Ecoboost Owner Forums

2011 SHO - A few troubles... (Noises, sluggish acceleration)

My 2011 SHO has developed a couple problems, and I cannot really figure out what's up.

1. A few times now, after I'm leaving work, I am leaving my space by immediately making a hard right out of my parking space. I drive straight into my spot, but think of it as me being backed into a parking space. When I'm moving forward with the wheel turned, I have heard numerous times a really high pitched squeak. It goes away after I mash the brakes and does not return. I have caught this happening only after I leave work and the car has sat for 8-9 hours. This sounds like a brake related issue, but it's strange that it never comes back.

2. This one is similar to the previous, but it's not a squeak. When I turn my wheel to the right, I've noticed a fast paced clicking sound. It's hardly audible, but I hear it when it echoes off of objects or I'm turning my wheel to the right and I'm slowly preparing to back into my driveway. I thought it was a stuck rock in my tire, but I felt all four of them and found nothing. It's also much faster paced clicking as it happens several times in a full tire rotation. Think of it as a baseball card flapping between the spokes on a bicycle wheel, that's about how often I hear it happen.

3. This is the most annoying of them all, and I've only caught a few people complaining about it in my brief research. From a standstill, this car has absolutely zero power. 0-40 is balls slow, and then after 40 you can finally feel power kick in. It almost feels stronger if you ease into it, but I even half expect to break the tires loose. I am trying to convince my neighbor to get a SHO instead of a Charger, and I'm sure the very first time I went 0-40 by mashing the petal to the metal, he wasn't impressed.... because I know I wasn't. I absolutely CANNOT break the tires loose, and I've only got the stock Goodyear Eagle RS-A's, which already suck. I've tried doing a simple burnout with traction control off, and I can mash my food to the ground with my foot on the brake, and nothing... no spin whatsoever. In a normal car, you'd be roasting your tires.

I know when I'm trying to accelerate from getting off the highway (65mph) onto a county road (55mph) that has no stop in-between, the car takes forever to get from 35-60. I'm not sure if this part is just the crappy transmission tuning and a Livernois tune will fix this, but I wanted to throw this into the mix.

I don't by any means romp on it on a daily basis, especially from zero to whatever, but I noticed it the couple times I tried and it's definitely an issue.

Any ideas are welcome!

My SHO has 28500 miles on the clock and the factory warranty expires in November, if I don't hit the miles first. I do have the Ford aftermarket warranty up to 75k miles or Nov. 2017, but then visits cost me $100. The only mod I have is a K&N intake. I've only been to the dealer once for an oil change, and they didn't say anything about the intake. This particular dealer is not where I bought the car from, but it's practically in my backyard whereas the dealer I bought my car from is 35 miles (or about an hour) away.

Thanks!

-Brian

Not sure about you other issue's, there is however some TSB's as to being sluggish. But as to brake torquing, a AWD drive car. You should realize that can't be done, its AWD. Beside that your cars performance does seem to be lacking, so it my be in need of some TSB's. Also search out the forum for knock sensor wire chaffing another huge performance killer. Fuel also regular gas won't cut it if your looking for performance. Don't know where your at climate wise, but right it looks like much of the country is hot as hell this doesn't help either. The K&N CAI I believe I've read really kills IAT due to the heat the aluminum tube absorbs, high IAT's will make your car very sluggish off the line. So may want to switch back and give that a shot, and if you take to the dealer for performances issues I would also change out.

Not sure about you other issue's' date=' there is however some TSB's as to being sluggish. But as to brake torquing, a AWD drive car. You should realize that can't be done, its AWD. Beside that your cars performance does seem to be lacking, so it my be in need of some TSB's. Also search out the forum for knock sensor wire chaffing another huge performance killer. Fuel also regular gas won't cut it if your looking for performance. Don't know where your at climate wise, but right it looks like much of the country is hot as hell this doesn't help either. The K&N CAI I believe I've read really kills IAT due to the heat the aluminum tube absorbs, high IAT's will make your car very sluggish off the line. So may want to switch back and give that a shot, and if you take to the dealer for performances issues I would also change out. [/quote']

I'll have to dig up TSB's. I know the couple posts that I ran into mentioned TSB's, and one of them linked to a website that looked like I could get some good details. It was weird that only the PDF's pulled up, but the website itself was having problems. With that said, I couldn't dig anymore there.

Edit: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ is the website that I saw previously linked on another post.

I'm around Milwaukee, WI, so it is definitely hot as hell. When I took my neighbor for a spin, it was roughly 75 degrees that time. I'll be honest, I figured since this car is front wheel bias and the AWD only kicks in when it needs, I figured some spin would have happened. But I'm quite unfamiliar with this AWD setup, so it's good to know brake torquing won't work here. It's even more strange that I couldn't squawk the tires from a standstill and mashing the gas, or even giving it more than normal throttle period. I drove my G8 for the first time the other day, and I noticed how easy it was to break the tires loose with little throttle. She's also a heavy beast, but RWD probably helps that one. I think this is what got me started and more frustrated with the SHO.

