Ecoboost Owner Forums

Transmission clunk and hard downshift...after TSB

I assume a good number of you have had one of the various Transmission TSB's that are out there for our cars. My particular car has a build date of 02/10 and I have had the TSB done that removes a shift valve in the Valve body and updates the PCM.Well I am having worse issues now with the car. Sometimes when i accelerate from highway speeds to say 95 and then let off the accelerator to slow back to 65 the transmission seems to "hang" in a lower gear and not upshift which holds the car at a higher rpm. Also, on occasion it will do the rough downshift from 3-2 and also from 2-1 and make a distinct noise. It is a very noticeable downshift that throws you forward and is very unexpected. Now I have noticed that this happens more often when using the paddle shifters but has also happened while in "D" Drive.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone else is having issues after having had the TSB performed? Or if you have noticed the hang while accelerating and then decelerating at higher speeds.

My non PP has a build date of 3/1/10. When I had my tranney TSB service I had no such experience. That said on a recent trip I had to use some 91 octane so I went back to stage 3 after running my usual 4+. I got some very weird and erratic shifting for a few miles. Rick at Livernoise explained that the tranny goes through a "learning" phase and that it would pass.... and it did. I wonder if you are experiencing a "learning" period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't experienced any "bad" issues before the TSB. It has been much worse since I had it done. I ran it for quite a few weeks after the TSB before I had gotten the tunes and it was doing this same thing so I don't think it's the tune. Plus, I have put a good amount of miles on the car since loading the Stage 3 tune (Probably close to 2,000) so it's far out of it's learning curve.

For the most part the car is driving pretty good. I was having some issues earlier back with a feel of "lack in power", but I've chalked that up to a bad tank of gas(From Shell, no less...which really surprised me) and I've been running Tesoro 92 octane(comes out of North Dakota) with good luck so far. After the TSB I noticed a lot "tighter" shifting which i assume was from the PCM update so in that respect I am very happy. But these harsh downshifts and random "hangs" that happen often enough to be a cause for concern have me a bit worried.

I was less than impressed with the dealership I used for my service work so if I end up needing to get something done again I will be driving 2 hours which is a pain to schedule around work.

On another note my dad's 2010 5.4l F150 is making a very pronounced "clunking" noise when accelerating that he just started noticing a couple days ago. He pulled an average sized camper this weekend and I'm wondering if she's letting go. Get's me wondering about Fords new 6 speed auto's :o I think his truck has about the same amount of miles on it as my car. Mid 30k.

My tranny shifts a little rough from either 1-2 or 2-1...can't really tell. All I know is I'm going about 10 mph and almost feels like I hit a pot hole. Only does it if I'm creeping along, which is rare.

Can't remember if I noticed before the tune; thus wondering if it's the known issue or from the tune?

Suppose I should put the car back to stock for awhile and see if I notice?

i have had some hard clunks after the tune, i run the stage4, and its mostly paddle shifting but has happened in "D"drive, 2nd gear is the p.i.t.a. clunking gear, when i shift into 2nd and down into 2nd thats the problem gear and thats sometimes, but it has only happened since i had the tune,

Hmmm...I get this as well but only occasionally and I have NOT had the TSB done. (I keep thinking I need to get it done but haven't yet so I've attributed it to that) If you hammer it and it has to shift down to 2 (I think it's 3-2 downshift but it might be 4-2) sometimes its like it will pause and then it slams in to gear. The car shudders badly and then everything is just fine. It's also happened once at freeway speeds downshifting in to 3. I've also experienced the car surging forward a bit when coasting down to slower speeds but always thought that was the turbos spooling down?

I have a tune loaded but have no idea if its related to that. It doesn't do it very often but when it does I have to admit its very unsettling.

That sounds like the same issue I occasionally have EcoBoostSHO. "Surging" is a good word to describe it. It's like you accelerate and then let off the gas to slow back down, but the car feels like it is still pushing forward. It feels to me almost like it's sticking in a lower gear and keeping the rev's up. Not sure if that's exactly whats happening or not.

