Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 Transmission hesitation

I've noticed on my '13 SHO PP stock that when I sometimes floor it after a roll (turning onto a highway) that it goes and then when it shifts, does something weird that is hard for me to explain. The RPMs go low like it upshifted but then the passengers feel the force as if I'm braking... then it will snap out of it and go again. It has only happened twice but seems concerning. The only common denominator is that the car wasn't fully warmed up.

Sorry for being so vague.

Any ideas?

I noticed on my 2011 that when I ran it hard it almost felt like it feels when your driving a sticks shift and miss a gear. I have been told that this is due to the factory programming in the Ford ecu. This car is ment to be a "luxury" car so ford didnt want you to "feel" the shifts. They accomplished this by retarding the timing and boost during shifts. This problem is INSTANTLY cured by the LMS tune!

Your post was kinda vague...so I hope that helps.

I've noticed something similar...maybe. The way I describe my situation is I would be rolling with my foot off the gas so the transmission is in a high gear, probably 5th. Once I punch the gas it starts to go, trying in 5th, but realizes I am asking for it to be in 2nd instead by flooring it. At that point it will hesitate as it is shifting down to 2nd, which can make you go forward in the seat, and then takes off like a bat out of hell. Does that sound similar? In my situation I have had other automatics do the same thing when down shifting so many gears so it seemed normal to me. That being said, is it only when you are flooring it or also normal driving? I know I always try to make sure everything is up to temp before pushing it hard and I know others have had some weird occurrences with the shifts while the transmission was still cold. Maybe that does have something to do with it and hopefully some of them will chime in as well.

I noticed the same hesitation I think you're talking about BEFORE the LMS tune. I think travSHO is correct for the main reason for this. Also, the shifting (lurching) was common with mine if you got on the gas before it was warmed up. Could be a combination of the 2. It did go away once LMS Tune was installed.