Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 Alignment Issues

I went to the dealership a few weeks ago before taking a long road trip and asked them to check the alignment on the car due to some uneven wear I was noticing, outside half of the F1 tires were wearing out faster. They came back and said that those tires tend to wear that way and said they felt the alignment was ok, but they went on to say they didn't know for sure because they couldn't put the car on the alignment rack due to the wheels on the 2013 having no lip to them, instead the rim of the wheel is flat. They claimed the machine would scratch up the wheels because of this. I was perplexed at how a Ford Dealership couldn't align a vehicle with stock Ford wheels so I asked them if they were telling me I needed to take the car somewhere else for future alignments and they said yes or they could swap tires from another non-SHO Taurus and then swap back afterwards. I wasn't going to push for an alignment anyway at the time because I will be lowering it soon and will need one then anyway. Move forward to today and I went to another shop to ask them if they could align it and inquire about lowering the car and they basically told me the same thing, however, this one atleast brought out one of the heads that attaches to the wheels and showed me what they were referring to and sure enough, the way they would have to attach it to the wheel it would scratch the painted surface of the wheel. They do have nylon ends that would be gentler on them but there would still be a chance of scratching or marring. At this point I think I'm going to have the shop I visited today lower the car and then take it to the dealership to swap wheels and align it, the shop today wouldn't have an extra set lying around or I would just have them do it. Has anyone else ran in to this or know more about the subject? I figured if I had ran in to this others might as well.

• 4 weeks later...
I went to the dealership a few weeks ago before taking a long road trip and asked them to check the alignment on the car due to some uneven wear I was noticing' date=' outside half of the F1 tires were wearing out faster. They came back and said that those tires tend to wear that way and said they felt the alignment was ok, but they went on to say they didn't know for sure because they couldn't put the car on the alignment rack due to the wheels on the 2013 having no lip to them, instead the rim of the wheel is flat. They claimed the machine would scratch up the wheels because of this. I was perplexed at how a Ford Dealership couldn't align a vehicle with stock Ford wheels so I asked them if they were telling me I needed to take the car somewhere else for future alignments and they said yes or they could swap tires from another non-SHO Taurus and then swap back afterwards. I wasn't going to push for an alignment anyway at the time because I will be lowering it soon and will need one then anyway. Move forward to today and I went to another shop to ask them if they could align it and inquire about lowering the car and they basically told me the same thing, however, this one atleast brought out one of the heads that attaches to the wheels and showed me what they were referring to and sure enough, the way they would have to attach it to the wheel it would scratch the painted surface of the wheel. They do have nylon ends that would be gentler on them but there would still be a chance of scratching or marring. At this point I think I'm going to have the shop I visited today lower the car and then take it to the dealership to swap wheels and align it, the shop today wouldn't have an extra set lying around or I would just have them do it. Has anyone else ran in to this or know more about the subject? I figured if I had ran in to this others might as well.[/quote']

Sorry to hear about that? Weird story you are getting from your dealer. I just had mind done today at my dealer and they had none of those issues. I had my alignment done do to the fact I installed new springs. But they did the alignment and didn't scratch the wheels. I would definitely take it elsewhere if you can.