Ecoboost Owner Forums

TPMS sensor on aftermarket wheels?

So I saw Dorman sells a replacement "bandless" sensor for our cars. Is this just a pop in for aftermarket wheels? They off of radio frequency so does the car just pick up the transmission or do you need to re-set something? Just trying to figure out what all will be involved when I do a wheel & tire swap.

I would STRONGLY suggest for you to remove your TPMS sensors from your stock wheels and reuse them onto w/e after market set you end up purchasing.

If you choose NOT TO (re-use them) you price the sale of your stock wheels accordingly if leave them on & sell them with the OEM wheel.

I made the HUGE mistake of selling my OEM 20's WITH the bands & TPMS sensors and found out the hard way from the set of replacement TPMS sensors I bought online, did not work.

They would not "train" after multiple attempts.

Long story short, I ended up purchasing a fresh, brand new set of the correct sensors & bands which ran me several, several hundred dollars.

So reuse them for sure.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I would STRONGLY suggest for you to remove your TPMS sensors from your stock wheels and reuse them onto w/e after market set you end up purchasing.

If you choose NOT TO (re-use them) you price the sale of your stock wheels accordingly if leave them on & sell them with the OEM wheel.

I made the HUGE mistake of selling my OEM 20's WITH the bands & TPMS sensors and found out the hard way from the set of replacement TPMS sensors I bought online, did not work.

They would not "train" after multiple attempts.

Long story short, I ended up purchasing a fresh, brand new set of the correct sensors & bands which ran me several, several hundred dollars.

So reuse them for sure.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Well that just sucks. I am keeping my stock wheels for winter.... Wanted to go aftermarket for the summer wheels for weight/blackout. I could buy some stock wheels off somebody and just forget about the weight reduction.

I have 3 sets of wheels for my 2010 Flex. I have band sensors for all 3. One stock... One from TireRack, and one from EBAY... all are BAND STYLE... Darreli supposedly has valve stem sensors for his 2010. I would PM him and get all the details before going ahead. Valve stem sensors are much easier to install. Band sensor requre new long bands that are very easy to break, and take about 10 min to install per wheel, simply because you have to be careful tightening the bands which are really long.

Good luck and let us know if you are successful!

• 3 weeks later...

The dorman ones are a stem mounted one, so it's a new stem with threads on the back and a threaded collar on the front. I got some for some 18's I plan to run for the winter but haven't gotten tires yet...so no help there, sorry.

If I'm the first to try the dormans, then I'll post, if not I'll wait in anticipation for someone else.

• 4 months later...

Archived