Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 with PP. Anyone tried better pads to help stopping power?

Even with the PP, i am finding the brakes to be a little under powered on the car. There is never any fade, but initial bite just isnt there. I find myself comming to a stop way to hot (fast) for where i expect the car to stop.

My previous car had big 4 piston brembo brakes with hawk street pads on a car 400 pounds lighter. I think I may have just been spoiled.

Anyway. Has anyone successfully changed to better / different pads and recieved some good results?

same. They are very consistant regardless of temp. Which is great when i push em.

My drive home from work has a short trip on the highway after several miles of "normal" driving. i would consider the pads to be at optimum temp (not too hot, not too cold) when i exit the highway each day. It's a long straight off ramp I have been taking for 18 years now accross 6 different cars.

It's the best apples to apples test i can do.

While the '13 are much better the previous SHO setup its still not the most responsive or best feeling brakes out there. I personally don't mind how they feel, pedal feel is really good as far as stopping. As far as aftermarket option there are non as of right now for the '13 SHO with PP. Since the '13 PP has larger rotors and different calipers they user different pads than non-pp cars. I typically run hawk pads(HPS & HP+) but i don't know if we will have a aftermarket option.

If your having issues with braking feel you may need to bed your pads in again, like you do with hawk pads. That help your issue, then again like you said going from to a heavy sports sedan from a lighter one is going to throw you off.

• 2 weeks later...
same. They are very consistant regardless of temp. Which is great when i push em.

Gotta push 'em harder. ;) I managed to get a bit of fade doing a class at the track, warped the bejeezus out of the rotors (for a horrid moan while stopping), and had the AWD shut down until it cooled a bit.

But unless you're approaching a turn and slowing from 110 to 40, they're pretty good for a car this big.

I run Porterfield R4S's on my SpecB. I liked them more than the Hawks and EBC offerings. They use to offer a custom option where they put thier material onto your plates. So you can send them a set of pads and they will send you back some with thier better material. It's just gonna cost you as I doubt anyone has torn through a set of 2013 pads yet. ;)

I am not sure if they still offer the service though... call and ask?