Ecoboost Owner Forums

door/pillar rattle

Tss, thanks for the info, I was thinking of doing the exact same thing. It's annoying mostly due to the fact the interior is so bloody quiet.

Scott, that is exactly what I am observing. It happens over certain bumps or when applying the brakes. I think this weekend I'm going to that the seat out and see if I can duplicate the issue. Ill keep you guys informed.

Jeff

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ That really sounds like a seatbelt mechanism.....you know how when you brake hard the seatbelt tightens? Taking off the side interior pillar is pretty easy. I know what you mean, my rattle is not bad, but the car is so darn quiet it is a thorn in my side.

Also an update on my rattle - after taking the door, roof, pillar. glove box area, door sill molding, etc ,etc apart numerous times and realistically having 15 hours wrapped up in this, my latest invertigations have led me to the passenger seat. It seems (need more data to confirm) that when the power passenger seat is in the absolutely lowest position, the noise is not there. I had previously tried moving the seat all the forward, back, reclined, etc with no changes. Don't know why yesterday I realized i had not tried fully lowering or raising. If this is proven through trial and error and raising and lowering the seat and testing, I will remove the seat next to find the culprit (or just always leave the passenger seat in the lowest position LOL) . I have fiddled with stuff under the seat, but have not removed it.

Also, thanks and appreciation to Rod (SHO Rod) for getting me a page out of the MKS service manual. I am so impressed by the willingness to help here. :)

Tss I believe mentioned way back I had rattle way back coming from the seat. I never did any thing about as it has worked it self out. But I believe mine was coming from seat back hinge possibly because while driving I notice the passenger seat back shake and when I put my hand against I would stop. Any how I think you guys maybe headed in the right direction base on my experiences.

I did read that way back, but was too stupid to listen.

I figured because my seat back did not shake, the sound was still there with a passenger or without, the sound was there when I held the seat back, the sound was still there after moving seat forward/back/recline, and I had secured everything under the seat and all visible seat mechanisms, that it was not the seat! But I never tried raising and fully lowering though....... While I currently think it is the seat, it may not be the recliner portion - but if i had listened to you, I may have had 15 hours of my life back. I am going to need those hours someday!

LOL! we all have time spent we'll never get back, but it was for the love of your car so its not a total loss. But I wasn't trying to say I told you so at all, just reiterating my experiences. But that said what you and other are experiencing my not be the same issue at all, this I know from working in a car factory. The seats in every car should have been torque checked so mount bolts should be secure. But I know there is a lot of goodies up under my seats so perhaps something the is the culprit. good luck

ShoBoat: No multi contoured seats in the MKS...at least not in 2010-2012.

Crash: I did not think you were rubbing it in my face at all. I was, honestly, poking fun at myself. It just really sounded like it was coming from the door. You all should see the inside of my door. I have taken it completely apart and put it back together at least 7 times. It is full of foam, sound deadening blankets, zip ties, wire loom, felt, and electrical tape....all trying to eliminate the noise that was not there..... LOL....

I will report back once I confirm, 100%, that rattle is gone with seat fully lowered. If I am able to narrow it down to that, I WILL FIND THE RATTLE IF IT IS THE LAST THING I DO!!!!!

I drove the car for a couple of their service techs well they sat in back. They say they couldn't hear the rattle from the passenger seat, but they did hear a rattle from the passenger side rear seat...... And then on top of that I've started to pick up a new rattle that disappears if you put pressure on the corner of the overhead bin on the passenger side near the maplight.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so time for an update. I haven't had the time to take the seat out. I did have it in for service the other day and they spent the day trying to find it, to no avail. I know that it is coming from the seat track assembly. With the seat all the way back and at the bottom it does not "clunk". I think I am going to try another dealer as this is the second time they have tried to fix it. If that fails then I will have to remove the seat myself to find it.

I haven't experienced any noise from the multi-contour seats, my thoughts are that the could be 2 reasons. First my seats were both out when they were repaired because the lumbar decided to inflate itself all the way to full at whenever it felt that it wanted to be inflated, without input from anyone, so maybe the seats were tightened when they were repaired and put back in the car, or the more simple explanation, with my fat a$$ in the seats there's too much bulk for anything to rattle!

^^ Just remember, I don't have multi countour seats , so I am thinking that is not a factor. I also think that it is more than a coincidence that for two of us, the issue goes away when fully lowering the seat - even though we describe the noises differently (rattle versus thunk).

• 4 weeks later...

Don't have multicontour seats here either. I still have the clunk and am trying to isolate it. I feel it is also in the seat rail. Feels and sounds like the seat rail on the left side near the back. The sound travels through all the metal in the floor so its really hard to figure this one out. It seems to be a weight related thing also. Im pushing 300lbs and does it all the time now but doesnt do it when my 150 lb wife drives the car.

Funny you should revive this thread today - on my "to do" list for the weekend, now that Christmas is over, is to hit this project again, taping, zip tying, and putting foam anywhere under the passenger seat that I can. Trust me, there is a bunch of stuff under there.....

Just wondering, could it possibly be that something is hitting the plastic heat vents that direct air to the rear? I haven't really looked under the seats to see what all is under them...well other then to find the Maxim that I stashed under there with Catherine Bell (the girl from JAG)! Just to keep as reference material!:RpS_smile:

LOL^^.

But yes, looking at the plastic vents and the seat filter area is on my list. I tried stuffing a bunch of towels under there as a test, but the rattle noise was still there and the airbag "OFF" light came on even when there was a passenger there - so the towels would not have been a permanent fix anyway. It does not ALWAYS rattle, just sometimes. Only way so far to eliminate is to lower seat fully. When raised, it rattles 50% of the time or more. There are all kinds of little mechanisms under there..... And noise, for me, is there with or without a passenger ( alight passenger anyway). Havent tested with a heavier passenger.

Mine is driver side clunk. Now I'm wondering again if it is somewhere in the seatbelt mechanism. when i hold the rod that is inside the rubber boot of the seatbelt that goes into the floor I can feel it when it clunks. I don't know if it is just transferring from there or if it is starting there. Sometimes are worse than others but I cant figure out why or what is difference. If that makes any sense...

^^ If raising or lowering the seat affects the noise, I doubt its the seat belt mechanism. I already took that all apart anyway on mine and there are not too many parts in there to make noise. What the hell do I know though? Look at how long I have been chasing this and reporting on this thread I started. LOL

Just to summarize: In searching for the answer:

I have ripped apart the entire door, everything - its not the door.

I have checked the rear sunshade - its not the rear sunshade.

I have secured a lot of stuff under the seat (wires/cables/etc) - no dice so far

I have ripped apart the headliner - its not the headliner.

I have completely taken apart the door pillar between the front and rear doors as well as the floor moulding sills - its not that.

I have removed the glovebox and secured evrything behind the glove box

I have taken apart the seatbelt mechanism, while I can get that to make noise, its not the same noise though.

I have raised the car and gotten underneath and removed a few peices of gravel from tiny crevices - just in case - that wasn't it..

What's left? Raising seat = rattle. Lowering seat fully = no rattle.

Next attack: Seat rails and everything with motors/mechanical under the passenger seat. I wish I had the balls (and skill and time and directions) to remove the whole seat and then drive around and see if the noise was gone.

Archived