I'll have to look up that knock sensor issue. I know one post that I read mentioned it, but I didn't research it further.

Fuel wise, I always load up on 93 octane from my local Shell station. I've put 89 in the tank before, but I see better fuel mileage out of 93 (~2mpg), so I figured what the heck.

I will definitely switch out the intake when I decide to go to the dealer. I know installing it took me a whopping 15 minutes. I will also see what it's like with the stock intake in place.

Its been a long since my car was stock, but I don't recall ever being able to break the tires lose while stock even if brake torqued up 1st. But you don't want wheel spins, if fact most of us in the 500hp plus club are trying to stop wheel spin. And with the AWD drive system quick shuts down any wheel spin as not to damage the system. But wheel spin is false since of power, just watch some videos of these cars at the track against camero's, mustangs, etc. While these cars are smoking there tires the are getting left behind. These cars can be real rockets out of the hole.

While my problem was similar' date=' mine happened while I was already moving. Wouldn't accelerate as quickly all the time. Knew it was trans related, but dealer cannot duplicate. Put a tune on, problem gone. Hope that helps. Did you buy it new?[/quote']

I've wanted to get a tune, but I'm slightly hesitant due to the Ford aftermarket warranty that I shelled good money out for. Not only that, but I wanted to buy a tune for the G8 at the same time or first. I just bought the car in March, so I've only put around 5-6k on the clock so far.

I'd check for the wire chaffing and make sure you have the newer rev spark plugs for starters.

​I'll poke my head underneath hopefully sometime soon and take a look.

Its been a long since my car was stock' date=' but I don't recall ever being able to break the tires lose while stock even if brake torqued up 1st. But you don't want wheel spins, if fact most of us in the 500hp plus club are trying to stop wheel spin. And with the AWD drive system quick shuts down any wheel spin as not to damage the system. But wheel spin is false since of power, just watch some videos of these cars at the track against camero's, mustangs, etc. While these cars are smoking there tires the are getting left behind. These cars can be real rockets out of the hole.[/quote']

Oh believe me, I know I don't want to spin the wheels if I were out racing. My big point with it all is, I simply cannot do it even if I tried, and I can feel a huge lack of power if I accelerate harder than normal from a stop. That can be potentially dangerous if I need that power to be there.

Before I tuned my car, my biggest gripe is how the trans behaved. Its was slow to react when putting your foot on the gas, the tune immediately changed its behavior. And was my reason for seeking out a tune to begin with.

But I don't believe that entirely your problem, I've had sluggish behavior before and was due to heat soak. But the car didn't want to go until I hit 25mph, but I can't remember how or what I did to remedy it. But only had the issue one summer and never been back.

One simple thing you could try is disconnect the battery for 15mins this will resest the memory and then take for a spin to see if it peps up for you.

Before I tuned my car, my biggest gripe is how the trans behaved. Its was slow to react when putting your foot on the gas, the tune immediately changed its behavior. And was my reason for seeking out a tune to begin with.

But I don't believe that entirely your problem, I've had sluggish behavior before and was due to heat soak. But the car didn't want to go until I hit 25mph, but I can't remember how or what I did to remedy it. But only had the issue one summer and never been back.

One simple thing you could try is disconnect the battery for 15mins this will resest the memory and then take for a spin to see if it peps up for you.

I don't think that should hurt, disconnecting the battery. I am open to ideas and could probably give that a shot tomorrow.

I haven't looked extensively into the SHO mod market, but is there an HSRK that people have been using to get rid of heat soak?

with a tune' date=' and traction control off, they'll spin off the line and on the 1-2 shift. [/quote']

Nice!! Well.... not if you were racing, but you get what I mean! LOL!

As far as my #1 and #2 concerns, I was talking to my neighbor about his wife's Caddy, to find out why it was in the shop. It sounds like he had it in for the exact same noise that I'm hearing, so if it is indeed true, he had some brake pad clips replaced and something else done. Hopefully that's all mine is, as brake system is what I was leaning towards for my noises.

About the spinning...yeah it's AWD man. You'd need a CRAPTON of power to get them really spinning lol. I however get torque steer pretty good from a WOT stomp when at a stop and you can feel the tires barely getting traction but by no means spinning. This is with a stage 2 Livernois tune.

Regarding the tune, I just brought mine in for a blown turbo and it was FULLY covered under warranty. This was with the tune loaded on, a cat back exhaust, and a K&N drop in filter. Of course it depends on the dealership I'm sure.

About the spinning...yeah it's AWD man. You'd need a CRAPTON of power to get them really spinning lol. I however get torque steer pretty good from a WOT stomp when at a stop and you can feel the tires barely getting traction but by no means spinning. This is with a stage 2 Livernois tune.

