Ecoboost Owner Forums

Upgrading 2012 SHO standard 7 speaker (non-Sony) audio--need help/information

jim1274

Well then, the only thing that makes me hesitant then is the thought of something small that we might lose with the kit that I will miss. Is it ONLY Sync and steering controls? If thats the case, I see no reason why we wouldn't all wanna just scrap the stock setup and go with aftermarket components. Also, has anybody else noticed what I mentioned about the plastic not being a match for the stock trim piece?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well then' date=' the only thing that makes me hesitant then is the thought of something small that we might lose with the kit that I will miss. Is it ONLY Sync and steering controls? If thats the case, I see no reason why we wouldn't all wanna just scrap the stock setup and go with aftermarket components. Also, has anybody else noticed what I mentioned about the plastic not being a match for the stock trim piece?[/quote']

Yeah, I did notice that. It is just black instead of the carbon look we have in our SHO'. That is the point though, by getting this setup we would scrap the entire SYNC system. Before the dash kit was brought into discussion, they were talking about retaining the SYNC system with an aftermarket processor and aftermarket speakers. But with this Dash Kit it will allow us to scrap the terrible SYNC all together and incorporate our own aftermarket head units, which will always be better then stock.

The aftermarket Head Units come with bluetooth, voice commands, text, better audio processing, an actual EQ, etc. And so much more. It would also make it easier to setup aftermarket speakers.

So I was adding some stuff into my cart on Crutchfield.com and when I added the dask kit with the Alpine INE-Z928HD it took $150 off of the dash kit!?

But when I take the Alpine HU off of the order it adds the $150 back to it. So with the HU it actually saves you an additional $150. They will also price match on top of that. I might be ordering this within the next few weeks depending on how my tax return looks!

Yeah' date=' my point exactly. I have the Sony Premium system with Navigation. But I'm sure I won't be the first to say that the NAV system for Ford is TERRIBLE. 3/4's of the addresses I put into the thing, aren't available. To get an aftermarket HU in there and only have to spend $200-300 is almost a no brainier. I like the SYNC system, but not enough to pass up the opportunity of putting in aftermarket. The new Alpine and Kenwoods out do our SYNC systems by a long shot. Especially the new Alpine ones. They do the same as our sync system. By auto pairing with our phones etc. I've always ran Kenwood HU's mainly because of their SQ capabilities and the options of running three way active fronts, like I currently have. Also if you do aftermarket, that will solve your active situation right away without having the spend the money on a processor. You can of course still, but it wouldn't be nec. anymore. I didn't want to do an aftermarket HU because I wasn't going to spend $1000 to get it custom fitted to the car. Now that I know this is an option, I will be ordering hopefully soon.[/quote']

I do not care about the sync beyond the ability to load a USB drive full of tunes and see the song info on the readout--don't use any of the other functions. I am going to see what is out there in combo NAV and sound head units. Time to look at the dash kit a little closer.

Post your impressions of the quality and appearance of the dash kit if you score one--250 bucks just seems too cheap for what it is and what it does.

FWIW, I did see that one guy who installed one had problems with discharging his battery quickly:

http://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16621&p=106202#p106202

I just posted a reply asking if that ever got fully resolved.

lol uh oh! What components do you have? The JBL MS-8 is a great system if you are planning on keeping the SYNC system. I would rate the JBL the best or second to the Audison Bit One. They both will accomplish anything or everything you want to do in regards to aftermarket stereo. I just like the idea of being able to put in a aftermarket HU for only $300>. You can get better sound then our Sony systems by purchasing Infinity Kappa's for petes sake. I hate Bose' date=' but the GM Bose system makes our cars sound like trash. The sony system in our vehicles is probably the cars biggest flaw.[/quote']

I'm running Focal K2P comp and Kicker L5 subs. The dash kit is an option but at this time Im sticking to my guns & keeping it stock up front. The JBL is still at the top of the list. AUDISON has a lot of new products for 2013 so with me starting in the trunk there may be more options in the coming months. CES is going on as we speak. Let's see if I can make my self more confused and indecisive.

