Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 Remote Start issue

Does anyone else have problems with:

1. Transmitter distance not very far

2. Car stalls and fails to start. Remote start only attempts once.

Aside from the failed start issue, which I don't have a statistic on yet, but its always when I actually want to

remote start the car. I have concluded that it requires me to leave the apartment and walk over to

the parking lot to start (old trick is to hold transmitter to chin and you gain extra 10ft or so). I am

by far not a lazy person, I am just in the winter mind set and I am hearing its going to be a cold

snowy one. My parking lot is about 50 yards from my front door. I have had issues in different parking lots in the

area so interference problems would not be the same contributor at each. Just a gripe I have.

74d34h -

I'll nibble....

What system do you have? The one that your dealer put on for you, or an aftermarket such as Viper/DEI ?

I have this system and can start anywhere in the world, let alone 50 yards away: http://viper.com/SmartStart/BT.aspx

Thanks -

Does anyone else have problems with:

1. Transmitter distance not very far

2. Car stalls and fails to start. Remote start only attempts once.

Aside from the failed start issue, which I don't have a statistic on yet, but its always when I actually want to

remote start the car. I have concluded that it requires me to leave the apartment and walk over to

the parking lot to start (old trick is to hold transmitter to chin and you gain extra 10ft or so). I am

by far not a lazy person, I am just in the winter mind set and I am hearing its going to be a cold

snowy one. My parking lot is about 50 yards from my front door. I have had issues in different parking lots in the

area so interference problems would not be the same contributor at each. Just a gripe I have.

Mine does the same thing but not sure if it's a stall or not for me. If I try to start it once and it doesn't work it won't try it again and I have to crank it from inside but I haven't heard it actually try to turn over and fail to do so. Rather, it just blinks at me and doesn't try to start. I also agree on the distance, should be better than it is.

My SHO works fine, however I have had the same issue with an aftermarket alarm that is installed in my worktruck (Expedition). It will always start but on occasion it will turn off after 30 seconds or so. I thought it may have been the battery in the remote but that didn't turn out to be the problem. I also thought it may be turning off because the truck was in the low fuel range where you start getting the "50 miles to empty" warning. Did a troubleshoot there and that still wasn't it. I've tried having the vehicle armed and unarmed, doesn't seem to make a difference. Still looking for the answer. Hopefully someone here will have the answer. This particular alarm in an "UNGO" made by Clarion.

One other thing, I'm wondering if once remote started, the remote needs to be able to communicate or be in a good reception distance from the vehicle to keep it running? If the signal is weak maybe it auto shuts down? I have a SKYTEK in my KingRanch that has a silly range for its remote (they claim 1/2 mile or so). I have never had an issue with it shutting down after a remote start.

My two pennies.

Mine does the same thing but not sure if it's a stall or not for me. If I try to start it once and it doesn't work it won't try it again and I have to crank it from inside but I haven't heard it actually try to turn over and fail to do so. Rather' date=' it just blinks at me and doesn't try to start. I also agree on the distance, should be better than it is.[/quote']

I can hear it half crank over and fail once in a while since I have to be close to the vehicle parking to get it to work. Try holding the transmitter under your chin and you really will pick up some extra distance. This is frustrating because winter is fast approaching and I really want to be able to start it and warm the car up. I also noticed my auto wipers didnt clear the window this morning and it was raining all night, I was set to the 3rd line for sensitivity. Maybe this is by design in case of heavy snow accumulation where the wiper motor might burn out? Another issue is the auto detect heat/cold is not so great at 50deg its still turning on the air conditioning on remote start. I have the settings configured to auto.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have only had my car for 3 days but I did notice twice that the range was a bit short. I was pressing the lock button every 10 steps leaving work looking for the running lights to come on. I would guess 40ft before the lights came on. And then I pressed remore start like 5 times before it worked as I was closer. I still need to play with it some more and maybe its operator error. Gonna go test this out on my lunch break and press buttons less franticly. I was trying to show the new car off to a co-worker, FAIL! :(

I've not had any issues with mine.

OP, i would say while the weather is still decent you should just go out to the car and video yourself using the remote start to see if you can get it act up when your recording. That So you can take that to the dealer, since you get it to do it all the time.

I have noticed my range is very short also. I was thinking about replacing the battery in the key fob. I have to go into the salesman's office so I can look out the window and make sure it starts. My office is probably 110' away and it won't start from there. I like that it came with auto start but I would rather have a two-way with range than this.

I swapped remotes and noticed a slight improvement. I still get an occasional fail to start or half crank. Now its about 20 deg in the morning and the cars are frosted over so this is the time to have the remote start actually work! Holding the keyfob under my chin definitely increases the range a good amount. I am learning to get good parking spots at my complex the night before a really cold night or storm so I can reach it from my apartment haha!

I got 76 paces from the car before remote start worked, 84 when it would lock/unlock (weird). There did seem to be a line of sight issue as when I wook 5 steps to the right so the corner of the house was blocking the front half of the car it wouldnt work. The backup clicker did add 2 or 3 steps to the range. The 76 seemed alot farther away than when it worked during lunch and getting off work today. I wish it had more reliable range. Don't even get me started on the myford touch.

I got a half crank fail again earlier tonight. The lock always has more distance then the remote start also on my car.

This weekend my navigation got 1x1 square of distortortion on the screen where the nav arrow goes. The only way to fix it was to pop out the SD card forcing a reboot. That was odd and I needed the navigation so I had to rely on turn by turn until I guessed how to fix the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope your mother is better now. I wanted to update and say its been colder here and i had the same issue, and determine that it was because i was two far away. It initally on two seperate days days from far a way it would click once and then not start until i got in the car. On the third day i got closer to the car and it started right up with the remote.

It may have been a coincidence, but the only time I have had this same issue (refuse to start, just blinks at you like..."yeah so?") was when my fuel was dangerously low. I assumed it was an intelligent fail safe so that I didn't run my fuel out. One other time it didn't start but after I thought about it, it was low 70's out and I have my auto temp set to 72...Again I thought that it was a smart decision to not let my car start up since it was already close to my auto temp anyhow (why else would you want to start your car up unless it was extremely hot or cold?). Maybe I am giving Ford too much credit here, but other than those two time, mine has worked perfectly!

I guess I should read my manual ;)

Archived