Ecoboost Owner Forums

Winter Tires for the Factory 20's

Just to add on the importance of winter tires:

They remain softer when it is cold so it takes less disctance to brake. Could be the difference between an accident or not. It's true that the all-season are impressive, but they are mainly because of the AWD system, not necessarely because they are great tires. They are worth crap in the cold when it is time to brake or do a fast manoeuvre. Anywhere where it goes under freezing point for more than 2 months should not even consider keeping their all-season, they are imo more dangerous than the ones street racing! Think about it...

I agree with you completely on this Steve, I just mentioned the Revo's simply because they were such a great tire, with their aggressive tread and super performance in all conditions, but these were on an F-150 and it also had 4 wheel drive. Just that I have found that most Bridgestone tires seem to be pretty impressive, but if you are driving a lot in winter conditions, there is no substitute for winter tires they will be worth their weight in gold in nasty conditions. But I am not surprised that you are pleased with the Blizzard tires.

Had my first drive on icy slippery conditions. I have the stock (MKS) 20's and Michelin Primacy MXV4 OEM tires with about 8,000 miles on them. I was very very pleased.

The car felt confident taking off and stopping. I liked how under hard acceleration from a stop, the back end kicked out more (so no "snow plowing" as experienced with pure FWD). I was not sure how the power was going to be distributed between front and rear in real world driving, but like how it functions. Cornering did not feel as secure but I really did not have time to experiment. Much better than my 06 SRX V8 AWD was, but of course, not as good as my Tahoes or Escalade. However, I dont feel the need for dedicated winter tires/rims at this time. I was really worried about 20s in the winter, but they seem pretty good. VERY happy about that!

Yeah, overall I'm quite happy with how my car has been handling on the snow packed/icy roads. We almost never see black ice around here so I'm not too worried about that and I've gone through some fairly deep snow already and the car doesn't miss a beat. I managed to sell my tires to a friends dad. He just happened to have a Jeep Liberty with the Jet package that comes with 20's and they conveniently run a 245/50R20 tire from the factory :D So I sold him them at cost, minus shipping so I'm only out the shipping one way instead of both.

• 2 months later...

I bought a 2nd set of oem rims and went with Pirelli 245/45/20 scorpion snow and ice tires. I'm very satisfied with the performance so far. I'm in Wisconsin and February has been full of snow. The F1s were DANGEROUS in this climate. I had to drive the SHO like I was grandma lol. I wanted to keep the factory look :)

Jason

Archived