Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 guys.... Cold start observations

Any of you 2013 owners have a choppy, rough idle in the morning? Our car ran rough and the pedal was very touchy (before the tune) when it's first started and if you drive it before it's warm bucks like a car with a large aftermarket cams or set of cams.

The tune has improved this greatly, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their car.

-Rick

I notice this too, I have friend with 2013 F150 Eco that does the same thing, kinda runs rough but once warmed up it fine.

I have also noticed that slight hesitation, and depending how hard I get on it, the ecm has stored a code couple times (No MIL light just stored), once warmed up to operating temp...... purs like a cat.

• 4 months later...

Anyone noticing this more pronounced now with the cold weather setting in? Mine only does it if I literally jump right in and drive, if I rev it up once to around 3k or so and then let it settle before I drive, its fine. Otherwise its fine before I get to the end of my street.

Hopefully this doens't make me sound like a moron, but it feels like the turbos are kindof "sticky" when they are cold???

I do the same thing, as well as let the car cool down and idle for maybe 15-20 seconds if I was running the turbos hard very close to the end of my ride. I also try not to engage the turbos when doing a cold start until I see the temp needle at least move off the coldest hash mark. I don't know if doing any of that matters, but it makes me feel better.

And Rick, you and I have discussed idle before. When cold, right upon start up, it is worse but then settles down. So the start up rough idle may be "normal", the other idle issues we discussed, unrelated to any tune, which seem to have been resolved with the CAI install, are a different story.

I've noticed that it idles very heavy and if I drive it without letting it warm up it has a little lag, slightly jumpy acceleration but once it gets warmed up it runs smooth. It's been very cold at night lately (low 30's to mid 20's). I did notice the rare night it was 65 and humid that my idle was almost sputter-like and the drive was almost like my car had been hanging out in Colorado and just wanted to drag itself around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been noticing this issue on my 2013 Ford Explorer Sport, which has about 1100 miles on it now, so I searched the forums to see if this is normal or a sign of a problem. I had first noticed the issue within the first couple days I had it and decided to see if it would go away with a few miles, but there has been no change. Similar to what Rick said in the first post, reminds me of the feel of some of the older muscle cars with the rough idle. I really only experience the rough idle when backing out of the garage & driveway when not even touching the throttle, it's not bad, but noticable, just has that older big motor feel to it. Once in drive on a cold start, there seems to be a noticable hold back of power the first mile or so, and if you push it past 3500 rpm or better, it starts bucking a bit. When driving through neighborhoods, it's not very noticeable since there is not much effort needed to get to 25-30 mph, but when leaving work, I am pulling out onto a 4 lane highway with traffic moving about 55-60 mph, so you kind of have to dip into the throttle just bit more and thats when I notice the bucking issue. But once the engine starts reaching towards normal operating temperatures, it's super smooth running.

But with all that said, I was just mainly curious if aside from the Livernois Tune reducing the issue, (which I do plan to order in about 2 weeks once upto about 2000 miles), has anyone had any luck with mentioning the issue to their dealer and had a TSB or other Re-flash that has improved or eliminated the problem? If the dealer has the ability to improve the issue, I'd just like to get in there and have it straightened out before I retune in a couple weeks. Otherwise, I guess it's not that big of a deal if it is just normal behavior for this engine. Thanks!

I didn't notice too much difference on idle, but if it's in the 20's F it will buck or accelerate rough for about a minute or two while driving. If it's outside in the cold for several hours, I start it and warm it up for 5 minutes first if I can, then no issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not noticed anything like that but a strange thing happened the other day as I was backing up out of the garage. it STALLED out?????? WTF??

Couldn't believe it. It has not happened since. It was chiming and telling me to put it in PARK and I was trying to figure out why and then noticed it wasn't running.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Hmmm, I wonder what Ford had changed in 2013 for this to occur? While my 2011 when cold definitely runs different, and have had a stumble within the first minute of running if I get on to hard. I can't remember where read before, but I guess cold starting of DI motors was troublesome.

No stalling, but when cold (ambient has pretty much been under 45 since I owned the car), the throttle can be very jerky and it will hold 3rd or 4th gear until a silly RPM (like 4K). This is within the first 4 to 10 minutes of run time. I always let it idle for ~2-3 minutes max when cold, then it is another 2 to 4 before I hit the highway. Coolant temp is in the ~115 to 125 range by now and when I get to the bottom of the ramp (very light peddle, slow smooth accel.), I will be sitting at ~65mph and 4K RPM. If you lift, it just slow the car down. Hold it there for another 10 secs and then it shifts to 4th (I think).

I have the same symptoms, kind of act like its is missing. One my co workers has EB-150 and has the same cold starting symptoms. Usually within few minutes it settles down, as for the highway, I pretty sure it a strategy for the trans to warm up... but you can shift it yourself into 6th.(I usually help along, if it bother me too much).

My 1998 SHO would not shift into OD until the trans warmed up.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived