Ecoboost Owner Forums

door/pillar rattle

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm' date=' I don't believe there that difficult. My guess there held in my 2-4 bolts, I'm pretty sure on mine the covered by a piece of plastic trim. Will investigate more tomorrow, but I'd be surprise if they took more the 10mins to remove. Considering there installed in 45 seconds.[/quote']

Yes, that's true, maybe the in depth part of the repair was taking the seats apart to replace stuff...just not sure.

• 4 weeks later...

So, anyone figure out what this amazingly annoying rattle is? Been to a couple different dealers who amazingly all say they don't hear it, even when I point it out on a drive. But so goes my experience with the Ford dealerships around here....

Yeah, with the cold we've been experiencing, this week the rattle is my teeth chattering from the weather! And now we are having snow to add to the cold!!!:RpS_cursing: This is the weather that makes me ask: "Why oh why did I ever leave South Florida and move back to Pennsylvania?":fish:

• 2 months later...

So... we think we found the rattle. Found a different Ford dealership, that, at least for this first thing seems to be on the ball. The rattle, in my case, seems to be coming from the front rail cover of the passenger seat. Front left to be exact (if you are sitting in the passenger seat looking out the front window). They are taking my car tomorrow to pull it and see what it is exactly. I asked them to take pictures if possible, or give me some detailed insight so I could relay it here.

I thought it was the seat back as tapping it would cause the sound and putting pressure on it would stop the sound. But with multiple people in there, that's where they all seemed to agree on, front rail cover.....

I will check that out on mine, please report back if it fixes it and any other details you may have. Much appreciated.

And just to clarify, when you say front left seat rail, you are talking about the part on the floor, sometimes called the seat track?

I will check that out on mine, please report back if it fixes it and any other details you may have. Much appreciated.

And just to clarify, when you say front left seat rail, you are talking about the part on the floor, sometimes called the seat track?

I called it a track, they corrected me and called it a rail.... But yeah, same difference... potato potatoe, etc.

Though, he said they didn't see anything obvious that would be causing the rattle, though everyone seems to agree that it was coming from that area. So they took the whole passenger seat, tracks, everything out of the car. Then put it all back in and say they haven't heard it since. They still have the car though, I mentioned another rattle (from the overhead, put pressure on the corner closest to the windshield on the passenger side and it stops), that two of the service guys heard on a test drive when they were seeing if the seat rattle was fixed. So I just told them to keep it, don't need the car for awhile.

It is quite refreshing to finally find a Ford dealership that gets me about the same service I get at my Audi dealership. Just had to go through 5 of them.....

I feel for the poor service guy that got me as a customer now, lol. In any case, he is taking detailed notes so I can try to relay it all here once I get it back.

There is a wire harness in the headliner above the passenger side front seat towards the windshield. This has for some, caused problems for people before. I think it might even be mentioned in this thread.

As for the seat well, I shoved a towel in that area before we left for DC, and never heard it on the trip. You may have solved this for me! There is a decorative cap towards the front seat rail, and I suspect that is what was making the noise. If I don't hear it on the entire trip back, I will take the towel out and find a more permanent way to secure the cap.

There is a wire harness in the headliner above the passenger side front seat towards the windshield. This has for some' date=' caused problems for people before. I think it might even be mentioned in this thread.[/quote']

Post #19 on page 2 of this thread. ;)

-Rod

So... we think we found the rattle. Found a different Ford dealership, that, at least for this first thing seems to be on the ball. The rattle, in my case, seems to be coming from the front rail cover of the passenger seat. Front left to be exact (if you are sitting in the passenger seat looking out the front window). They are taking my car tomorrow to pull it and see what it is exactly. I asked them to take pictures if possible, or give me some detailed insight so I could relay it here.

I thought it was the seat back as tapping it would cause the sound and putting pressure on it would stop the sound. But with multiple people in there, that's where they all seemed to agree on, front rail cover.....

Had the same rattle soon after buying vehicle-used, 18000 mile. Dealer traced to seat rail. Replaced and rattle went away-for several thousand miles. It is intermittent, and only when no passenger. With passenger it is never present. Then it will come back for a few days and disappear again for months. Last time in for service, writer asked if I had heard door rattle as his technician had discovered it in pre-service test ride. I explained the history. Will get them to look further as I get time. Not noticed on good road-only over bumps. Radio will obscure it.

I have traced mine to the power seat track/rail in the drivers seat. I can wiggle from side to side in the seat an hear it. My dealer tied down everything under the seat to no avail, Speeding up slowing down and going over certain bumps it can be heard. If I place the seat all the way back and to the bottom I can no longer feel/hear it. unfortunately I am only 5'8" so that's not really an option. My dealer is going to replace the entire seat track/rail in an attempt to fix it. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

The whole removal and reinstall seems to have fixed the passenger seat rattle for me so far. Was great having a rattle free vehicle, but that came to an end after 2 days. The rattle from the back seat (which I swear is the led brake light) is back, and a more high pitched and noticeable rattle then it was before a previous dealer "fixed" it. And then, of course with the passenger seat rattle gone, my other rattle from the overhead is much much more noticeable, lol. I'll go try to find the wire harness in that area.

my rattle is officially fixed. Drove from Michigan to Washington DC and back and never heard it. It was the little plastic end cap on the left front passenger seat rail, t.owards the front of the rail, rattling against the metal rail itself. I am guessing that the reason why the noise seemed to go away when I lowered the seat all the way is that with the seat lowered, it was muffling the sound.

my rattle is officially fixed. Drove from Michigan to Washington DC and back and never heard it. It was the little plastic end cap on the left front passenger seat rail' date=' t.owards the front of the rail, rattling against the metal rail itself. I am guessing that the reason why the noise seemed to go away when I lowered the seat all the way is that with the seat lowered, it was muffling the sound.[/quote']

That's been bothering you for quite some time! It must feel real good.

• 1 year later...

Glad you found this. Be advised that there are slight rubbing and tugging noises coming the seat belt assembly as well in the 2010 sho model. Probably affects others as well. But sounds like to took a look at this already. Very faint and finally just pinpointed it a few weeks ago. It's caused by expansion and contraction of the belt. Also seat rub makes a slight creak or rub as well, regardless of what you may be wearing.

Just more noises identifications in case people are searching.

Archived