Ecoboost Owner Forums

Stick driver rear tire keeps loosing air pressure

I bought my 2013 Taurus SHO with PP from a dealership about 3 hours away from where I live. I already took my vehicle to them once before because of this.

Basically, my rear driver tire looses about 15 psi every 2-3 days. After I took the car to them, they said nothing was wrong, drained and refilled with nitrogen and then gave it back. About a month later, it started again. I live in Arizona and we have had a few cold snaps lately, but neither of my trucks are doing this. And if it was indeed the cold snap, shouldn't all of my tires be doing this?

Any ideas?

So they found no hole in it?

Do you know if they broke it down and checked the bead?

Best solution, IMO (if you have the tools), jack the car up in the driveway and remove the tire. Find a large vessel that will hold water and submerge the tire. Find the leak and get it fixed at a local tire shop.

If you don't have a vessel big enough, just use a cup of water and pour water around the bead (where tire meets wheel) to look for bubbles. If none there, then stand it up (as if it was on car going down road) and roll it while running a slow hose on it. This should also make bubbles where any air is coming out.

I'll second everything racecrew said but add one favorite trick I've used. Take an old spray bottle like a windex or whatever and add just a touch of detergent to the water. Sprits the tire & wheel all over. The soap makes the water adhere to the tire better and as a bonus it makes better bubbles.

I just had a very similar situation. I have a '13 PP as well, the light came on one Sunday, so i spent nearly all morning finding a place with N2. Got it filled and about a week and half later the light came on again, two days ago. Took it to the dealer, because I know they have N2, took them about an hour but they finally found the leak. It was a very small pin-hole, no nail or anything of the like, just a really small hole. They patched it for $10 and I was on my way.

I just went through this with my PP sho. Long story short front passenger wheel had hairline crack along the edge where the tire seals to the rim. It was on the inside edge so had to have the car on the lift to see it. Barely bubbled, finally saw it after the soap and water trick. Mine took like week and a half to get low enough for tpms alarm to come on. Good luck hopefully that isnt what your problem is. I had to buy another wheel.

Factory doesn't fill them with N2, dealerships do it when they want to. If you have N2 your valve stem caps should be green and have N2 on them. If you added air to that it's not going to hurt anything, just go back to filling with N2 the next time. If you don't have those caps then all is well. From my experiance nearly all dealerships have N2 fill stations and most Costcos and Sam's have N2. No Discount tires or NTB's have N2 around me surprisingly. Also from my experiance they don't charged to add N2 after the initial fill.