Regarding the tune, I just brought mine in for a blown turbo and it was FULLY covered under warranty. This was with the tune loaded on, a cat back exhaust, and a K&N drop in filter. Of course it depends on the dealership I'm sure.

I half expect a little chirp, if anything. :-P I know the AWD will help prevent that, which is why I bought this car. I just remember watching a slow-mo video of someone demonstrating how the AWD system works, and you can clearly see the tires spin. I'm not sure if that was with a tune? My car is still a dog from a stop, then you can finally feel some power after 40. My biggest concern is if I need to rapidly accelerate from a stop, the car can't pick up quick enough... and I know it should be able to. Regardless, a tune will come my way eventually. I've not budgeted any cash towards one, but it certainly is nice to hear that people are getting away with tuning this car no problem. Does Ford have any detection to tell that you actually messed with the computers? I know GM does, which is what kept me from tuning my G8 all these years.

I have not had a chance to disconnect the battery, yet. I did grab the intake pipe after driving 20 miles, and it wasn't really hot. I half expected it to be hot, like others have mentioned it probably is, but it wasn't. I'm still curious if there is an HSRK that one can hook up. I'm going to have to look that up shortly, since I'm not the most familiar with the mod market.

Thanks again for all of the replies! :)

I half expect a little chirp, if anything. :-P I know the AWD will help prevent that, which is why I bought this car. I just remember watching a slow-mo video of someone demonstrating how the AWD system works, and you can clearly see the tires spin. I'm not sure if that was with a tune? My car is still a dog from a stop, then you can finally feel some power after 40. My biggest concern is if I need to rapidly accelerate from a stop, the car can't pick up quick enough... and I know it should be able to. Regardless, a tune will come my way eventually. I've not budgeted any cash towards one, but it certainly is nice to hear that people are getting away with tuning this car no problem. Does Ford have any detection to tell that you actually messed with the computers? I know GM does, which is what kept me from tuning my G8 all these years.

I have not had a chance to disconnect the battery, yet. I did grab the intake pipe after driving 20 miles, and it wasn't really hot. I half expected it to be hot, like others have mentioned it probably is, but it wasn't. I'm still curious if there is an HSRK that one can hook up. I'm going to have to look that up shortly, since I'm not the most familiar with the mod market.

Thanks again for all of the replies! :)

Yeah being a dog from a stop is definitely weird though. I know our SHO has us glued to the seat from a WOT stop. Have you checked basic things like spark plugs, wires etc?

If were you and it's still under warranty...I'd just bring it in and tell them about the problem and let them deal with it.

And as far as I know regarding the tunes...the dealer can see when the pcm has been flashed...but that includes disconnecting the battery. Easy cover story if they ask about it. Now with a tune being loaded on there and them seeing it I'm not so sure. My dealer either over looked it or didn't look at all. lol

Well this is interesting... Today, after a 40 mile trip on the highway, I decided to play around on some back roads. Being that this Wisconsin summer has sucked so far, and it's more than 20 degrees below normal this weekend, I figured it would be a good time to try. From a dead stop, she was a dog up until about 15ish, and then I really felt the power. Also, I did romp on it from about that same speed, and good lord have I never felt that kind of power in this car before; I think I might have even had a small amount of wheel spin. Soo... could this be part troubles with the car, part IAT issues? I honestly don't think the K&N intake tubing is very warm after my normal drive on the highway... but part of me wonders if this adds to my problem like suggested. I can grab the tube and it just feels warm, not hot. On my initial post it was in the 70's, so the temperature isn't much cooler now vs. then.

• 1 month later...

Alright, it has been a while since I've had time to visit this. I just reset the KAM and took her out for a spin, and my gosh I've never felt this little 3.5 create so much power on demand. I even got the tires to spin a bit in a turn with harsh acceleration (from a stop and not WOT), which I've never been able to do. Sooo.... chafing wires? I'll have to find out. I looked at those, too, and it looks like the sensor is resting on the motor itself and one of the wires may even be touching. I'll have to check this out in more detail over the weekend, but so far it looks like the car is dumbing itself down and there is nothing physically wrong here. Oh yeah, shifting seemed to be much nicer, too. Not this garbage where it hangs in 5th gear and I want it to be in 2nd or 3rd.

My brake noise may perhaps be a TSB that Ford can fix, and I also noticed a fast paced ticking noise when I turn my wheel to the right.... CV joint??

Hopefully I can get this all taken care of before I head on my trip to Cedar Point in October! :)

I had the light clicking every time i made a hard right as well. I noticed that after a tire rotation it goes away for a few thousand miles then comes back. Ford was unable to figure out what is causing it so i have had to live with it. but it definitely goes away after a tire rotation.

I know I'm due to have the tires rotated, that's for sure. I am unfamiliar with the jack points on this car, so I'll probably just let the dealer do it. I'll have to pay attention if it goes away, should I get 'em rotated before having them check out the other little issues that I've got. :)