Ecoboost Owner Forums

Squeaky brakes on 2012 Taurus SHO

I just dropped off my 2012 Taurus SHO (32,000 off highway driving) that was exibiting this exact problem from the TSB outlined below. Dealer just called back and said they sanded down the pads and they 'fixed' the problem in doing so. I'm just curious... what is wrong with the pads and why does sanding them down (and/or replacing them if they are under spec) do to fix the problem? What is the problem? Are they saying the pad is just having some un-even wear ? is the pad material garbage?

Reason I ask, if its not obvious, is this going to happen again? Something I have to fight with all the time? .... have to keep bringing my car in for a brake grinding/sanding to avoid squeaks?

11-10-29 FRONT BRAKES - INTERMITTENT SQUEAL

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 MKS, Flex, Taurus, MKT and Explorer vehicles built between 8/10/2010 and 08/02/2011 and some 2011-2012 Taurus SHO not equipped with the Performance Package built between 8/10/2010 and 8/02/2011 may exhibit a low frequency squeal from the front brakes.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: PERFORMANCE PACKAGE SHO'S ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS PROCEDURE.

The Taurus SHO with the Performance Package is equipped with performance brake pads. Performance package Taurus's can be identified by SHO Performance Package - Performance brake pads, EPAS calibrated steering, ESC track mode/true off, 3.16 final drive ratio, 20" premium painted wheels with performance summer tire compound (P245/45YR) and tire mobility kit and is denoted by option code 12S.

NOTE: IF BRAKE DISC REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED VERIFY IF YOUR DEALERSHIP IS ON THE DIGITAL IMAGING PROGRAM WHICH WILL REQUIRE PRIOR APPROVAL BEFORE REPLACING BRAKE DISCS. DO NOT REMOVE THE DULL GREY COATING ON THE NEW BRAKE DISCS; IT IS CORROSION PROTECTION.

NOTE: IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE INNER AND OUTER BRAKING SURFACES OF THE BRAKE DISCS BE COMPLETELY CLEANED OF ANY METAL DUST, DIRT AND GREASE USING MOTORCRAFT® METAL BRAKE PARTS CLEANER AND A CLEAN RAG.

Measure the thickness of the front brake discs.

If the minimum thickness is over 28.5 mm (1.122") resurface them using an on-vehicle brake lathe, Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-00.

It is very important that all of the machining material has been removed from the front brake discs before installing the caliper and pads.

If the minimum thickness is equal to or less than 28.5 mm (1.122"). Replace the front brake disc, refer to WSM, Section 206-03.

Clean caliper anchor plate mounting surfaces, caliper anchor brackets and bolts of machining material. Refer to WSM, Section 206-03.

Replace the front brake pads. Refer to WSM, Section 206-03.

NOTE: FAILURE TO APPLY THE GREASE MAY RESULT IN UNACCEPTABLE BRAKE NOISE AT LOWER SPEEDS UNDER LIGHT BRAKING.

NOTE: GREASE SHOULD NOT BE APPLIED TO OTHER COMPONENTS LIKE PINS OR SHIMS. DURING BRAKE INSPECTION, LOOK FOR FOREIGN OBJECTS TRAPPED BETWEEN THE DUST SHIELD AND ROTOR. THESE CAN CAUSE NOISE DURING BRAKING AND OFF-BRAKE CONDITIONS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

BB5Z-2001-B Brake Pad Kit

CB5Z-1125-A Brake Disc

W715091-S439 Bracket Bolt

PM-4-A Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

111029A 2011-2012 Taurus, MKS, Flex, Explorer, MKT: Machine Front Brake Discs. (Can Be Used With Operation C If Required). (Cannot Be Used With Operation B) 1.2 Hrs.

111029B 2011-2012 Taurus, MKS, Flex, Explorer, MKT: Replace Front Brake Discs (Can Be Used With Operation C If Required).(Cannot be Used With Operation A) 1.0 Hr.

111029C 2011-2012 Taurus, MKS, Flex, Explorer, MKT: Additional Time For Prior Approval If Required 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

2001 42

Thanks for the replies -

Also, I agree with them not following the TSB exactly. I am going to monitor this for the next couple of days (just got it back last night) and if the problems continue, I'm going to just call Ford customer service and get them to sign off on the repair first and then take it back. These service managers call Ford on our behalf and "Ford" keeps telling them (service managers) NO to everything they recommend. I think a phone call from the customer themselves is going to have an advantage in that they won't be able to say 'no' so easily.

i agree with what Crash says. But it does not sound like they followed the TSB exactly. If you havent had your brakes done before' date=' your discs are probably going to be less than the minimum outlined in the TSB, and they should have replaced your rotors also.[/quote']

Archived