that it is operating at. It has to do with humidity and heat and what not.

For example when I go fly and pull weather if it's hot as hell and the airport is 311ft above sea level (you are on the ground so you see it as 0) you will hear that the DA is like 3311 ft.

So when that happens when you take off on the runway, the engine performs as if you were at 3311 ft when in reality you are at 311 ft. The elevation of the airport doesn't change but the way the engine performs does based on the environmental conditions.

So the same holds true for cars at tracks. If its a hot an humid day and your track is at 311 ft above sea level, you can calculate based on the weather that you're engine will perform as if you took your car up to Colorado and tracked it up there while in actuality you stated in the flatlands.

Great explanation! Thanks!

Thanks!!

DA refers to Density Altitude... not really sure I can give you a DA for Dummies explanation... Basically though start here:

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

Pick your track and date and time... (as close as possible). This will give you the DA at the time of your runs... The higher the DA, the SLOWER you will run... You can also plug in different weather conditions to get an approximation of how the weather will effect your times. For example I know in the Fall at the local track we will see a DA close to 0, which is what the calculator "corrects" to....

Sorry... i can understand DA but have a hard time explaining... LOL

Just tried but didnt know what to select. There is a stock or mild NA or heavily modified turbo/super. The first had my adjusted at 12.9 last at 13.2 from an input of 13.33 on a hot night. Pretty neat little calculator, may try to download their app, thanks for posting.

Just tried but didnt know what to select. There is a stock or mild NA or heavily modified turbo/super. The first had my adjusted at 12.9 last at 13.2 from an input of 13.33 on a hot night. Pretty neat little calculator' date=' may try to download their app, thanks for posting.[/quote']

My Flex seems to track pretty closely to the "Stock / Mildly Mod"...

To hopefully keep it simple, the higher the altitude the less oxygen in the air to aid combustion, the more water grains (density) in the air the less fuel the air can carry into the combustion chamber. Remember, FYI oxygen doesn't burn, it just aids combustion. When flying, it means the thinner (less dense) the air, the more it takes flowing over the wings to make lift...hence the thicker (more dense) the air the less it takes flowing over the wings to make lift.

To hopefully keep it simple' date=' the higher the altitude the less oxygen in the air to aid combustion, the more water grains (density) in the air the less fuel the air can carry into the combustion chamber. Remember, FYI oxygen doesn't burn, it just aids combustion. When flying, it means the thinner (less dense) the air, the more it takes flowing over the wings to make lift...hence the thicker (more dense) the air the less it takes flowing over the wings to make lift.[/quote']

Sorta but MJH, O2 amount in the air stays the same no matter where you are in the atmosphere. It is always 21% so without being to nit picky there isnt less O2 in the air.

It's just the higher you go the more spread out the O2 in comparison to the rest of the crap that makes up the atmosphere, so the engine no matter the car or the plane has to work much harder at higher altitudes to get the same performance out of the less dense air up there in comparison to the more dense down closer to the ground.

In Regards to flight, You are correct about the less dense air has to flow way faster over the wings to make the same amount of lift as dense air. But that isn't DA per say.

DA is more focused to performance of the engine. In layman's terms the DA is the altitude the engine (plane or car) thinks it is at currently.

Sorta but MJH, O2 amount in the air stays the same no matter where you are in the atmosphere. It is always 21% so without being to nit picky there isnt less O2 in the air.

It's just the higher you go the more spread out the O2 in comparison to the rest of the crap that makes up the atmosphere, so the engine no matter the car or the plane has to work much harder at higher altitudes to get the same performance out of the less dense air up there in comparison to the more dense down closer to the ground.

In Regards to flight, You are correct about the less dense air has to flow way faster over the wings to make the same amount of lift as dense air. But that isn't DA per say.

DA is more focused to performance of the engine. In layman's terms the DA is the altitude the engine (plane or car) thinks it is at currently.

OK, you are correct about the percentage of O2 remaining constant across the the altitude range (and depth) if talking water, however what does change is the partial pressure of O2 in the mixture, hence breathing compressed air at the surface is not a problem, but as depth increases so does the partial pressure of the O2, hence as you get fairly deep into water breathing just compressed air oxygen in the breathing mix could become toxic. In reverse at altitude because of reduced partial pressure in the mixture it would be low enough that it would not maintain normal function. I think I understand the DA, just was trying to keep it simple, as I have discovered that most people are not very interested in scientific explanations...at least most of my students have eyes glaze over if they ask a question, that requires a more in depth answer then I would normally give! LOL -Think that Scrming says it best^^

Steve' date=' don't under estimate Scrming's driving ability. That has a lot to do with winning at the strip. Most people think it is easy to just drive down a straight line, but it's a lot more then that involved. And I can tell you that Scrming is no rookie, with the great Reaction Times I'm seeing on his ET slips and watching the video's, we have a driver here. So for those of you who meet up with him at the strip and are disappointed with your car's trip down the track, you might want to consider letting him have a turn in the driver's seat.[/quote']

I am not underestimating Scrming, although I think I can keep up with him not too bad (as seen on his video in Milan). My point was more than when you see a monster muscle car with a hood scoop that looks like the mouth of a dinosaur or no hood at all, you'd expect them to be beasts and I just found it sad that they were in fact muscle cars wanna be's. But Scrming is a terrific driver and could indeed give lesson to many others!

Cheers!

I am not underestimating Scrming, although I think I can keep up with him not too bad (as seen on his video in Milan). My point was more than when you see a monster muscle car with a hood scoop that looks like the mouth of a dinosaur or no hood at all, you'd expect them to be beasts and I just found it sad that they were in fact muscle cars wanna be's. But Scrming is a terrific driver and could indeed give lesson to many others!

Cheers!

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, it's getting kind of funny all the bad a$$ sounding race cars, that come in on trailers and what not... I simply pull in with the wife's Flex, on ALL SEASON tires, and then proceed to out run them... then I simply drive home, while they are loading their trailers back up... ;)

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, it's getting kind of funny all the bad a$$ sounding race cars, that come in on trailers and what not... I simply pull in with the wife's Flex, on ALL SEASON tires, and then proceed to out run them... then I simply drive home, while they are loading their trailers back up... ;)

There you go, that's my point, gotta love it John! I do the same... but since my car is not the total sleeper like yours, I sometimes leave the baby seats in the back... But I always think to remove the kids first lol! ; )

You all should be at the SHO NATL. Convention in St. Cloud' date=' MN WE ARE HAVING A KICK... ASS TIME!!![/quote']

just curious...

A) What does this have to do with me drag racing, or even drag racing in general?

B) I don't even own a SHO...

Archived