Ecoboost Owner Forums

More clunky stories

I've had no issues for a while and started to relax. I left for several days in Maine....maybe 250 mile outing one way. I wasn't on the road 10 min and I thought I felt a little stumbling but wasn't sure till I hit a little stop and go on the interstate gridlock. Then the problems started. Gentle throttle from crawl gave me a stumble....stumble....clunk....go. Just the way I want to start a road trip. I had several instances of this behavior and then it seemed to settle down and ran fine the whole rest of the trip out. Time to head home and I had similar episode with the addition of one instance of confused shifting back and forth between two gears at slow speed after a stop or a slow down. Once again after maybe 15 miles it seemed to settle down and was fine for the rest of trip back to home base.

I've had the TSB's done quite a while ago and it has been better than it used to be but it feels like the present stumbling is related to tranny program confusion. But why at beginning of a trip. ODO is at 37K and I'm going in for oil change in a few days. Not quite sure how to present this to my dealer and if I should go back to stock tune before taking it in. BTW for what it's worth I can't find any 93 octane in Maine. Makes me glad it is so available in NY. I also paid more for 93 in MA than I ever have. $4.65 that's about $.50 per gallon more than I'm paying at home but after not getting it at all in Maine I wasn't about to quibble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would put the stock tune in for sure, and not mention it. If they find the ECM has been flashed fine, but if they know from the start they may say "all your fault" and walk.

My 2010 trans used to do wacky stuff but it actually all smoothed out when I installed the LMS tune. I am assuming during the TSB they changed your fluid so it probably isnt just trashed fluid... I would take it to a dealer. Only problem will be they will want to re-create issue and if it doesnt do it all the time they may not be able to to.

My symptoms almost exactly. Same mileage as you. My symptoms became significantly more pronounced with the LMS stage 4 tune (only one I tried). I removed the tune and now its back to doing it quite infrequently. Can never reproduce at dealer, so it seems its never going to get fixed. Real shame as I want to run the LMS tunes, but it just acts up so badly. The irony is, cant leave the tune on there to go show the dealer ;-).

Jimmy are you sure your tune file is good? When I first loaded 4 mine wacked out at WOT shifting wise. I dont know if anything happened to the file but Rick sent me 4+++ again, I re-saved and it is perfect. Still dont know what the deal was that first time... Something got messed up from me saving? Not sure.

I'm on my second 4+ file also. My first suffered from poor mileage. The replacement file brought the mileage almost up to stock. I hate to go back to stock for testing purposes but I guess I should. Until recently my problems have been few and I will miss the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to mention that all two times I have loaded the stage 4 tune, I have had issues with it loading. First time, the SCT acted like the vehicle was the wrong vehicle and wouldn't load. Second try that time it loaded. However when I went to go back to stock for service, it said it was the wrong car again and absolutely would not re-load the stock tune. Had to contact SCT directly and they had to remote connect to my pooter and fix the SCT device so it would work. This weekend when I went to re-apply the stage 4 tune, I got an error on the first try that said 'ECU unlock failed' and it just crapped. Second try worked ok. will have to see if I am able to go back to stock when I need to. Dunno if this is a clue or not. Anybody else have issues with applying tunes?

Archived