Ecoboost Owner Forums

headlights webbing on the inside

casperl878

Well figure it out guys so I know if I should go yank mine off before damage is done. :)

Just to throw a wrench in the discussion, remember several people that have tinted lights don't have the problem and as previously stated some that have no tint have the problem. Seems like a hit or miss, kinda like the tail light peeling. Personally, I would leave the film on the car. I have had mine tinted since early spring (this year) and do not have the problem. FYI, my car has been outside since purchase, so I would think that it would be a good candidate for the problem.

AND J1MMY, I HATE TO SAY it but i hate ur gut !! lol, and i def. hate my gut cause i have that same damn feeling, but like i said theres people without the film and have this same issue and also people with the film and dont have this same issue, so i have a bad gut feeling like u but it also puzzles me and pisses me off cause its def. not suppose to happen regaurdless cause like i said i know high end cars as my guy does bmw's,lamborghini,maserati's and so on, unless they just have a better headlight plactic for the higherend more expensive cars, idk,

Tss I believe your safe. Upon reading on this corvette forum where I learn of this crazing/spider webbing. GM has tsb regarding however the tsb states to for dealer to look to see if there is any signs of tinting. And it appears there really no clear cut reason as to why some people get it even without tint. But with that said I have seen polycarbonate react to being just in the presents of solvents. Not say anyone car is near or around, could have been during manufacturing. But work in a paint shop and had bought some rimless glasses and they cracked around the screws where they go there lens. And when I took in thats the 1st thing they asked do I work around solvent. Had another pair of glass not rimless for a couple a years no problems and wiped off with a little solvent to remove over spray and had done periodically over the life of them and one day while wiping a crack magically appeared right before my eyes. So with your guys cars it is very difficult to say what is real culprit here is. A flaw in manufacturing, tint, excessive heat, exposure?

Just wondering, any MKS folks lurking here have this issue? I had some very light milky cloudiness on the inside of my driver's light, and they replaced it under warranty, which actually surprised me, but no webbing. Based on the above few posts, I think I am just going to leave the clear tint on.

are you headlights tinted also steve o? and how long have they been if they are tinted?

They are not tinted, but the car has had the hood painted and the left fender at a Ford autobody shop, twice and unfortunately they butchered the 2nd job so another shop will be refinishing it. Ford is replacing the right light for the cracking polycarb and the left light for the shutter defect, damn car looks all cock eyed with the shutter not closing all the way.

Just wondering' date=' any MKS folks lurking here have this issue? I had some very light milky cloudiness on the inside of my driver's light, and they replaced it under warranty, which actually surprised me, but no webbing. Based on the above few posts, I think I am just going to leave the clear tint on.[/quote']

I think you made the right call leaving the clear film on the car. I put mine on more for protection then for the tint effect, but I love the way tinted headlights look, so I went with the lightest tint available for the headlights. It is very subtle and I am really pleased with it. Besides and old guy like me (with vision problems) was afraid that if I went any darker I would loose too much light output. Here's a shot of mine, it's really hard to tell there is any tint unless it is beside a non-tinted headlight:

IMG_5509.jpg

hey mjh,

how long have you had your lights tinted and do you know what type of film was used? and what they used to prep/clean the light when they put it on? and you have no "webbing/cracking"? cant see cause its not a close up of the headlight,

thanks

I think you made the right call leaving the clear film on the car. I put mine on more for protection then for the tint effect, but I love the way tinted headlights look, so I went with the lightest tint available for the headlights. It is very subtle and I am really pleased with it. Besides and old guy like me (with vision problems) was afraid that if I went any darker I would loose too much light output. Here's a shot of mine, it's really hard to tell there is any tint unless it is beside a non-tinted headlight:

IMG_5509.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hey steve o,

what year and mileage on your car? and they replaced headlight parts or replaced both headlights in a whole complete new headlight(both)?

I just got the car back yesterday' date=' they replaced both front headlights. The right side for cracking the left for the shutter, no arguments from the dealer whatso ever. Any one who was told headlight housings are not covered the dealer is lying to you.[/quote']

steve o,

im glad they took care of you and thats great they replaced the whole headlights for u, but as i said under the extended warranty its not covered, so thats why they did that you for and wont for me, so its good for you and crappy for me, i have a 2010 40k and bought the best extended most fully covered ford warranty up to 100k and its not covered and basically im shyt out of luck, i called another dealership and ford headquarters just to double,triple check to make sure it wasnt my dealership which is horrible with customer service and so short and rude and show no caring or effort to help or work with you, so thats the difference and once again thats good they took care of you buddy!

Archived