I do not care about the sync beyond the ability to load a USB drive full of tunes and see the song info on the readout--don't use any of the other functions. I am going to see what is out there in combo NAV and sound head units. Time to look at the dash kit a little closer.

Post your impressions of the quality and appearance of the dash kit if you score one--250 bucks just seems too cheap for what it is and what it does.

FWIW, I did see that one guy who installed one had problems with discharging his battery quickly:

http://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16621&p=106202#p106202

I just posted a reply asking if that ever got fully resolved.

It seems it did resolve his issue. Which is good to hear! I will let you know when I order it and keep you posted on my results w/ pictures etc. I should know what I'm getting for my tax return in the next few weeks here. I'll probably get the HU and scosche system on order right after that. I will assume that the quality is on par with everything else they sell, which is usually medium to good.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems it did resolve his issue. Which is good to hear! I will let you know when I order it and keep you posted on my results w/ pictures etc. I should know what I'm getting for my tax return in the next few weeks here. I'll probably get the HU and scosche system on order right after that. I will assume that the quality is on par with everything else they sell' date=' which is usually medium to good.[/quote']

Which aftermarket head unit did you decide on? I have not scoped them out yet myself, but will be looking at ones with NAV--put a Pioneer AVIC NAV head in the Silverado that this SHO replaced and liked it a lot. That unit was almost 5 years ago, so they probably have changed since then.

I was planning on going with the Alpine 8" but don't think we have the clearance to do that. So I am going to wait for a few more months and get the new Kenwood DNN990HD. Take a look at the link. It shows off all of the features. I ran the old Pioneer units, but was never a fan of their GPS. I like the kenwoods as they come with Garmin. The features though on their new line are just nuts! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these! It also looks like it has features for our Ford SYNC vehicles where we can utilize it still. I don't know if it will work or not yet, but it also has climate control built into the unit that might work with our cars as well!

http://www.doubledmods.com/uploads/Kenwood_2013.pdf

I was planning on going with the Alpine 8" but don't think we have the clearance to do that. So I am going to wait for a few more months and get the new Kenwood DNN990HD. Take a look at the link. It shows off all of the features. I ran the old Pioneer units, but was never a fan of their GPS. I like the kenwoods as they come with Garmin. The features though on their new line are just nuts! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these! It also looks like it has features for our Ford SYNC vehicles where we can utilize it still. I don't know if it will work or not yet, but it also has climate control built into the unit that might work with our cars as well!

http://www.doubledmods.com/uploads/Kenwood_2013.pdf

That is one impressive looking unit! Not cheap, but still a lot of product for the money, and may have a street price a couple hundred less. That dash kit option and a unit like this is looking better and better.....

I saw a mention over on the Corvette forum of a whole install package for $1500 for the C6:

http://m.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3203026-coming-in-april-the-new-kenwood-dnn990hd-now-taking-preorders.html

I am thinking this upgrade project just got a lot more expensive....

Do the SHO first....

Skimmed through the literature you linked--impressive. One thing I am going to do is see if any competing products have beefy amp sections--maybe I can get by for starters with just adding a sub amp to the mix. I am not holding my breath....

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased all of the installation acc. needed to do the install on the SHO (wiring, distro blocks, optima, fatmat, etc.). I will probably start working on it pretty soon. I think I am going to start with throwing my extra subs in the back for now. I am going to wait till April for the Kenwood 990HD to come out and install that. I will take tons of pictures as I figure out how to take everything apart.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2013 SHO with the base sound system. The front speakers were swapped to Kicker 5x7 components, rear doors were disconnected and I added Kicker 6x9 speakers in the rear deck (in the factory holes). I then installed a 2 channel alpine amp to run a Kicker 10" sub. The amp was mounted on the driver side trunk panel (where the oem sony amp would have been) behind the panel. One day I will get around and install the 10" up on the rear deck center where the oem sub would have been.

Overall the car sounds much better.

Archived