As for the hard downshift, the only time I notice that is when I am slowing down and it shifts from 2-1. Never have it happen when it shifts to a lower gear under heavy acceleration. The way this transmission shifts, it almost seems like it sometimes gets confused and try's to do one thing and then scrambles to correct it's mistake when you hit the throttle or slow down or whatever the case may be.

There are multiple TSB's for this transmission, here are the ones that are more than likely related to our issues:

11-12-10 - 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011

10-09-09 - 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - DTC P0751 - HARSH OR NO FORWARD ENGAGEMENTS - PERCEIVED SLIP ON ACCELERATION - SLIP/DELAYED AND/OR HARSH DOWNSHIFTS

10-06-04 - 6F55 TRANSMISSION WITH ECO BOOST (GTDI)- BUMP 3-1 COASTING DOWNSHIFT BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H) BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/1/2010

10-04-03 - 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SHIFT FLARE INITIAL 2-3 SHIFT / SLIGHT DELAY/BUMP 3-1 COASTING DOWNSHIFT BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H) BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/17/2009

What is your build date vernonator? 2012 doesn't have any transmission TSB's related to rough shifting that I am aware of, but if you have an early build it may fall into one of the above.

Knowing that a majority of you have/are experiencing these issues makes me feel a little better. But only a little. I'm still concerned since I have had the TSB done and it seems to be noticeably worse than before.

I have the same problem had the TSB done last week, I believe the campaign is 11-5, now the car will slammed into gear when I'm slowing for a turn. It doesn't do this every time, but I never had this problem before the TSB, 2010 with 22,000 miles. I'm taking it back to the dealer Monday.

Mine does not "clunk" if that means you can hear something. I get more of a long pause when I am in 1st/2nd and give it the gun but not alway..it is a slow upshift more than a physical clunk (2012 PP w/no tune). I need to pay attention and see if its in a specific rpm range when I e

Well the dealer said because they re-programmed my transmission it needs time to learn my driving style. I ask if the transmissions are broken in on new cars? "He said no" I said so why don't they clunk? I'm going to look around and find another dealer.

Well the dealer said because they re-programmed my transmission it needs time to learn my driving style. I ask if the transmissions are broken in on new cars? "He said no" I said so why don't they clunk? I'm going to look around and find another dealer.

I've heard that this can be the case after a "re-program." Maybe try it for a month and see what happens, unless of course you are close to being out of warranty.

When I have had my transmission reset on my 2008 expedition, it usually only takes 2 or 3 days before it feels normal again. Less than 100 miles seems to do the trick. And it never felt like it was "clunky", it just seemed to hold gear a bit longer before it shifted.

Well it's good to hear you are making some headway with this situation 100Chuck. Hopefully that new Valve Body will not give you any more issues. I haven't had any issues with my car doing this in about a week now and I've driven quite a bit. I have not put it into 'M' once during this period so i'm starting to wonder if it is directly related to this.

I agree' date=' I took a copy of the TSB with me when I took the car back and the Service Manager assured me that they followed the process word for word. I don't think there's much I can do at this point since they agree to fix the problem.[/quote']

Yea, getting it corrected is the main thing, really doesn't matter how it happened at this point. Seems like your keeping a pretty good attitude about the whole thing, keep it up!

Damn. Have you been using the paddle shifter's at all? I have not been using them and still have not had a clunk. I still am getting the weird "hang" in a lower gear after accelerating at highway speeds and then slowing back down, I have to tap the accelerator to get it to shift out of the lower gear so it will drop rpm's again. These poor transmission's seem to get confused.

No, don't use the paddle shifters at all, I don't recall ever trying the paddle shifters. Pick the car up yesterday they rechecked the calibrations and re-installed the latest PCM software. While driving the car home notice the &%^&* speedometer wasn't working and the brakes are making a noise.

Archived