Ecoboost Owner Forums

Front end Clunk after lowering?

Anyone experience a clunk after lowering their SHO with new springs? I've noticed a few times after the Eibach install, a light clunk while turning hard left from a stop or near stop. I've driven ~80 miles since the Eibachs and have heard it 3 times in that span. I've only got 2100 miles on the SHO so I'm not sure if it was there before the drop (never really listened closely before the drop). Doesn't happen when turning right. I've removed the wheel and checked everything again but nothing seems out of place. Thoughts?

I've experience the same thing Got5' date=' and I believe I have others mention before as well. I don't know why or how it's happening it only happens once in a while for me. And everything is secure and tight, so I haven't been letting it bother me.[/quote']

Whew, at least I know I'm not the only one. Definitely some relief. :)

I will do the same and blast the music to drown it out.

The lower CVC joint is a "fixed" CVC and it is held in by a clip on inside the joint.

If not done properly this can come out and the spline starts to float in and out. It may need to be popped back in?

Just guessin....

Ruh Roh, you definitely got my attention with this. When you say lower do you mean the inner CV?

I've driven mine on Eibacks for more than 5K miles without issues and I am very particular when it comes to noise. Once I heard a thump towards the back after having the car up on jacks at the dealer but that's about it. That's probably one of the rear spring settling. That was more than 4K miles ago. I've made tons of U-turns, tight turns forward and in reverse, taking humps faster than I should, etc.

If anything else, I get an annoying creaking noise somewhere (am thinking door frame flexing) when making a left up my driveway or over a hump (anyhwere where it's an uneven surface).

Thanks guys for the replies. It definitely only occurred when I turned left from a stop or near stop. My first thought was tie rod or sway bar link. It's not a loud clunk/pop. But I could hear it with nothing on in the cabin. I'm going to keep an eye on it the next week or so and see if I hear it again.

Got5 mine does the exact same thing. Only from a stop and turning left. And not every time either' date=' I will also monitor more closely. And we can figure out it is, I doubt it's my cv joint since I never pulled on it when doing my spring install.[/quote']

I've gone over speed bumps, uneven roads at high speed, hard turns, and nothing yet today. I can live with it if it's intermittent. I've lived with worse in other vehicles, no doubt. :)

So today, the infamous clunk returned. My cars been sitting since Friday night and first thing thing when I back out of my inclined driveway, pop. As I'm backing out I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and it pops as I'm transitioning from my inclined driveway to the street. I was able to replicate this several times. I run my errands this morning and I noticed on a hard turn right another pop. Get home and try to replicate the pop up & down my driveway and couldn't do it. Tried a ton of times with no luck. So I'm scratching my head now.

One thing I did notice, when in full turn the tire actually goes under the spring perch....

Mine hasn't made peep since we start discussing. Could you elaborate more on your statement about tire going under perch? The tire should always be in the same relation with spring perch as they are mount to each other. Now the only way it could have a change in the relationship if the cross bolt that affixes the strut to steering knuckle is not installed or improperly installed.

Turn your steering wheel all the way to the right. Look at the driver side lower spring perch on the shock in relation to the tire. The tire actually goes underneath it a little when in full turn. Definitely surprised me, but there appears to be enough clearance that it won't be an issue.

Another update, after driving it around most of the day, I could not get it to clunk/pop since first thing in the morning. I took routes around town with lots of hills, twists, etc. and nothing. I'm in for the night so teh car will sit for 12+ hours before I take my kids to school in the morning. We'll see what happens...

This mornings update with no clunk/pop. Not a peep and I've been driving since about 830am. I'm wondering if a the spring was settling or if it was slightly off the perch and worked its way back in? Quick glance underneath and nothing seems out of the ordinary. I guess I'll just cross my fingers that it really is gone for good.

Congratulations, this is good to hear. I know I have heard of this problem before and some owners have had an issue after car was serviced (up on a lift) I have had my car serviced several times and have never heard the pop or bang. I am still trying to convince the service manager about the elusive bump of the trannie (not what your thinking) :boink: I better clarify, for some of the jokesters on the forum...I meant the bump of the transmission at lower/ coasting speeds...

Archived