Ecoboost Owner Forums

Spark plugs ?

casperl878

HELLO ALL, just wanted to see if anyone is using or heard anything good or bad on the pulstar #ef1i spark plugs for our car? they say they give 6-8% more performance and better fuel effiency and higher wattage and 1 stage cooler then the oem ones, so any info on these or the ngk or other ones that u are usuing with there performance or pluses/advantages of them would be great, thanks guys for your help

ant

I've heard of them before, from all I have read about them there not worth it. My personal opinion a spark plug will give you no performance gains what so ever, unless your plugs are bad already. But I am a firm believer in using OEM parts the plugs that came with your car are perfectly capable of lasting 100k+ however I don't recommend waiting that long to change. Motorcraft plugs are made by NGK and I would still be using but with meth kit install requires to install a colder plug. But since you are looking to do a meth kit I wouldn't waist money on plugs now and have to turn around and change them after the install cause the Denso's iridiums I am running will set you back $75 but here is the Denso part number so you can add to your list itv-22

Neither, NGK has excellent plugs. But NGK has no direct stock replacement plug listed for our cars, the do however make a colder heat range plug that will fit out car. That should be used in conjunction with the meth kit. But if your just looking for something to do and want change plugs I believe rockauto.com caries denso itv-20's which are a direct replacement plug for stock plugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I bought Denso ITV-22 a few weeks ago and will have them installed at the same time as my aux trans cooler and T170 bought from Torrie... The mechanic guy at Ford dealer is asking me what needs to be the gap on those spark plugs... Anyone knows without any doubts? He asked me to ask Dan at Livernois to make sure, so if Rick, if you read this and can ask, I would appreciate, or if anyone else knows for sure.

Thanks!

The guy told me he wanted to double checked because they come pre-gapped but they are not always at what they claim to be... I have new plugs instead of 6, so if ever he screws one up, at least I have some spare...

That said, I am pretty sure most of them are ok coming out of the box...

I never gapped mine steve they come pre gapped. And the electrode is so fine galling could damage. And its my understanding plugs like these shouldn't be gapped.

I'm just saying what I did, not making any claims to be factual.

An improperly gapped plug can being a pain to diagnose. Don't ask me how I know.. You will be down on power to boot. I never trust pre gapped plugs myself, While at the same time with the design of the plugs these days. I'm definatley cautious like Crash is saying with gapping them.

Archived