Ecoboost Owner Forums

Official Chicago Assembly Plant Photo Shoot.... Nov. 3rd, 2012

bpd1151

Awesome Mike! Great photo's! Great day! Next time your in the D I will arrange a tour of my plant.

I would truly be honored.

I never met a more grounded, down to earth, group of individuals all under one roof, as I had the pleasure of meeting today.

The Ford employees were just so welcoming, and each person appeared to truly be enjoying their employment there.

It was refreshing, nice site to see. I can imagine the Detroit plant would be equally as impressive.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't mind my asking' date=' what kind of camera was it that was used to take the video in post # 17 ??[/b']

Not sure really. I can find out.

I wasn't really paying all too much attention to what they (my photog pla & his partner) were doing, as I was tagging along and listening intently to the individual providing the tour.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Each of you would really be impressed with how much quality control goes into each aspect of the vehicle assembling process.

Our tour lasted literally almost 5hrs long and it made me even more proud to be driving a Ford after the tour ended.

Simply amazing stuff to see it all in action.

I tend to be a highly organized individual (think along the lines of anal retentive) and to see the organization, and efficiency in which this plant operated, was bar none, impressive!

:hail: FMC CAP :hail:

I just had a chance to look at these again, with more time, and man they are great photos! I would love Ford to sell a an Interceptor to the public. A true stripped down hot rod for less than 29K!!!!! Thanks again for posting - I have a new screen saver now. :hail:

Great pics Mike thanks! I would like to see this myself somebody. Noticed you had a photo of a 3 wheel "workman" bike. Think that was interesting? I worked at a Mitsu plant and now work at a Caterpillar plant. I have seen thousands of these heavy duty 3 wheel bikes. Heck I had a little 3 wheel gas car for around the plant at one time.

Great pics Mike thanks! I would like to see this myself somebody. Noticed you had a photo of a 3 wheel "workman" bike. Think that was interesting? I worked at a Mitsu plant and now work at a Caterpillar plant. I have seen thousands of these heavy duty 3 wheel bikes. Heck I had a little 3 wheel gas car for around the plant at one time.

Funny you mention about your desire to see this plant someday.

Although this is completely premature on my part, and there'd be so many variables involved..... finding hotels for everyone, an open/available track, re-contacting the plant and seeing if they'd be open to a larger tour say sometime Summer of 2013??

But anyhow, I was contacted by a member from a different community the other day and he sent me this PM:

Howdy

I stumbled onto your thread where you got a tour of the Chicago assembly plant. Was wondering if perhaps you could help me out.

I am a member of a few Crown Vic forums and was responsible for setting up group tours of the St. Thomas assembly plant where Crown Vics used to be built. The Crown Vic is no more and neither is the plant.

We used to have a large gathering of club members at the assembly plant, got a tour of the factory, went racing at a local track and overall had a good time. People showed up from all over the country for this event. In 2010 we ended up in Car Craft magazine.

Anyway, since the St. Thomas plant is no more and Crown Vic replacement is the Taurus I've been pondering the idea of getting a tour of the Chicago plant next summer. I tried to set it up last summer but got shut down by Ford.

Since you were able to get inside, perhaps you have better contacts than me and would be interested in doing a joint Taurus/Crown Vic event next summer? Multi car club gathering, tour of the plant and any anything else that may be thought of along the way?

Here is a group pic from last tour that we did in 2011.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1239[/ATTACH]

best

Serge

So, I told him that there were a lot of variables to consider, but I am initially receptive to the concept and that I'd post something here on EBOF to see what / how the membership here responds.

So umm there it is..... ball tossed out into the pit.

Excellent pictures and video Mike' date=' don't know how i missed them the first time.[/b']

Thanks, and sometimes things are easy to miss. I'd put a sticky on it, but I refrained from doing so, for not wanting it to appear I was favoring, or taking advantage of my SM abilities.

I am trying to get a lil more photo shoot time in with my photographer this coming Saturday, as I had to cut our day short last Saturday (right after the tour) as my middle child was performing in a rather important, regional type of concert event.

So, most of the pics are of the plant itself (understandably so) but there weren't as many pics of my car as I was hoping for, and considering it's been like 2yrs since my photographer pal last shot my car, I am trying to obtain more accordingly.

I'll keep 'ya posted and if we're able to pull it off (as the weather is supposed to be close to 70 degrees here in ChiTown this Saturday) then I'll post the additional pics here.

Thanks for all the comments from everyone who's posted here..... :thumb:

I'm glad you like the pics and it was a rare opportunity, so always fun to share with all my fellow EcoBooster's here :yo:

Cool deal Mike. I don't know why the Chicago plant doesn't host a event every year for owners. We do here at the mustang plant every year. Perhaps that something we should look into as group/car club would promote the brand and draw PR.

Maybe FRAP can change that if / when the Taurus heads up here. I work at MAP btw.

Good job Mike!

Wow! Can't believe the steps it takes to get into a Ford Plant. Guess I was spoiled being able to get into the Norfolk Assembly Plant that built the F series pick ups for many years with my dad basically anytime I wanted to. After 40 years, I guess you have some seniority huh? I recall watching a truck come from a stripped chasis to a rolling vehicle in no time, all while nearly deafening me at the same time. I sure do miss the Norfolk plant (1925-2007), and my dad (1940-2012). May they both RIP.

• 1 month later...

Well........

I tried to the best of my ability, to obtain production pics of an ordered, 2013, Taurus SHO, in Tuxedo Black for fellow EBOF member Leadfoot.

He PM'd me his V.I.N. to which, I forwarded same to a person I've come to know at the Chicago Assembly Plant following my wonderful tour.

There were many delays, emails exchanged, excuses provided, etc. and yesterday I finally received some images in my email inbox, from this individual at the CAP.

Much to my dismay though, they were of an entirely different vehicle, and NOT the one owned (and ordered) by Leadfoot.

Anyhow, rather than have them go to waste, I figured at the very least, to post them here within this thread, for each of you to view accordingly.

Hope they're of some interest and perhaps offer an addt'l glimpse into the various production steps involved when it comes to assembling our wonderful SHO's.

To that end, here's what I received ------------------------>

2013SHO19.jpg

2013SHO21.jpg

2013SHO17.jpg

2013SHO5.jpg

2013SHO11.jpg

2013SHO7.jpg

2013SHO12.jpg

2013SHO15.jpg

2013SHO3.jpg

2013SHO1.jpg

2013SHO13.jpg

Needless to say, my attempt(s) were genuine, and it is unfortunate that I wasn't able to procure actual images of Leadfoot's SHO.

Not sure where the drop in communication occurred, but needless to say, I may avoid future request(s) for similar photos knowing how much of a hassle it was just trying to obtain the images I did ultimately end up receiving.

Oh well. A valiant effort regardless.

Sorry Leadfoot. :noidea:

Actually not to difficult, I pull cars for people co-works all the time and give them a little extra tlc. But suspect some wires got crossed with the vin, number miss placed or in correct. But we do put cars in numeric order but not by vin but rather by a commit number, and every department generate it on commit number for the car. So possible got commit number for the wrong department.

Archived