Ecoboost Owner Forums

Chip on hood

Alright guys. I drove 6 hours after work today and noticed that I have a chip on my hood. I'm really worried about this, and I need you guys to talk me off the ledge.

Here's a pic:

[ATTACH]954[/ATTACH]

Please tell me this is fixable. I'm super worried about this since I have the white platinum tri coat metallic paint, and the fact that I've only had it 3 months and already have this. I saw that there are other threads on paint scratches, but I wanted to start my own because I'm so worried about this.

Thanks in advance.

post-464-142532294613_thumb.jpg

post-464-142532294613_thumb.jpg

Nice product I will have to try. You will be able to hide your chip at best, but the only way it will truly disappear is to repaint. Been in the paint biz for 25yrs, I would recommend try this kit or one of the others out there. Make it less conspicuous rather then repainting, you may end up with whole entire hood your unhappy with.

Alright. Thanks guys. I think I'm going to try that langka. Does it work well with metallic paints?

I need an oil change soon anyway so maybe I'll see what the dealer could do. I'm sure they'll tell me that nothing other than having them fix it will work. Langka looks good. I do realize that these things happen so I may as well just try to hide it a bit. The price you pay for having such a beautiful car as a daily driver. :)

The key with the Lanka system is take your time. Fill a small bit of the chip at a time, letting the paint build up. Leave a little room in the chip to fill with clear coat for the final fills. It should be almost like a bubble at the end. Let it dry for a few days, then use the card and Lanka final step to smooth it. I have a bunch to do tomorrow also. Damn construction truck got me good the other day.

I'd do it yourself and don't let the dealership try to repair it. Dealerships are terrible at these jobs and also do a terrible job at detailing. The people that do that work have very little knowledge of what is required to make it look right, and also they are not going to spend the time or be as careful as you will be in doing the repair.

Alright. So I got some touch up paint from my Ford dealership. The white tri coat metallic comes in two bottles. A basecoat and a topcoat. I have about 3 or 4 coats of the basecoat on there and it looks really good until you look at an angle because the basecoat seems to be a flat white. The top coat has the metallic flakes and the shinier look and I'm kind of afraid of to put the topcoat on.

My concern is that I tried these in an inconspicuous place under the trunk. I filled a little chip with just basecoat and the other I did with basecoat and topcoat. The basecoat matches the color better but doesn't give the glossy/metallic look. The topcoat doesn't seem to match the color at all. It's quite a bit darker than what's on my car.

I don't really want to put it on the middle of the hood if it's going to be shades darker than the rest. Does anyone have any tips on what to do? I ordered the langka system and should be here next week, but that won't help my problem with the topcoat being a shade darker than the factory paint.

Thanks in advance.

Keep in mind that the appearance of basecoat/clearcoat (and most other) paint systems will change slightly as it dries. I touched up some gravel chips on the hood of my white platinum tri-coat Mercury Mountaineer a couple years ago. I purchased the basecoat and pearl coat from the local Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes store. It wasn't cheap, since I already had plenty of clear coat I just got a half pint of the base and a half pint of the pearl, cost me $185! They said Ford specifies actual pearl rather than synthetic pearl.

Anyway, the final job matched great, but one of the tricks is applying multiple coats of pearl to match the rest of the panel prior to applying the clear. I'm not sure how they are getting the "tri-coat" effect with only two bottles.

-Rod

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I just tried DR Colorchip. I was really suspicious, but i have to say the touch up color for my steel blue metallic was dead on - and I mean dead on. The touch-up from the dealer was not, close, but too light. Based on my experience, I would recommend them. Not cheap though...... I think I paid like 50 bucks, but to me it was worth it. When I got the car it had two one inch scrapes on the mirror which I touched up with the Dealer paint and was never totally happy. The color match with DR was awesome. I did not use their "technique", but rather just used it like regular touch up paint.

I swear by Dr Colorchip. My 2011 Buick Enclave got keyed end to end by some kids and I used the kit and it matched flawlessly. You couldn't see where it had been marked up at. But dings like that is all the more reason why I support clear car wraps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really great to hear, I'd been debating trying their system for years but never knew anyone that had actually used Dr. Colorchip. Since you guys are recommending them, I will buy from them since you guys were pleased with it. I do have a few chips on our Explorer that need touched up so, it's of to the Dr. I go!

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried Langka after DR Colorchip? Dr. Colorchip worked great for most of the small chips, but I have a deeper scratch it just doesn't match as well. I have the White Platinum Tri-coat, so I was thinking about getting the factory paints and Langka for the deeper chips or scratches. I didn't know if the factory paint with the Lanka system will adhere to the scratch if I already have it partially filled in with DR. Colorchip.

I'm going to have to look into these products. I have a few chips on the front end of my G8, and always hate seeing them. These look like they're pretty easy to work with... at least the video on their website makes it look easy! LOL!

Archived